New women's coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New women's coach

Does anyone know who they have been interviewing for the head coaching job?

I've only heard rumors about interest in visiting with John Ontjes at HCC; his team will be playing next week for a Natty.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
      I've only heard rumors about interest in visiting with John Ontjes at HCC; his team will be playing next week for a Natty.

http://cms.hutchcc.edu/athletics-ftp...JohnOntjes.pdf
      257-26 (.908 winning percentage) in 9 years at Hutch. Not sure how success at the Juco level necessarily translates to D-1 success but that is one helluva record.

If the Shocks can land a gig in the AAC a good, quality hire could come in handy against the top of that league.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        257-26 (.908 winning percentage) in 9 years at Hutch. Not sure how success at the Juco level necessarily translates to D-1 success but that is one helluva record.

If the Shocks can land a gig in the AAC a good, quality hire could come in handy against the top of that league.
        I'm not sure it will make any difference against the TOP of that league (cough *UCONN* cough). :)
        The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Originally posted by tgcshock View Post
          I'm not sure it will make any difference against the TOP of that league (cough *UCONN* cough). :)
          With the right hire we could maybe stay within 30 instead of 60.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            With the right hire we could maybe stay within 30 instead of 60.
            Is that in seconds???

Comment

According to an article in Saturday's Eagle, Lane Lord of Pittsburg State interviewed for the position earlier this week.
              Last edited by flyingMoose; March 18, 2017, 11:22 AM.

Comment

I really hope either Ontjes or Lord get it. Those are my top 2 choices locally right now. Another one I wouldn't mind seeing, although it's kind of off the wall, is Jimmy Dykes, who just resigned at Arkansas recently. Other than that, Toby Wynn from Seward would also be a good choice. As far as other national candidates that might catch my eye, I wouldn't even begin to know where to look, I'm thinking we have at least 3 qualified coaches right here in Kansas that would be more than ok for the position.

Comment

Ontjes still coaching his Hutch team. Hutch plays on Wednesday and are the #4 seed in the NJCAA Tournament.

Pitt State lost to Emporia State in the D-II regionals on March 11th and they are done for the season.

Based on what they were paying Jody Adams-Birch I would think there would be quite a bit of interest in this job. Although I am not sure what the pay structure will be for Jody's replacement. Hopefully, whatever package they put together doesn't repeat the mistakes of the previous AD in being too much in favor of the employee.

Pay a decent, fair base salary. Load the contract with performance incentives and let the Coach EARN their financial rewards based on performance while giving yourself a reasonable way to move on in the future if the performance is not there. Guarantee 3 years if you have to. 4 at the most.

Hire the best person for the job regardless of race or gender. Pedigree is not that important (i.e. see Gregg Marshall).
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 20, 2017, 05:16 PM.

Comment

@PaulS:uellentrop: Two people have have told me to take a look at ESPN's Nell Fortner as a possible Wichita State women's basketball coach.

Holy cow, that would be great. Brings cache from coaching in the WNBA, coached at Auburn and Purdue, and coached the 2000 USA Olympic Gold Medal team.
                    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Nell Fortner

Comment

Maybe it's just me being stubborn with my local choices because I've seen them first hand, but I'd rather have Ontjes or Lord or even Antwain Scales over Nell Fortner. Just my opinion. I know the search committee will be looking at all possible applicants though.

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                          @PaulSuellentrop: Two people have have told me to take a look at ESPN's Nell Fortner as a possible Wichita State women's basketball coach.
                          Interesting with a good pedigree, but she did not light it up at Auburn. Does she have the fire at this stage of her career to take on a project like the Shockers?

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                            Interesting with a good pedigree, but she did not light it up at Auburn. Does she have the fire at this stage of her career to take on a project like the Shockers?
                            And how big of a challenge is coaching the U.S. National team. Wichita State typically is quite attracting the level of player.

To me the blue print might be 3G. Find someone who came up the hard way through grit and determination who doesn't have the blue blood pedigree. A successful grinder who has earned everything he has the hard way.

Of course, actually finding that may be much more difficult than just saying that.

Comment

UTEP's Keitha Adams interviews for the Shocker Women's head coaching position according to Paul Suellentrop.

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article140991893.html

Keitha Adams UTEP bio.

A 2nd consecutive Coach Adams perhaps.

Comment

Working...
                              X