No announcement yet.

WBB: NCAA Selection Show Watch Party

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know nothing about the Cal team. Have not seen them play.

Looks like Cal plays about 7 deep so I don't see them with a big depth advantage.

They start 6-3, 6-2, 6-2, 5-10 and 5-9 so they will have a size advantage but not overwhelmingly so. My guess is they are a pretty athletic team.

There starting lineup is:
    6-3 Sr. F Reshanda Gray leads the Bears with 17.5 PPG and 7.2 RPG
    5-9 Sr. G Brittany Boyd 13.3 PPG and 7.7 RPG and also leads the Bears with 6.8 APG and has 94 steals on the year
    6-2 Fr. G Mikayla Cowling is at 10.1 PPG and 4.9 RPG
    5-10 So. G Mercedes Jefflo puts up 9.5 PPG and 3.1 RPG
    6-2 Fr. G Gabby Green contributes 6.6 PPG and 5.7 RPG

Primary Reserves:
    6-3 So. F Courtney Range averages 8.7 PPG and 5.5 RPG in 24 MPG
    6-3 Fr. F Penina Davidson chips in 3.5 PPG and 1.5 RPG in 12 MPG

It looks to me like Brittany Boyd is Cal's slightly smaller version of Alex Harden. The only thing she doesn't do is block shots. Otherwise it looks to me like she is the player that makes Cal go. I suspect the Jamillah Bonner will probably get the primary duty of tying to control Boyd.

Not sure how Jody will choose to match up with the rest of the Bears but we may need Brittany Martin to give us more than her normal amount of minutes in the post. Perhaps spelling Alie here and there.

I would not expect that Alex, Jamillah, Kelsey or Michaela will get much down time unless foul trouble comes in to play.

Cal did lose big to a so-so Kansas team in Lawrence 39-62. And they also lost the following game at Long Beach State. Of course, those were road games. Cal was 4-4 over their last 8 games after winning 12 of their previous 14.

I think the Shocks have a shot although it will be tough. A long way from home on Cal's home court.

Comment

Horseshit

Comment

Well, sorry Cal. It isn't your fault that the selection committee is incompetent, but you are going to be the ones to bear the brunt of it.
        "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Our Men's team was under seeded by two places. I believe that it is then a Title IX requirement that the women be under seeded by two places as well. NCAA logic!
          The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

If the Shocks can get by Cal then we get the winner of the 5-12 game between Texas and Western Kentucky.

Comment

If Cal pays as little attention to us as their fans, we'll destroy them. They are not only not talking about the game with us, they are not talking about the Texas/WKU winner and jumping right into talking about UCONN.

"Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
                I love how ESPN is talking about how great Ohio State is, but apparently our win over them doesn't mean anything.
                So we kick Ohio State's ass on a neutral court and the Buckeyes are seeded 8 slots higher than the Shockers. Yeah, that makes sense.

Comment

There are so many things wrong with the women's game. They complain about respect but do nothing to grow the game.

1) The disparity in talent from the #1 player to the #1000 player is so much greater than the men. Yet, the elite women disregard all regional allegiance and gravitate to the Connecticuts of the world so they can win by 40 most nights. Come on ladies, challenge yourselves.

2) The tournament insures that the Power teams stay on top. Playing tournament games on home floors is so unfair. Does the women's tournament really think we are paying attention to how many people in the stands.

3) And by virtue of 1 and 2, the opportunities to broaden interest are minimized. Make it possible for more teams to win and more people will watch.

I have 3 daughters and all of them played HS basketball. I'm not a male chauvinist as it comes to women's sports. However, I have no interest in watching Connecticut devour overmatched teams.

By the way, a 13 seed for WSU is so unfair and will possibly cost us a coach. Shame on the Women's Basketball Committee. Shame on the Women's Basketball Powers. Shame on the girls who place easy wins above personal challenge.
                  Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

The most obvious problem is having 15 scholarships for a shallower talent pool. The combination of 13 scholarships and a deeper talent pool is what allows men's teams at smaller schools to be competitive. In the women's game, a small set of schools at the top can store away a higher percentage of the top talent, maintaining a monopoly.

Comment

Goodness, The selection committee took Power 5 and shoved it in our face till we gagged...thumbs down!
                      It's even worse than the men's bracket...awful!!!
                      Well we know two things: The ladies can beat the crap out of a 5 seed on a neutral court and go toe to toe with a 2 seed at their place.
                      My bet: Shox win regardless of seeding.

Also this crap:
                      In the end, geography didn't matter and RPI was nothing more than a guide. Which meant Maryland and Tennessee, the presumed Nos. 4 and 5 overall teams on the S-curve, were grouped together in the Spokane Regional, and Princeton wound up with a No. 8 seed.

Why even have RPI at all???
                      LL&P _\\//

Comment

The most obvious problem is having 15 scholarships for a shallower talent pool. The combination of 13 scholarships and a deeper talent pool is what allows men's teams at smaller schools to be competitive. In the women's game, a small set of schools at the top can store away a higher percentage of the top talent, maintaining a monopoly.
                        15 for women's versus 13 for the men is just stupid, stupid, stupid. Who makes the rules, Connecticut, Stanford and Baylor?
                        Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Not sure exactly how the Nolan Power Index (NPI) is constructed or what it's track record is but here are the RPI/NPI/RealTime Power Rating/AP Poll Rank and the seedings of Wichita State, California, Ohio State and Texas:

37/23/38/35 - Wichita State - 13 Seed
                          24/31/28/24 - California - 4 Seed
                          30/46/25/23 - Ohio State - 5 Seed
                          21/49/32/33 - Texas - 5 Seed

Difficult to understand how there can be that big of a discrepancy in seeding. I clearly do not understand the seeding process.
                          Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 16, 2015, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                            I clearly do not understand the seeding process.
                            Well I guess that makes you qualified to be on the selection committee.

Comment

Interesting fact: Cal has 4 home losses, which is the most among any team in the top 25 of the rpi (Cal is 24) and tied for the most in the top 50.

Comment

I used to think that the 15 scholarship limit was a problem myself. However, while I have never seen or done an exhaustive study it doesn't seem like too many teams actually carry a roster of 15 players. At least it seems unusual to me on a somewhat anecdotal basis.

I looked at the Top 16 seeds in this year NCAA Tournament and only South Carolina and Stanford have rosters of 15 players. The other 14 teams have rosters ranging from 10 at Cal to 14 at Iowa and Arizona State. The average roster size of these 16 teams is 12.875 players. And this assumes there are no walk-ons populating any of those rosters which may or may not be the case.

So yes, while the 15 scholarship has the potential for teams to stockpile talent I am not sure that it is in fact happening.

Jody has told me that she would probably never utilize the full allotment of 15 scholarships because you simply can't keep that many players happy. I suspect that is a common thought among D-1 coaches.

So why even have the 15 scholarship limit? Not sure of any good reason outside of Title IX considerations. Personally, I think you can build a very adequate basketball team (men's or women) with a roster of 12. Most coaches don't play more than 8 or 9 deep anyway. That would give you 3 players per class if totally balanced. The UConn women have a roster of 12 players and they are doing just fine.

There is no doubt that the talent pool on the women's side of things is much shallower than the men. To complicate matters many good basketball players have the option of playing volleyball in college. The men not so much since there are only 25 teams playing NCAA D-1 volleyball. Just look at the athletes and size on the Shocker volleyball roster as an example. I think a lot of women may prefer the finesse of volleyball to the physicality of basketball. The scholarships provide the same benefits. Again I have no empirical evidence to support this. Just a casual observation.

Not sure what the answer is.
                                Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 18, 2015, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X