No announcement yet.

Jane Albright gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm surprised by the timing. At this point I'd have let her finish the tournament. Personally, I'd wished they'd made the move sooner and let Gilespie take over and see what he could do. In the end though, Jane moving on was the right thing.

The players may have lost somebody they cared about but a number of them knew this was coming and some I'd say are probably a little happy for a new direction. She had her time and failed horribly. I wanted her to succeed and I really like her as a person. But if you can't keep your team at least competitve you're in the wrong place.

Who ever the replacement is will have a better shot at keeping some of the local talent than Jane did. I've heard from a few different people that some of the kids and families simply had no desire to play for Jane and weren't thrilled with how she operated. Hopefully we can get something going and resolved in the coaching search sooner rather than later but I trust JS will have a small list of names and make his decision in a timely manor. One that will get the Lady Shox to the top of the Valley.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

As much as most of us wanted her to go, I am truly surprised that JS didn't wait until after the tournament.

She did get a very nice buyout though, so I'm sure she'll be okay financially.

Competitively, however, I'm sure she is hurting and can't wait to get back to winning with a new team. With that, I wish her all the best and I'm sure everyone else on here does as well.

Comment

Tough timing for Mike Gillespie after moving over to the women's game this year and relocating his family.

Mike has subbed on the Jane Albright show a couple of times and is very well spoken and sounds pretty sharp. Last night he spoke very highly of our 4 seniors, Kiki, Kyrie, Taylor and Alex.

I'm hoping whoever WSU hires will consider hanging on to Mike as an assistant if that is something that could be mutually work out and acceptable.

Jane will be fine. She can take a year off and re-charge if she chooses and decide what she wants to do. She has a lot of contacts in the game. One thing I always liked about Jane was that she was always upbeat and thinking positive, even to the very end. She rarely, if ever, trashed her kids in public and their is no doubt we have a very fine group of young student-athletes representing our University and community in may ways. For that we thank you Jane. Good Luck to you.

Comment

Originally posted by shockerball05
          Snapshot9 and wxkid23... have some class, not only did someone who cares alot about women's basketball and Wichita State lose her job, but the girls on the team just lost a friend and a coach they cared about. Sure everyone was frustrated with the losses but really have some freaking class. There are a lot of people who care about Jane. And for the record if you want someone in particular to become the new coach perhaps you should learn how to properly spell his name.

Don't talk to me about class. Im sure Jane cared. Im sorry but I was getting a little bit tired of watching grade school basketball on the floor of Koch Arena. Im not a fan of Jane, never have been, but I wish her the best from here forward but I cannot say im not thrilled to see this news. And BTW... for every person that "cared" about Jane there is probably 2x that were sick and tired of her attempt at college basketball. She was here to win games and she failed.

Comment

Originally posted by wxkid23
            Snapshot9 and wxkid23... have some class, not only did someone who cares alot about women's basketball and Wichita State lose her job, but the girls on the team just lost a friend and a coach they cared about. Sure everyone was frustrated with the losses but really have some freaking class. There are a lot of people who care about Jane. And for the record if you want someone in particular to become the new coach perhaps you should learn how to properly spell his name.

Don't talk to me about class. Im sure Jane cared. Im sorry but I was getting a little bit tired of watching grade school basketball on the floor of Koch Arena. Im not a fan of Jane, never have been, but I wish her the best from here forward but I cannot say im not thrilled to see this news. And BTW... for every person that "cared" about Jane there is probably 2x that were sick and tired of her attempt at college basketball. She was here to win games and she failed.
            Why shouldn't someone talk to you about class? You have clearly displayed that you could use the lecture.
            "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

show some class

Comment

I too am very surprised by the timing here. Why let her go before the tournament and then let her coach at the tournament? Either wait till the tournament is over, or let Mike take the team to St. Charles. How are the girls supposed to play now? How is Jane supposed to act now? How do you travel with this atmosphere? A total mental trip for the girls.
                I was once fired from a job on a Thursday afternoon. My supervisor said that I was fired, but they were really short-handed and could I help them out tomorrow. Kinda what JS did to Jane. Not quite sure of the reasoning here. I think Jane should stay home and let the girls go play. It would be a better atmosphere for all involved.

Comment

It's simple signaling...that's all. JS wants to get a jump on potential candidates so he let's everyone know before the end of the season. He may have a candidate in place shortly after the tournament so recruiting doesn't suffer so much.

He's just trying to get an early start and let potential candidates know that there's an opportunity. A 250K buyout in and of itself is a nice benefit to attract potential candidates.

Hopefully we'll get someone young and hot...I mean good.

Comment

My guess is Jim left the decision whether to Coach in the MVC Tournament totally up to Jane.

You never know how this will effect a team. They may come out inspired and ready to go to the wall for Jane or they may just say enough is enough and just go through the motions.

My guess is they will give it everything they have.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
                      My guess is Jim left the decision whether to Coach in the MVC Tournament totally up to Jane.

You never know how this will effect a team. They may come out inspired and ready to go to the wall for Jane or they may just say enough is enough and just go through the motions.

My guess is they will give it everything they have.
                      That's pretty much what I was thinking. That Jane asked to finish out the season. If so, that really is a classy, selfless move for her players.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
                        Originally posted by wxkid23

Why shouldn't someone talk to you about class? You have clearly displayed that you could use the lecture.
                        lol okay ... if u think so... :D

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                          Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
                          OK. Jim Schaus is a nicer guy than me. $250,000 is a very nice "Good Bye" gift.

It's not really a gift. She has a contract. WSU is obligated to fulfill their part of the contract which is to pay her.
                          The gift was (a) the contract extension in the past and (b) the lack of an appropriate (and reasonable) buyout option for WSU.
                          Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                          Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

I have some impressions about Jane (from students, low level people in the athletics department, other fans, my "psychic", my wiji board, etc. :lol: ) but these don't matter now. I wish her the best of luck in the future. As with all people who choose to represent WSU, all I can say is "Thanks for being a Shocker!!"
                            Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

It's not really a gift. She has a contract. WSU is obligated to fulfill their part of the contract which is to pay her.
                              The gift was (a) the contract extension in the past and (b) the lack of an appropriate (and reasonable) buyout option for WSU.

I understand what you are saying but a)no significant D1 program is going to have a contract with a coach that doesn't roll over or get extended. You simply cannot compete in recruiting without it. No one will ever sign if you only have a one year deal.

b)refer to a as it's part of the same thing. Buyouts work the other way. Like Mark buying his way out of the contract. If you have a $50k buyout for instance on a 3 year deal at 115k per...no coach is going to agree to that and no recruit is going to sign with you because there is no assurance you'll be there.

The deal for less than the $345 ish owed to her was good for all sides.

Comment

I understand what you are saying but a)no significant D1 program is going to have a contract with a coach that doesn't roll over or get extended. You simply cannot compete in recruiting without it. No one will ever sign if you only have a one year deal.

b)refer to a as it's part of the same thing. Buyouts work the other way. Like Mark buying his way out of the contract. If you have a $50k buyout for instance on a 3 year deal at 115k per...no coach is going to agree to that and no recruit is going to sign with you because there is no assurance you'll be there.

The deal for less than the $345 ish owed to her was good for all sides.
                                Then explain Barry Hinson's one year extension and minimal buyout.

Comment

Working...
                                X