Shocker Women's Basektball 2016-17 Nonconference Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stanford 87-39 Shockers

No Shocker in double figures. All eleven Stanford players had at least thirteen minutes of playing time. Rangie is the starter who spent most of her time on the bench, logging seven minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
      Stanford 87-39 Shockers

No Shocker in double figures. All eleven Stanford players had at least thirteen minutes of playing time. Rangie is the starter who spent most of her time on the bench, logging seven minutes.
      Saw that Rangie didn't play much. Not sure what to make of that but in the last 3 games Jody seems to have pick out a player to mostly sit and watch for whatever reason. Not sure the thinking on Rangie. Assuming it was not an injury issue perhaps Jody knew this game was a lost cause and wanted to save Rangie's legs for the more winnable Norheastern game tomorrow, although that would be highly unusual. You could play Rangie for say only 20 minutes if you wanted to save her legs. Total unsure of what is going on with this team.

Good thing the Shocks had that 9-0 run early in the 4th quarter I guess.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 25, 2016, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Purdue 79-54 Northeastern

Using score comparisons, the chances for a victory tomorrow are not looking that great.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          Saw that Rangie didn't play much. Not sure what to make of that but in the last 3 games Jody seems to have pick out a player for to mostly sit ad watch for whatever reason. Not sure the thinking on Rangie. Assuming it was not an injury issue perhaps Jody knew this game was a lost cause and wanted to save Rangie's legs for the more winnable Norheastern game tomorrow, although that would be highly unusual. You could play Rangie for say only 20 minutes if you wanted to save her legs. Total unsure of what is going on with this team.

Good thing the Shocks had that 9-0 run early in the 4th quarter I guess.
          If it's not injury related, I'll be the smartass and say "She's coaching like she's untouchable. Doesn't matter if they win or lose, play close or lose badly, play with all hands on deck to learn to play better as a team or sit a key player every game to make a point, WSU's still gotta pay her." Yes, I'm never going to be a fan of her's. That's just the way it is. It's one thing when you have a young team with a lot of freshmen/sophomores and you need to get their attention, and you're building for the future. It's something else if you're top heavy with juniors and seniors. Sexton was an idiot giving her the contract he did with what he knew. Sorry about bringing up old wounds, but I'm just hoping she doesn't drive this program back into the Dark Ages that will take years to recover, if it recovers.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
            If it's not injury related, I'll be the smartass and say "She's coaching like she's untouchable. Doesn't matter if they win or lose, play close or lose badly, play with all hands on deck to learn to play better as a team
            or sit a key player every game to make a point, WSU's still gotta pay her." Yes, I'm never going to be a fan of her's. That's just the way it is. It's one thing when you have a young team with a lot of freshmen/sophomores and you need to get their attention, and you're building for the future. It's something else if you're top heavy with juniors and seniors. Sexton was an idiot giving her the contract he did with what he knew. Sorry about bringing up old wounds, but I'm just hoping she doesn't drive this program back into the Dark Ages that will take years to recover, if it recovers.
            I thought I heard the radio announcer say Rangie went down in pain and the trainer helped her to the bench where they were working on her. Big blow if they play without their best player.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtimewomen's hoopcoach View Post
              I thought I heard the radio announcer say Rangie went down in pain and the trainer helped her to the bench where they were working on her. Big blow if they play without their best player.
              Must be an injury because Rangie has not played so far in today's game vs Northeastern. Somewhat surprisingly, however, the Shocks are up 40-22 miday through the 2nd quarter.

Comment

Wichita State 87 - 73 Northeastern

Quite an offensive eruption for this Shocker team especially considering they were without their leading scorer, Rangie Bessard. Perhaps the other Shocks were leaning on and deferring to Rangie too much. Who knows.

Taquandra Mike and Jeliah Preston lead the Shocks with 17 each. Jeliah was 5-7 from the 3-point line. Tamara Lee also chipped in double figures with 13 points. A total of 10 Shockers dented the scoreboard. Shocks also forced Northeastern into 25 turnovers although they had 18 of their own.

No word on the extent of Rangie's injury.

Comment

Good to see the other ladies step up and have some good production with their leading lady sitting out. Should be a good showing this Friday

Comment

Originally posted by mumdaddy316 View Post
                    Good to see the other ladies step up and have some good production with their leading lady sitting out. Should be a good showing this Friday
                    Yep. A home game against a rebuilding 0-5 Arkansas State team is a game the Shocks should win with or without Rangie. It is possible Rangie's injury may have a silver lining in that the rest of the team may discover they don't have to rely on Rangie to carry them.

Comment

100% agree 1972, confidence down the stretch will be a huge factor for this team. Not to mention Preston an Lee had a little coming out party in Cancun, would like more production from those two.

Comment

The Valley is now 16-34 in Non-conference D-1 games. WarrenNolan.com has the conference 16th in RPI and 24th in his proprietary power index (NPI) out of 32 conferences.

UNI at 3-2 is the only team with a winning records vs D-1 competition. Indiana State (3-3) and Drake (2-2) are at 0.500. All other Valley teams below 0.500 with Loyola and Evansville a combined 0-10.

Interesting match-up tonight between Valley favorite Drake and Northern Illinois (Jane Albright's old stomping grounds). Drake typically tries to outsocre its opponents and seems less interested in defending them. However, Northern Illinois may be calling Drake's approach and rasing them a couple of notches.

Drake (2-2) has average 76.5 PPG this year while giving up 74 PPG. Northern Illinois (4-1) is averaging 97 PPG and allowing 81.6 PPG. May be some points scored in this one.
                        Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 30, 2016, 04:03 PM.

Comment

IUPUI at Indiana State apparently won't be a scorefest but it may prove to be a snorefest. IUPUI leads 17-16 at the half. Ooey-Pooey indeed.

Final: IUPUI 45 - 35 Indiana State
                          Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 30, 2016, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Halftime: Drake 50 - Northern Illinois 43

No shot clock needed.

Drake is clearly the class of the Valley women this year.

Final: Drake 95 - Northern Illinois 86

These teams actaully play pretty entertaining game of basketball. Drake really runs some nice offense and Lizzy Wendell will win another Valley POY if she stays healthy.
                            Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 30, 2016, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Shocks host Arkansas State today in the annual Schoolhouse Screamfest game. Arkansas State had a pretty good team least year but graduated all of their starting lineup and most of their fire power.

According to the Wichita Egale article Rangie Bessard will not play today. However, with Arkansas State, who is 0-5, and pretty much rebuilding from scratch I expect a Shocker win today.

Shocker Game Notes

Comment

Shocker win? 1 point lead at half. Some work still to do here.

Comment

Working...
                                X