No announcement yet.

Shocker Women's Basektball 2016-17 Nonconference Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So why don't the winners play the winners and the losers play the losers?
    Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
      So why don't the winners play the winners and the losers play the losers?
      This is the 4th year of the Shocker Winter "Classic". The Shocks are now 7-0. Apparently, Jody wants to make sure they stay undefeated.

I really don't know why the do it this way.

Comment

After the big early start, the Shockers played a lot of combinations. Some of them combined better than others. After scoring 30 in the first quarter, the Shocks only scored 32 in the entire second half.

Several of the first quarter buckets were layups created by the defense.

Jelilah scored thirteen points of her points in a two-minute stretch of the third quarter.

Brittany only played one minute and appeared to be favoring a leg as she came off the court when subbed out.

The lead official for this game has officiated at the Final Four.

Comment

Shockers 73-63 Incarnate Word

The Shocks let the Cardinals make the score look respectable with some less than stellar play in the fourth quarter, but had this game under control from very early on.

In the fourth quarter, the Shocks twice let UIW have four consecutive offensive rebounds. Jeliah was assessed a technical foul for calling a timeout the Shockers did not have, this after Coach Gordon (you can hear her all over the arena) had reminded them they were out of timeouts. I'm sure "attention to detail" will be uttered a few times in the Coach's Show on Monday.

As was the case last night, the ladies went through stretches of not being to find the three-point shooter with the hot hand.

Rangie led the scoring with 19 points in only 16 minutes. Angiee had 16 points in 21 minutes. TaQuandrea had 12 and Jeliah had 11.

Comment

The Lady Shocks certainly showed some good things this weekend both offensivey and defensively, however, the level of competition still leaves some question marks on how they might do against stronger competition. There is some talent and depth on this Shocker team. Still seem to need work on buidlng consistency but I think they are moving in the right direction. No reason they should not be able to stay with everyone in the Valley with the possible exception of Drake although the Shocks have the athletes and play a style that could give Drake some challengess as well.

We should learn more when the Shocks host South Dakota State on Wednesday in their final non-conference game of the season. SDS should be a tougher challenge then either Abilene Christian or Incarnte Wood provided.

A win is a win but I was a litte bit disappointed to see Incarnate Word close the gap to 8 pointy with 0:23 left in the game. While the game was never really in doubt Incarnate Word is a D-II school in the process of transitioning to D-I. They are 0-9 against a SOS ranked 313. The have an RPI of 347 out of 349 D-I programs and a Nolan Power Index ranking of 348.

That said this Lady Shocker team seems like they are improving and moving in the right direction. South Dakota State is a good final non-conference test before opening Valley play at home against Valley favorite Drake on December 30th.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 20, 2016, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Shocks host South Dakota State at 7:00 pm in their final non-conference game of the season.

goShockers.com Game Notes

Wichita Eagle Pre-Game Article

Comment

South Dakota State 78 - Wichita State 58

SDS was up 37-32 at the half and then outscored the Shocks 41-26 in the 2nd half. SDS shot the ball well including 9-20 on 3 pointers. SDS, while not particularly athletically blessed out-rebounded the Shocks 35-17 incuding 14-5 on the offensive glass. That will definitely need to be addressed.

Thought the Shocks might be competitive in this game especially since SDS was without their leading scoring who is out for the season with a knee injury. To top it off SDS lost their 2nd leading scorer to a knee injury in the 1st half. The Shocks simply weren't up to the task of taking on a pretty fundamentally sound and well-coached Jackrabbit team tonight.

The Shocks did finish the non-conference right about where I expected they would at 5-6 but I was hoping that they would show a bit more tonight. Rangie Bessard is certainly capable of big things for the Shockers. Still kind of difficult to get a good read on this team. They seem to have some good pieces but the whole often seems to be less than the sum of the parts.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  South Dakota State 78 - Wichita State 58

SDS was up 37-32 at the half and then outscored the Shocks 41-26 in the 2nd half. SDS shot the ball well including 9-20 on 3 pointers. SDS, while not particularly athletically blessed out-rebounded the Shocks 35-17 incuding 14-5 on the offensive glass. That will definitely need to be addressed.
                  Yes, the three recent bugaboos again in this game: 1) getting outscored in the second half, 2) cannot find the opp's three-pointer shooter (#11 tonight), and 3) giving up too many offensive rebounds.

The Jackrabbits played a 3-2 zone in the first quarter and a 2-3 zone the rest of the way. Only Rangie's hot hand kept us in the game through the first quarter.

Comment

Working...
                  X