Shocker Women's Basektball 2016-17 Nonconference Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shox21 View Post
    Shocker win? 1 point lead at half. Some work still to do here.
    Really tough to get a read on this Shocker team. TaQuandra Mike who was expected to be one of the team leaders has not been playing well. However, in the win over Northeastern she contriubted 17 points and 7 rebounds. Today she has 13 points on 6-8 shooting in the 1st half.

OTOH, Jeliah Preston had a couple of good games in Cancun including tying Mike for game high honors with 17 points that included 5-7 from 3-point range. Doesn't appear she has played today. Injury, Illness, or the Wrath of Jody? Who knows. Tamara Lee however is stepping up today.

The Shocks have 18 turnoves 3 minutes into the 2nd half. That is helping ASU to stay in the game I think. Otherwise, the Shocks are dominating the stats.

Comment

Final: Wichita State 69 - 51 Arkansas State

Shocks shot the ball well from the field hitting 28-54 (51.9%) including 7-17 (41.1%) of their 3 point shots. Tamara Lee hit 5-10 of her 3 point attempts. Shocks only hit 60% of their FT's but only got to the line 10 times. 24 turnovers by the Shocks is too many and will hurt them against better competition. Need to clean that up a bit.

I predicted the Shocks would go 5-6 in the preaseason if they beat ASU. That pretty much looks like where they are heading although Abilene Christian may be a little better than I was anticipating. For now I will stick with a 5-6 non-conference prediction.

Up next for the Shocks is a game at Missouri on next Friday. Lots of time for the Shocks to work on things an perhaps get Rangie healthy although I have no idea what the nature of her injury is and perhaps Jeliah as well whose depending on who her issues are.

Missouri has a game tonight against Missouri State, a game Sunday @ IUPUI and a game Wendesday with SIU-Edwardsville. So they wont't be spending a lot of time preparing for the Shocks.

Missouri is 5-2 right now but I am not sure quite what to make of that. I don't really seen anything I would consider an imprssive win. Mizzou did blow out Indiana State 77-48 but from the little bit I have seen of Indiana State not sure that means much.

If the Shocks can get Rangie back I think they can hang with MIssouri. Not counting on a road win at Missouri but not totally out of the realm of possibility either.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 2, 2016, 02:35 PM.

Comment

The Valley continues to lose 2 games for every 1 game they win as they are now 20-40 in D-1 games. The Shocks got the win today while Missouri State lost to Missouri 76-49 and Bradley lost to Northern Illinois 81-51.

Comment

Originally posted by seskridge
          Heard a woman's player is leaving at semester. Makes me wonder if the treatment of the players got better or not.
          I doubt that is the issue.

Jyar Francis is the player leaving.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            Final: Wichita State 69 - 51 Arkansas State

Shocks shot the ball well from the field hitting 28-54 (51.9%) including 7-17 (41.1%) of their 3 point shots. Tamara Lee hit 5-10 of her 3 point attempts. Shocks only hit 60% of their FT's but only got to the line 10 times. 24 turnovers by the Shocks is too many and will hurt them against better competition. Need to clean that up a bit.

I predicted the Shocks would go 5-6 in the preaseason if they beat ASU. That pretty much looks like where they are heading although Abilene Christian may be a little better than I was anticipating. For now I will stick with a 5-6 non-conference prediction.

Up next for the Shocks is a game at Missouri on next Friday. Lots of time for the Shocks to work on things an perhaps get Rangie healthy although I have no idea what the nature of her injury is and perhaps Jeliah as well whose depending on who her issues are.

Missouri has a game tonight against Missouri State, a game Sunday @ IUPUI and a game Wendesday with SIU-Edwardsville. So they wont't be spending a lot of time preparing for the Shocks.

Missouri is 5-2 right now but I am not sure quite what to make of that. I don't really seen anything I would consider an imprssive win. Mizzou did blow out Indiana State 77-48 but from the little bit I have seen of Indiana State not sure that means much.

If the Shocks can get Rangie back I think they can hang with MIssouri. Not counting on a road win at Missouri but not totally out of the realm of possibility either.
            I will be at the women's game in Columbia tonight. Going with my boss. Mizzou handled Missouri State pretty easily a week ago (I was at that one too) but then lost by like 30 points on the road to IUPUI. They might only have 7 available players tonight actually. They have no walk ons, so 7 players period. Their stud sophomore Sophie Cunningham, who does everything for them, tweaked her back and missed their last game. They don't know if she will be back for tonight.

This is a winnable game for Wichita State if they don't have S. Cunningham. Heck her sister got hurt last game too and they don't know if she will be back. They will barely be able to field a team tonight. Their coach is Robin Pingeton from ISUred and she was stumping for possible walk ons to join the team in the postgame interviews on Wednesday night.

Comment

I believe on her Monday radio show Jody said that she thought Rangie would be available to the Shocks. If she is, and is able to function effectively, and if Mizzou is as beat up and short-handed as LfG indicates than perhaps we should expect the Shockers to win this game tonight although Missouri is 6-0 vs the Lady Shocks all-time winning 5 of those by 20 or more points.

Missouri has a 29 home non-conference game winning streak that the Shockers wouldn't mind putting an end to.

Shocker Game Notes

Missouri Game Notes

Columbia Daily Tribue Game Preview
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 9, 2016, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Shocks off to a good start leading at Mizzou 17-10 at the end of the 1st quarter.

Rangie did not start but played 6 minutes and had 7 points on 3-3 shooting.

Halftime Update: Shocks lead 21-20.

The Shocks scored the only 2 points of the first 5:18 of the 2nd quarter to lead 19-10. Mizzou finished off the quarter on a 10-2 run with 8 of those points in the last 3 minutes of the half.

