Former coach watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former coach watch

Darryl Smith currently has the Nanooks of Alaska-Fairbanks looking "more mentally tough" according to the Newsminer Fairbanks paper, although he is quoted in the paper as saying from HIS perspective, he has been disappointed that they seem to play that way for only a 4 or 5 minute spurt. Record is currently 3-4, and they are improving quickly, so I would anticipate that he will finish better than the 12-14 record last year under the previous coach.

Jane Albright currently has a 3-3 record at Nevada. The Wolf Pack lost to Cal (then ranked #9...now ranked #3) by 14 points. Cal then beat Rutgers (ranked #2 at the time) by the same 14 point difference. Now Nevada is scheduled to possibly play Louisville (another top 10 team) tomorrow, assuming Louisville beats Alabama to advance in the tournament. The fact that the team just finished playing 5 games in 10 days and that they are playing ranked teams this early should help them over the long haul of the season. Tonight's win was a 71-63 win over Northern Iowa.

Thanks for the update, Trufan.

It's good to hear that both are doing well.

Comment

One has no idea how the game will end at this point, but Albright's Nevada team is only down by 3 points at the half while playing 7th ranked Louisville. I will try to remember to get a final score on here, too.

Comment

Trufan,

Please do...I've been trying to search it on the net and can't find any update info. I understand that Coach Albright reached her 400th win last game, but this one would be a really big win, too, if they pull it off.

Thanks!

Comment

This update is specifically for you, trshock....Nevada 52, Louisville 46 with 14 minutes to go in the game. If they COULD pull this off it sure would be a big upset.

Comment

Final score: Nevada 85, #7 Louisville 82.

Comment

Add this to the list of "Things that make absolutely no sense".

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                Add this to the list of "Things that make absolutely no sense".
                Jane left the cabinet bare at WSU and fell into a very full cabinet at Nevada. The previous Coach was not fired, but left coaching for personal reasons. If Jane recruits to Nevada like she did at WSU, the good times will not last. If she recruits to Nevada like her predecessor has she can be successful there.

Comment

I almost always agree with you, 1972. And while I can see why you might say that Albright left the cupboard bare (only 10 players on the roster), I guess i just see it differently. When Coach Adams arrived, she walked into a program with: 1) Jacie Hoyt--Big 12 school signee/transfer 2) Sam Smith--PAC 10 Washington State offered her a scholarship. 3) Val Siemens--was recruited heavily by both K-State and KU, although she ultimately was not offered a scholarship by them...but recruited heavily by TWO Big 12 schools none-the-less. 4) Whitney Rice--runner-up for MVC FOY in 05-06. 5) Kayla Rice--MVP of the Missouri HS All-Star game. 6) Daria Frazier--who has been called by some (was it Jody Adams? I don't remember) one of the most athletic players in the Valley. 7) Marcy Sudbeck--a double-double machine. 8) Jenn DeGarmo--who would have benefitted by another year of strength and conditioning (especially with the new strength coach Jody works with) and who scored 20 in her 1st game with SW OSU. 9) Haleigh Lankster--a GREAT Freshman talent.

I do think that a couple of years for Coach Adams to recruit her own STYLE of players will result in some AWESOME teams. However, I think that to say that Albright left the cupboards bare simply doesn't square with the facts.

Comment

trufan is right. Jane didn't leave the cupboards bare. She just couldn't coach what she had.
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I can see where you might come to that conclusion, but.....
                      How does someone know how to coach what she's got in DeKalb, Illinois and in Madison, Wisconsin (all-time winningest coach at both programs and NINE NCAA appearances)....then FORGET how to coach in Wichita....and then apparently remember again how to coach in Reno, Nevada?

1972Shocker had a fairly mature approach when he suggested that this was just not a good "fit". Good coach/wrong school.

I think it is about time for people to honestly move on and STOP with the
                      Albright bashing. We have one of the top young coaches in the game to support now.

We also have some interesting former coaches...Alaska-Fairbanks and Nevada will be fun to follow as time goes on. I tend to think that both Daryl and Jane will be very successful. Furthermore, I hope we get to see Smith coach at the DI level again.

Comment

Originally posted by trufan
                        I almost always agree with you, 1972. And while I can see why you might say that Albright left the cupboard bare (only 10 players on the roster), I guess i just see it differently. When Coach Adams arrived, she walked into a program with: 1) Jacie Hoyt--Big 12 school signee/transfer 2) Sam Smith--PAC 10 Washington State offered her a scholarship. 3) Val Siemens--was recruited heavily by both K-State and KU, although she ultimately was not offered a scholarship by them...but recruited heavily by TWO Big 12 schools none-the-less. 4) Whitney Rice--runner-up for MVC FOY in 05-06. 5) Kayla Rice--MVP of the Missouri HS All-Star game. 6) Daria Frazier--who has been called by some (was it Jody Adams? I don't remember) one of the most athletic players in the Valley. 7) Marcy Sudbeck--a double-double machine. 8) Jenn DeGarmo--who would have benefitted by another year of strength and conditioning (especially with the new strength coach Jody works with) and who scored 20 in her 1st game with SW OSU. 9) Haleigh Lankster--a GREAT Freshman talent.

I do think that a couple of years for Coach Adams to recruit her own STYLE of players will result in some AWESOME teams. However, I think that to say that Albright left the cupboards bare simply doesn't square with the facts.
                        So what you're really saying is you don't think very much of Jane as a Coach considering the outstanding talent available to her and the results she was able to achieve with that talent. (i.e. 3-15 MVC record last year and losing MVC road games by an average of 25.2 PPG on a Senior/Junior dominated team that graduated 45% of its offensvie production).

OK, I guess I can buy that, although I do expect Jody Adams to upgrade the overall talent level in the program over the next 2-3 years.

Comment

BTW, trufan, Jane herself said the talent she inherited at Nevada was much better than she ever had at WSU.

Comment

I've never been an Albright basher. She simply didn't get anything accomplished here.

If she had the talent here than she failed as a coach. If it has nothing to do with how she coached she failed as a recruiter.

I still like Jane but am glad she's gone
                            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by trufan
                              We have one of the top young coaches in the game to support now.
                              Now that I can agree with.

:goshocks:

BTW, if you want to see the top talent in the women's check out the UConn - OU game on ESPN tonight. Pretty impressive.

One thing I do know is that we are light years away from that level of talent.

Comment

Working...
                              X