Shocker Women's Basektball 2016-17 Nonconference Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    A 3rd player did take 9 shots for UMKC hitting 5 of them plus a free throw for 11 points. So 3 UMKC players had 47 of their 56 points on 18-28 (64.3%) with the rest of the team shooitng 3-17 (17.6%) OTOH, Rangie, Kayla and Aundra scored 45 of the Shocks 54 points on 17-32 (56.3%) with the rest of the team hitting 3-21 (14.3%). So the Roos were just enough more efficient with their trio to oveercome the Shocks trio and the Shocks 34-28 rebound advantage.

Personally, I think the Shocker's rest of the team is better than UMKC's rest of the team but they weren't last night and I suppose that is the rest of the story.
    Yes. Against Creighton, Angiee and Keke looked like real juco finds and last night they looked like the typical juco kids who take awhile to make the transition. I tend towards the former - they just had a bad night last night.

Comment

Originally posted by xazshox View Post
      It sounds like the Shox need to learn how to play Vs a 2-3 Zone, eh!
      I'm thinking they may see a bit of zone until the Shocks show they can handle it better.

Comment

Originally posted by mumdaddy316 View Post
        Looking forward to running umkc out of the gym, should be a fun game.
        Unfortunately, I had more fun at my last root canal.
        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Expect the ladies to come out ready to play next game, Really like what I saw from Kayla Williams

Comment

UTA 74 - 70 WSU.

UTA not a bad team. Solid showing from the Shocks to put up 70 points on the road.

Angiee Tompkins only payed 2 minutes. Not sure if she was injured or what the story on that was about.

Fr. Ericka Mattingly from Wichita South, who originally commited verbally to WSU, played 16 minutes for UTA scoring 8 points and passing out 2 assists.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 21, 2016, 06:25 PM.

Comment

The Lady Shocks head to the Cancun Challenge for games with Purdue (Thu, Nov 24, 12:30 pm) Stanford (Fri, Nov 25, 10:00 am) and Northeastern (Sat, Nov 26, 10:00 am).

The Thursday and Friday games are on KNSS 1330 AM/98.7 FM. Saturday's game is internet audio stream only. Not sure if Live Stats will be available or not. There doesn't appear to be any links for that at this point.

It would not suprise me to see the Shocks go 2-1 in this tournament.

Purdue at 1-3 does not appear to be very good. Purdue's Losses are to Maine (44-67), Villanova (44-58) and SIU (61-64) none of which are powerhosues. Purdue's only win was 71-41 over South Carolina Upstate. Purdue does have some good size on their roster but their guards lead the way in scoring. They have a 6-6 sophomore who plays 9.0 MPG otherwise their 3 primary frontcourt players are 6-2, 6-2 and 6-1. So I think the Shocks can match up pretty well size wise. Purdue appears to be on the young side with 3 Freshman and 3 Sophomores among what appears to be a 9-player rotation. A win over Purdue is eminently doable. Perhaps one the Shocks should win.

Stanford is 3-1 and #11 in the AP poll. The Cardinal will no doubt will be the toughest opponent for the Shocks in this tournament. Stanford isn't huge but they will play with a couple of 6-3 Forwards most of the time but they won't have a big size advantage. Stanford is averaging 76 PPG and holding their opponents to 59 PPG.

Northeastern is 2-2 with wins over Boston (78-59) and Canisius (83-59) and losses to St. Mary's of the West Coast Conference (53-77) and to Quinnipiac (59-76). I think Northeastern may prove to be tougher than Purdue and I would project this as a pretty evenly matched game. But that's just guessing. The Shocks match up well size wise and may have and advantage athletically. Northeastern has 3 double digit scorers that account for 62% of their scoring. 5-5 So. G Jess Genco (16.3 PPG), 6-2 Franscesca Sally (15.0 PPG and 8.8 RPG) and 6-0 So. F Gabby Giacone (11.3 PPG). Sally appears to be very similar in stature to the Shocker's Rangie Bessard and those two might possibly cancel each other out. Giacone looks like just a little shorter version of Sally. Genco is by far Northeastern's best 3-point shooter. Northeastern is hitting 74% as a team from the line so probably don't want to foul them. If the Shocks can shut down just one of the 3 leading scorers I think they have a great shot at winning this one and again I think that is eminently doable.

The Shocks played pretty well in their loss to UTA as they shot 48% from the field including 7-16 (44%) on 3-pointers. They also shot a very good 19-24 (79.2%) from the line. That will keep you in a lot of games.