Rangie had all 4 2nd quarter points for the Shocks in what is best described as an ugly game.

Rangie has 11 points on 5-6 shooting but the rest of the Shocks are 4-20 (20%). Mizzou is only shooting 26.8% and has turned it over 10 times. Shocks have played 10 players while Mizzou has only played 7. Perhaps the Shocks will be able to wear down the Tigers and take over the game in the 4th quarter.

3rd Quarter Update: Mizzou opened the quarter on an 11-0 run to take a 31-21 lead. The Shocks pulled to within 5 at 42-37 but MU scored the last 2 baskets of the quarter and lead 46-37 at the end of the 3rd quarter. MU still has played only 7 players and 1 of those has only played 8 minutes. So I still think the Shocks have a shot at a comeback in the 4th quarter if Mizzou becomes fatigued.

4th Quarter Update: Shocks open the 4th quarter on an 8-1 run to pull within 2 at 47-45 with 7:08 remaining.

Tied at 50-all with 5 minutes to go. Rangie carrying the Shocks. I like the Shocks chances to pull this out late.

Didn't happen. MSU opened up a 57-50 lead and the Shocks had to start fouling. MSU made enough to put the game away winning 64-57. MSU outscored the Shocks by 7 at the FT line. Perhaps the difference in the game.

Rangie was very good on her return to the lineup scoring 19 points on 8-12 shooting including 3-6 on 3 point shots. However, she did not get to the line as the Shocks were 4-7 from the line as a team.

Wasn't counting on this as a win going into the season but thought the Shocks might have a chance with Rangie back and with Mizzou being short-handed. Close but no cigar.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 9, 2016, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Loyola (0-8) actually has good shot at a win today as they host Chicago State (0-8). One of these teams will get a "D-1" win today (at least in name).

The Valley women continue to lose 2 games to every 1 they win in the non-con as they are now 25-50 on the year in D-1 games. Despite a 0.333 winning percentage they are still ranked 15th out of 32 conferences in RPI. I guess that says something about the state of women's college basketball, although that something is certainy not particularly good.

Austin Peay is at Evansville and Creighton is at UNI so just maybe the Valley women can break the win 1, lose 2 trend today.

Update: Valley gets it done today winning all 3 games. Hasn't happened often this season.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 10, 2016, 08:21 PM.

Comment

The Shocks get to come home for a 5-game homestand sandwiched around the Christmas Holiday. On Dec 16th and 17th the host Abilene Christian and Incarnate Word as part of the Shocker Winter Classic. Not sure that playing Abilene Christian and Incarnate Word exactly constitue a Classic but in any case I thing the Shocks should win both of those games.

On Wednesday, Dec 21st the Shocks host what looks to be a pretty solid 8-2 South Dakota State team. That one should be a bit tougher and a good test to finish off the non-conference season.

After Christmas we will found out fairly quickly if the Shocks can be a force in the Valley race this season. The open with preseason favorite Drake on Dec 30th followed by UNI, the team picked to finishe 2nd behind Drake to finish off the 5-game home string.

The Shocks then head to Missouri State to face the team picked to finish 3rd. MSU has had its struggles this year but they picked up a 64-62 home win over Arkansas today giving the Razorbacks their first loss of the season. That game is followed a week later by a visit to Carbondale to take on the Salukis who were picked to finish 4th.

So the Shocks will open the Valley season playing the 4 teams picked to finish ahead of them in this year's Valley race.
                    Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 11, 2016, 07:29 PM.

Comment

There are rumors that someone is leaving the team??? Haven't heard any names, but curious to who it could possibly be

Comment

Originally posted by mumdaddy316 View Post
                        There are rumors that someone is leaving the team??? Haven't heard any names, but curious to who it could possibly be
                        You mean this?

Comment

Hate to see her go, but I know she loves her family and probably wants to be close to them

Comment

Shocker Winter Classic

With 2-5 Abilene Christian (Friday at 7:00) and 0-7 Incarnate Word (Saturday at 2:00) the term Classic may be overstating the case just a bit. Stated records are D-1 games only.

I have a few predictions:
                            1. Shockers will win both games, although Abilene Christian MIGHT be a competitive game. AC did play Missouri a competitve game on the road.
                            2. With these opponents, with both games on ESPN3, with the weather conditions and with the Shocker men playing at IBA on Saturday attendance will be sparse.
                            3. There will be no box office records set for the postgame Movie and Popcorn event following the Incarnate Word game on Saturday.

Hopefully, the Shocks will play well and get some good work in preparation for Valley play which is just around the corner with only a home game vs South Dakota State remaining on the non-con schedule after this weekend.

Comment

Well I was totally wrong about Abilene Christian possibly being competitive. They are horrible Not sure how they gave Missouri a competitive game.

Shocks all over them leading 30-6 at the end of the 1st quarter.

The single game scoring record is 107 points against Ft. Hays State in 1980. That might be in jeapardy tonight.
                              Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 16, 2016, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Shocks were unable to sustain their blistering start but they cruised to an easy 81-62 win over Abilene Christian. Jeliah Preston put on quite a 3-point and mid-range shooting clinic, especially in the 3rd quarter, and led the Shocks with 21 points. Rangie also had a very good game just missing a double-double with 18 points and 9 rebounds.

Abilene Christian did regain their composure after the disastrous 1st quarter and they actually won the final 3 quarters 56-51 but it was far too little as the damage had been done.

Tomorrow's opponent Incarnate Word lost to Murray State in the earlier game today 68-72 to remain winless on the season.

Shocks at times showed that they can be very good and at other times not so good. They need to continue to work on their consistency but they should be very competitive in this year's Valley.

Comment

Working...
                                X