WBB - WSU announces three additions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

scholarship limits

Hey, you've got the facts on the limits for women's scholarships. But, do you ever remember Womens' BB at WSU having more than 14 during any one year? I don't. Going to Go Shockers, there were 14 there last year and I never remember that many before in any recent year either. I once questioned this with someone & was told it was 14, but you have the facts on the actual NCAA limits. Well, that means Jody Adams has more places open for next year then. She needs to recruit more size & I'm sure her staff is working diligently on it!

Comment

Re: scholarship limits

Originally posted by xazshox
      Hey, you've got the facts on the limits for women's scholarships. But, do you ever remember Womens' BB at WSU having more than 14 during any one year? I don't. Going to Go Shockers, there were 14 there last year and I never remember that many before in any recent year either. I once questioned this with someone & was told it was 14, but you have the facts on the actual NCAA limits. Well, that means Jody Adams has more places open for next year then. She needs to recruit more size & I'm sure her staff is working diligently on it!
      Your right, I can't remember when we had a roster of 15 players.

It is pretty hard to keep a roster of 15 D-1 quality players happy unless you have established a well accepted red-shirt program.

I'm not sure why the women are allowed 2 more scholarships. Probably has something to do with helping with Title IX compliance. Also, I believe that the women tend to be more susceptible to blowing out knees than men.

Nevertheless, just as with big time football the higher scholarship limits probably help the haves more than the have nots, allowing the Tennessees and UConns to stockpile players. Parity improved in football when they dorpped the limit to 85. I would like to see the women dropped to the same level as the men at 13. Women's basketball could definitely use more parity.

Comment

Parity

That's what I heard, too. Women tend to blow out knees more than men. I used to coach soccer in the Tempe Soccer Club years ago & to get my coaching license, I had to get first aid training. That's where I first learned about the knees bit for women Vs men. I also later heard it during a review somewhere of the differences in scholarship limits in NCAA Div 1 basketball. I agree that more parity is needed in women's basketball. This has been a good discussion!

Comment

Here is an article that discusses the issue of knee injuries for Women vs Men.

Dr. Anthony Luke , Director of UCSF Primary Care Sports Medicine , has been kind enough to share some of his expertise with us. He has agree...

Notice that they reported a 6:1 ratio for knee injuries amomg female basketball players vs male basketball players.

Comment

Working...
          X