No announcement yet.

2017-18 Shocker Women's Golf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like Taryn and Dorthea are in a playoff.

.Playing the Par 5 18th to start.

Comment

• RoyalShock
      RoyalShock commented
      Editing a comment
      Here we go! C'mon Taryn!

Watch live here: https://www.facebook.com/AmericanCon...6183546799831/

Comment

Taryn about 40 yards short of the green in two. Dorthea had laid up but I think is in good shape.

Wrong Dorthea hit her ball into the water on her 2nd shot had has to take a drop.

Comment

If Dorthea's 2nd shot got wet, I assume that's a penalty stroke?

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
          If Dorthea's 2nd shot got wet, I assume that's a penalty stroke?
          Yep. Both are about 8 to 10 feet from the hole but Dorthea is lying 4 and Taryn is lying 3.

Taryn putting 1st for the win.

Taryn wins it.

Comment

YES!!

Comment

BOOM!
              78-65

Comment

Really nice way to cap of a Shocker Hall of Fame career for Taryn. Not sure whether she will get to play in the NCAA's as an individual but I hope she does.

Comment

GoShockers.com report on Taryn's win and the Shocks finish.

http://goshockers.com/news/2018/4/17...mpionship.aspx

He is the report from the AAC web site:

PALM COAST, FLA. – No. 23 Houston collected its second American Athletic Conference Women’s Golf Championship in three years, firing a blistering 11-under par team round of 277 to capture the team title. Wichita State’s Taryn Torgerson set a conference record with her final round 64, winning the conference individual crown with a birdie on the first playoff hole.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 17, 2018, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Teams and individuals will learn their NCAA Championship destinations on Wednesday, April 25, at 5:30 p.m. ET on Golf Channel. Seventy-two teams and 24 individuals will be chosen for the 2018 NCAA Division I Women’s Golf Championship, which will culminate at Karsten Creek Golf Club in Stillwater, Okla., May 18-23.

There are 28 team auto-bids and 44 team at-large bids with 18 teams in each of 4 regionals. In addition 24 individuals not on those teams with 6 playing at each of the 4 regionals will be selected.

I will be very disappointed if Taryin is not one of those 24 players but we will see.

The four 54-hole regionals this year are in Austin, Texas, Madison, Wisonsin, San Franscisco, California and Tallahassee, Florida and will be held May 7-9. The low six teams and the low three individuals not on those teams in each retional will advance to the finals.

The Championship Finals will be played at Karsten Creek Golf Club in Stillwater, Oklahoma from Friday, May 18 thru Wednesday May 23. All 24 teams and 12 individuals will complete 54 holes of stroke play. Following 54 holes of competition, the top 15 teams along with the top nine individuals not on an advancing team will advance for one additional day of stroke play to determine the top eight teams for match-play competition and the 72-hole stroke-play individual champion.

Comment

Sully reports on Taryn's championship.

http://goshockers.com/news/2018/4/17...-champion.aspx

Sully reporting as if Taryn's college career is over. Maybe he knows something I don't which is very possible but I think Taryn has a shot of being invited to the NCAA as an individual.
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 18, 2018, 09:39 AM.

Comment

We need more info and more work here. I went to the NCAA site to get selection criteria.

Found this

So I went to Golfstat

Couldn't find Taryn anywhere. Just assumed that she wasn't good enough to make the list (or I need to find my glasses). But her average absolutely puts her on that list, and kind of high on it. But then I can't find even 1 American Conference player anywhere on the list. So I don't know at this point.

I dug a little deeper. If I'm reading correctly, individuals must play a minimum of 15 rounds in the spring, 8 of which must be stroke play. I realize dollars are limited, but it's a crime to schedule only 15 rounds (including the AAC) if that is accurate. Taryn WD from 1 tourney, so she only has 12 or 13 rounds and by that criteria, would not be even considered.

In the 4 tourneys she finished, she was 1st, 4th, 7th and 30th and a stroke average just under 74. I have no idea about strength of schedule, but I'm sure it's not top heavy. I'm not saying she's a 1 seed, but those finishes should have her in the discussion, when you eliminate the players that qualify with their teams. 24 young ladies are selected once the teams are done. Hard to believe she wouldn't be considered. But if it's because she missed a single tourney, then shame on us for scheduling that way.

Comment

A quick look around American scheduling......Tulsa scheduled the same as WSU. ECU and Houston both scheduled 7 tourneys. Not all were 3 round tourneys.

Comment

Just talked to Taryn. She basically said the same thing. She is waiting on the stat geeks to analyze all the data. Fingers are crossed.

Comment

• WuDrWu
                              WuDrWu commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Thank you for that update!

Sounds like she will not make it it requries 15 rounds in the Spring uinless they have an injury exception or some kind of waiver polcy.

The Shocks had the same schedule last year 4 spring tournaments plus the MVC Championship Not sure how Taryn's stats last year were but she did play all 15 rounds in thos tournaments but did not make the NCAA field as an individual.

As Doc points out no cushion for weather cancellations, injury or illness. Of course, they maybe haven't had a lot of female golfers where it would create an issue.

Bottom line though is this doesn't sound favorable for Taryn this year. I not that shiny new AAC Individual Champion trophy makes a pretty nice consolation prize. If tha's the case being doused by your teammates after winning a playoff following a record 64 is a heckuva nice final memory of your Shocker career.
                            Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 18, 2018, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X