Not sure if Jyar Francis will be available and even if she is she is probably pretty rusty and perhaps not in good game shape. One player I am curious about is 6-2 Jr. post Angiee Tompkins who only played 2 minutes against UTA. This was after starting and playing 45 minutes in the Shockers 1st 2 games. Not sure if she was injured or if she has found her way into Jody's doghouse. Either way I think Angiee's availability would be very helpful in these games. It would also be helpful if Taquandra Mike could get going. She is only averaging 3.0 PPG in 27 MPG and while she leads the team in steals with 8 she also is tied for the team lead in turnovers with 9. Last year Taquandra averaged 13.9 PPG while averaging 32.5 MPG in the final 27 games of the season in which she started. Rangie has played very well for the Shockers averaging 17.7 PPG but I think she can improve on her 40.5% FG shooting. However, her 14-17 (82.4%) from the line is stellar.

If the Shocks can come home with wins over Purdue and Northeastern and a reasonably competitive game vs Stanford (let's say a 15 point loss or less) then I think this tournament will have been a success for them.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 21, 2016, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Looks like you can get live stats and a live video stream for the Cancun Challenge games here.

Comment

Purdue 86-49 Shockers

Southern Illinois beat Purdue 64-61 last Sunday in West Lafayette.

Comment

Ouch.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                      Purdue 86-49 Shockers

Southern Illinois beat Purdue 64-61 last Sunday in West Lafayette.
                      I really thought the Shocks might have a good shot at winning this game. While I am not that surprised the Shocks lost this game I am very surprised by the score. Purdue scored 44 and 47 points in losses to Maine (2-4) and Villanova (1-3) in addition to the loss to SIU with their only win against South Carolina Upstate.

Not really sure what to think of this result.

Comment

I really thought the Shocks might have a good shot at winning this game. While I am not that surprised the Shocks lost this game I am very surprised by the score. Purdue scored 44 and 47 points in losses to Maine (2-4) and Villanova (1-3) in addition to the loss to SIU with their only win against South Carolina Upstate.

Me either. A relatively inexperienced team against a "name" school from a "name" conference? Keke started and played four minutes. In the previous game, Angiee only played two minutes. Are we having some "not doing what the coach wants" issues?

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                          Me either. A relatively inexperienced team against a "name" school from a "name" conference? Keke started and played four minutes. In the previous game, Angiee only played two minutes. Are we having some "not doing what the coach wants" issues?
                          Also Tamara Lee played 22 minutes of a close game with UTA but only saw 3 minutes in a blowout loss to Purdue. I suppose injury or illness is always a possibility also.

Comment

Shox are a slow team, not equipped to run the dribble drive offense and play small. Our most successful teams were not very big, but played big, defended and rebounded well. This team does not. I still believe this year's team can be good and have a nice season.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtimewomen's hoopcoach View Post
                              Shox are a slow team, not equipped to run the dribble drive offense and play small. Our most successful teams were not very big, but played big, defended and rebounded well. This team does not. I still believe this year's team can be good and have a nice season.
                              Not sure I am buying that. The Shockers will be more athletic than most of there opponents. If the dribble drive offense is the issue it may be a problem because of this team's lack of experience with it or because it is new to Jody and she simply doesn't quite understand it well enough yet to teach it and implement it well.

Coming into this game the Shocks were averaging 62 PPG. 10 more than the average last year. They scored 36 points in the 2nd and 3rd quarters against Purdue but only 9 points in 1st quarter and only 4 in the 4th. Not really unusual to get off to a slow start. Not sure what happened in the 4th quarter. Did the Shocks give up? Or is this team just inconsistent. Inconsistency within games was a problem last year as well. A lot of games with one good half of ball and one bad half of ball.

Purdue game into this game averaging 56 points a game against 4 teams including SIU with a combined record of 3-10 against other teams. Purdue did shoot the ball extremely well against the Shocks. Whether this was simply an aberration or an indication that maybe the Shocks hearts just weren't in the game I really can't say. I can say I was very surprised when I saw Purdue had put of 86 points in the game.

Yes, the Shocks can still win some games. For no other reason than the Valley is not very good. At this point the Valley is 11-27 in D-1 games against an average SOS of 172. Throw out the records and SOS for SIU (2), UNI (25) and LOY (24) and the Valley is 8-19 against an average SOS of 239.

Despite this record the WarrenNolan.com had the Valley ranked 12th in RPI (although he seems to be missing a couple of recent games) out of 32 conferences which is quite a bit better than where the conference has ranked the past couple of years (around 20th). Not exactly sure what this implies about the state of women's college basketball but it doesn't seem good to me.

In any case, I hope the Shocks will play better against Stanford today but that's a tough opponent to rebound from a bad game with. Perhaps tomorrow against Northeastern will allow them to salvage some pride and rebuild a bit of confidence coming out of this tournament.
                              Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 30, 2016, 05:40 PM.

Comment

As I said. Stanford is not a good opponent to have when trying to rebound from a bad game.

Stanford leads at the 46-15 at the half after closing out the half on a 33 - 4 run.

Shocks have 13 fouls to 3 for Stanford. Shocks with their 2nd 4 point quarter of the tournament losing the 2nd quarter 26-4.

Stanford is 17-24 (70.8%) from the field. The Shocks 6-26 (23.1%)

Comment

Working...
                                X