Short bench in River City

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short bench in River City

The WSU women's basketball team has now lost another player. Initially, Jennifer DeGarmo quit last spring. Then a transfer from Idaho quit the team this summer, followed by Frannie Vathauer. Now, Kayla Rice, who is the guard/recruit who was the MVP in the Missouri All Star game, has decided to leave after trying the program on for size this summer. Finally, there is some question as to whether Whitney Rice will be able to play again. She has another head injury/concussion. She has had 2 prior concussions during her tenure at WSU, and had a couple of them in high school, as well. I am not sure when the decision will be made about whether Whitney can play.
    On the VERY positive side, the juco transfers are looking great and the remaining players feel that hey have increased strength and stamina going into fall workouts.
    With regard to Kayla Rice, I have not heard whether WSU has decided to release her or not. I hope that a release is offered to her, especially considering that it was published in the Wichita Eagle that Jim Schaus promised her that Jane Albright's job was not in jeopardy and that she definitely would continue to be the coach. I think the NCAA would not look well upon WSU not releasing a kid who specifically asked about it and was given untrue reassurances. At the very least, opposing coaches would be happy to point these facts out to recruits while on the recruiting trail. Most parents would prefer not to have their daughter sign with a program which is known for being a "hard-ass" about allowing releases.

Re: Short bench in River City

Originally posted by trufan
    I hope that a release is offered to her, especially considering that it was published in the Wichita Eagle that Jim Schaus promised her that Jane Albright's job was not in jeopardy and that she definitely would continue to be the coach. I think the NCAA would not look well upon WSU not releasing a kid who specifically asked about it and was given untrue reassurances.

Can you provide a link or published report that publicly states Kayla was promised by Jim Schaus that Jane's job was not in jeopardy? That seems a little odd to me.

Also, you needn't be concerned about her release. If she wants to transfer, she will be allowed. I have no knowledge of the particulars but if she is wanting to stay enrolled on scholarship and not play basketball, I can see a bit of an impass. Also, it's a little late in the game to be changing schools, for both parties.

Comment

Hey, Wu. Unfortunately I don't have an Eagle subscription, so cannot link to the article I am referring to. As I recall, it was either the very end of January or the very begining of February when Lutz and Suellentrop both had articles on the same day about it being time for Jane to go. The reference was in one of those articles....

Comment

Thanks for the update, trufan. I was wondering what was going on behind the scenes as there has been very little news from the women's BB program.

As a casual fan of the WSU women's BB program these past few seasons, I was in hopes the new coach would be able to "perfrom an overnight miracle". Actually I knew it will be a tough job to bring the program back to respectability and the fans will have to be patient, understanding and support the new staff and players even during the inevitable tough times that will come in the 2008-2009 season.

I must have been completely out of the loop as I was unaware of the Jen DeGarmo situation or the Idaho transfer. I was disaapointed but not completely surprised that Franny chose not to continue in the program. The news about Whitney is definately concerning as concussions are nothing to take lightly especially with her history of concussions and other medical issues.

I do not follow girl's high school basketball and had no way to evaluate the potential of Kayla Rice other than what was revealed on this board. Hopefully, the universtiy will do what is in Kayla's best interest. If she is unhappy here, release her, and let her "follow her dream".

Although it is three months away, I anxiously await the upcoming season and plan to support the program to an even greater extent than I have in the past several seasons. I hope many Shockers will do the same and allow Jody and her staff to work some majic with the women's program.

Until the women's season is here let's make the msot of the fall and get out and support the VB program. Can't wait for the first home matches. The wait is killing me!

Comment

Defections are to be expected. From just hearing Jody talk I think it's fairly obvious that some of Jane's recruits weren't going to like it or survive it. In the long run this is probably what's best for WSU basketball.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

When you go to the goshockers.com site there are only eight players on the roster (and that's including Whitney Rice, who I hope is medically OK and will be able to play).

Players have been deleted from the roster, so I know it's being updated, but no new ones have been added. School has started, so where are the names of the juco transfers and/or any other new recruits?

Anyone know anything?

Comment

I agree with SubGod that defections are to be expected. One or two players leaving a program with a new coaching staff is considered fairly routine. With 4 defections, there is often a possibility of emotional abuse or head games going on (i.e. Coach Woolridge at Kansas State). Not saying that that is the case at Wichita State, but just saying that that is often the case elsewhere.

Comment

When you consider how different the two coaches are, one could reasonably expect that the players recruited under Albright would not respond the same to Adams' style.

When Marshall took over we heard about how much more, from a practice and conditioning standpoint, was expected under Marshall. My opinion is that ladies aren't as apt to adjust as the guys.

Comment

Enough already with the talk about why folks might have left. Who, if anybody, has joined the squad????

Comment

Hate to hear that Kayla Rice is leaving. I am sure a release will be forthcoming with perhaps the only stipulation being she does not transfer to another MVC school. Although I never saw Kayla play she sounded like a very good player who could have helped us.

I feel even worse for Whitney. Hopefully, her concussion is a relatvely mild one. Whitney has reeally been snake-bitten injury and health-wise during her career as a Shocker. I was hoping she would enjoy a relatively healthy senior-year.

I too was unaware of a transfer from Idaho. Do you have any info on that player?

Also, waiting on a roster update to see exactly who, if anyone, has been added to the roster.

Despite the energy and toughness of the new coaching staff, this first year will be quite challenging and my excpections for wins are not real high, although I would love to be proven wrong on that score.

I just want to see some evidence that we will bring a higher level of Basketball IQ and competitive toughness to the floor this year and then build from there.

Comment

1972--I can understand how you might be thinking that there may not be a lot of overall wins this year, what with a new system being put into place and all. I also appreciate that you would love to be wrong in that regard! :yes: But i am maybe more optomistic than you are about this season. I think that by the time Valley play rolls around, this team may be ready to surprise some teams. Some of my optomism will be tempered if it is true that Shantel Pointer may be out for all or part of the season with knee surgery. She is one of those incredibly athletic kids who will really fit into the aggressive style of play that Coach Adams indicates she wants to play.
                      I know very little about the Idaho transfer. She enrolled this summer and was working out with the team. She obviously was going to need to sit out this year as a transfer. I do know that she played point guard, but do not know whether it is felt that losing her is a big loss, moderate loss, or minor loss. Also, I do not know why she left Wichita State. If she was FROM the northwest US, it could have been a simple matter of deciding that Wichita was too far from home. I am just not sure.

Comment

Shantel was an interesting player to me in that she looked like she could bring some physicality to the floor that our other guards don't posess.

If it is true that she is out for the year with a knee injury, then that is just going to make things tougher this year depth wise. We really can not afford to absorb much injury-wise this year.

Comment

The current/incoming players are not getting along with the current staff's personality.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker Lady
                            The current/incoming players are not getting along with the current staff's personality.
                            I’m sure it’s difficult to play for a coach who wears a big shiny NC ring.
                            :whistle:
                            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker Lady
                              Although mine is only speculation, this is what I was hinting at in my previous post.

I don't intend this to be sexist, but I think females in general have a more difficult time adjusting to and getting along with different personalities and attitudes. And it just seems like the new staff is quite different than the old staff, in this regard.

It may be 2-3 years before we start seeing dividends, in terms of wins and losses, from the coaching change.

Comment

Working...
                              X