Coaching staff announced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coaching staff announced

WICHITA ? First-year Wichita State women's basketball head coach Jody Adams completed her coaching staff after announcing the addition of Kristy Guffey, Kerensa Barr and Carlai Moore as assistant coaches Monday afternoon.

Kristey Guffey is the 3rd coach (and head of recruiting) who comes to us after occupying that spot at Missouri State.
    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Jody seems to be a little like HGM in that there is emphasis put on the guard positions.

I would be willing to bet Kristy is on the road recruiting right now. She will like Wichita lots better than Springfield.

Comment

Good Midwest contacts. Sounds like the staff has strong networks in the KC area and perhaps even in St. Louis.

No doubt about it though, we definitely have a youthful coaching staff, not that there is anything wrong with that.

It will be interesting to see the energy level they are able to bring to the program.

:posterwu: :goshocks: :posterwsu:

Comment

If there is anything better than getting a good recruiter, it is simultaneously taking one away from someone in your own conference. Looks like a good hire.
        The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Anymore info about the coaching staff, and/or recruiting? I know they have to clear up things and move, just wondering if there are any prospects they are looking at yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9
            Anymore info about the coaching staff, and/or recruiting? I know they have to clear up things and move, just wondering if there are any prospects they are looking at yet?
            As I mentioned on another thread, I believe that there is very good reason to believe that we are recruiting (and will likely sign) Dana Olsen, who spent last year in JUCO, after being all freshman team in the Valley at SIU under Jody.

We were recruiting her under Jane as well, and apparently had a good shot at her even then. Dana left because, like many SIU players, she couldn't stand the SIU head coach, especially with Jody leaving. Jody has already mentioned the possibility of signing a JUCO post.

Since she is from the area and wants to be near home, already liked WSU, and now can come back to play for the coach she liked at SIU, I would say our odds are good at signing her.
            "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Dana Olsen at 6'1" and reportedly with good ball handling skills would be a good sign and would fill the need for some help on the frontline.

No word yet one way or the other on out two early signers Haleigh Lankster and Kayla Rice.

The longer we go without hearing anything is probably a positive sign that they will stay with their previous commitments.

Comment

Dana had a terrific year this past year in leading Labetter County to a
                25-7 record.

She averaged 24.3 PPG while shooting 59.5% from the field and she made 204 of 244 free throws for a more than solid 83.6% clip.

She also lead Labette County in rebounding at 7.1 RPG.

Comment

1972--
                  From watching Dana play in just 4 games, it appears to me that the statistics, while great, don't even tell the whole story...her intangibles/competitive nature, etc. added to her ppg and rpg, etc...she would be a GREAT addition.
                  It has been mentioned on Salukitalk that she was denied a release when she left SIU. If true, that could mean that she may be required to sit out a year before she could join us. I am just not sure how that works.

Comment

Since she went to another level it shouldn't be an issue.
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I think Sub is right. When a D1 school doesn't give a release, I think it just means the player cannot play the following year at another D1 school.

Comment

That player, had she transferred to a D1 school would sit out a year AND lose a year of elegibility. Going to a lower level and then on to D1 she should be able to play right away and not lose anything.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                          That player, had she transferred to a D1 school would sit out a year AND lose a year of elegibility. Going to a lower level and then on to D1 she should be able to play right away and not lose anything.
                          Doesn't she lose the year she played at the lower level. In Dana's case, she would have 1 year at SIU and 1 year at Labette leaving her with two year's of eligibility.

Is that a correct understanding?

Comment

Originally posted by trufan
                            1972--
                            From watching Dana play in just 4 games, it appears to me that the statistics, while great, don't even tell the whole story...her intangibles/competitive nature, etc. added to her ppg and rpg, etc...she would be a GREAT addition.
                            It has been mentioned on Salukitalk that she was denied a release when she left SIU. If true, that could mean that she may be required to sit out a year before she could join us. I am just not sure how that works.
                            :good:

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
                              Originally posted by SubGod22
                              Doesn't she lose the year she played at the lower level. In Dana's case, she would have 1 year at SIU and 1 year at Labette leaving her with two year's of eligibility.

Is that a correct understanding?
                              Yes.

Had she went straight to a D1 school this season she would have to sit out because she was a transfer and would still have lost that year making her a JR for the coming season.
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                              X