WBB: Senior Day 2015 vs UNI at 2:00 pm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    The Shocks would be at 28-5 in that scenario with only one bad loss on the year (Eastern Washington) and one high quality loss by 3 at Tennessee.
    At the Paradise Jam, we had the loss to Florida Gulf Coast whose RPI is 15 and the win over Ohio State with an RPI of 34. So our record against the Top 50 in RPI is 1-2. With our split with Drake at 68 and wins over Kansas State at 73 and Creighton at 85, our record against the Next 50 is 3-1.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
      At the Paradise Jam, we had the loss to Florida Gulf Coast whose RPI is 15 and the win over Ohio State with an RPI of 34. So our record against the Top 50 in RPI is 1-2. With our split with Drake at 68 and wins over Kansas State at 73 and Creighton at 85, our record against the Next 50 is 3-1.
      What's your opinion on the Shockers at-large prospects?

Comment

Ladies receive 4 votes in this week's AP Poll, good for T-36 (we were T-39 last week, and T-43 the week before that).

Comment

What's your opinion on the Shockers at-large prospects?
          I suspect they are not particularly great, but it all depends on how wedded the Committee is to RPI. Do they look at the out-of-conference RPI? Do they look at other ways of parsing the RPI? I sense the Men's Committee (although I don't follow it that closely) gives more respect to mid-major conferences than they did in the past. I don't think the Women's Committee is at the same place. BWDIK.

I should look at how deep in the RPI the Committee went last year if I can find the information.

Comment

While I am generally not all that wild about most of the time-out promotions I have to admit that I enjoyed the little kid, looked to be around 8 years old, knock down 10 free throws in the FT shooting contest. He might have done better as he had a real rhythm going until the cheerleader botched a rebound and broke that rhythm. And yes he was shooting 15 footers.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 2, 2015, 02:55 PM.

Comment

FWIW

ESPN's Charlie Creme has the Lady Shox seeded 13th as the Auto-Bid from the MVC against #4 seeded Kentucky playing in Lexington...Sometimes I really wish the first and second round sites were pre-determined for the women's tourney. From a financial standpoint I understand but it really makes it difficult for any upsets/parody to happen. WSU ladies came close last year though.
              LL&P _\\//

Comment

Last year, Dayton of the Atlantic 10 (conference rank of 9) did not get their auto bid and received an at-large with an RPI rank of 14.

Bowling Green of the Mid-American (12) did not get their auto bid and did not receive an at-large with an RPI of 35.

South Dakota State of The Summit League (20) did not get their auto bid and did not receive an at-large with an RPI of 42.

I think this confirms that the Shockers are unlikely to get an at-large bid.

Comment

Originally posted by BlkSaxShock View Post
                  FWIW

ESPN's Charlie Creme has the Lady Shox seeded 13th as the Auto-Bid from the MVC against #4 seeded Kentucky playing in Lexington...Sometimes I really wish the first and second round sites were pre-determined for the women's tourney. From a financial standpoint I understand but it really makes it difficult for any upsets/parody to happen. WSU ladies came close last year though.
                  I remember hearing both the UCONN and Baylor women's coaches saying they think it should be set neutral sites. After watching us get homered at Penn State, it is obvious it is about money. When we are playing ferocious "D" and have 4-5 in double figures, we can't be stopped. To do that three consecutive days, not that we need to in the Valley tourney, and then two times in three days in the first round of the NCAA's is tough to do, but we're awfully tough.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                    Last year, Dayton of the Atlantic 10 (conference rank of 9) did not get their auto bid and received an at-large with an RPI rank of 14.

Bowling Green of the Mid-American (12) did not get their auto bid and did not receive an at-large with an RPI of 35.

South Dakota State of The Summit League (20) did not get their auto bid and did not receive an at-large with an RPI of 42.

I think this confirms that the Shockers are unlikely to get an at-large bid.
                    And the problem is we do not have much an opportunity to improve on our current RPI of 44 even if we win out through the Valley Tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtimewomen's hoopcoach View Post
                      I remember hearing both the UCONN and Baylor women's coaches saying they think it should be set neutral sites. After watching us get homered at Penn State, it is obvious it is about money. When we are playing ferocious "D" and have 4-5 in double figures, we can't be stopped. To do that three consecutive days, not that we need to in the Valley tourney, and then two times in three days in the first round of the NCAA's is tough to do, but we're awfully tough.
                      That is one thing the men are able to benefit from by having the MVC tourney a week and a half before the NCAA tourney. That extra rest can really help our endurance.

Assuming the ladies are able to take care of business in St. Charles, I see no reason why they cant pull off an upset in the NCAA tourney. Especially with the way they played @Tennessee this year. If our seniors can stay out of foul trouble, and can extend pressure against the opponent, a performance like they had in Knoxville will give the Shockers a W 60% of the time. They just got the short end of the stick that game.
                      LL&P _\\//

Comment

Originally posted by oldtimewomen's hoopcoach View Post
                        To do that three consecutive days, not that we need to in the Valley tourney, and then two times in three days in the first round of the NCAA's is tough to do, but we're awfully tough.
                        Actually, that is the $64,000 Question. It is not at all clear that we don't have to win the Valley Tournament to make the NCAA's. Evidence from previous years would suggest we may very well have to.

In any case, at a minimum we probably have to win our final two regular season games on the road and make it to the Valley Championship game to have a shot at an at-large bid (my opinion only). If that is the case, we are still having to play 5 more games one way or the other.

Comment

LL&P _\\//

Comment

A couple of comments from the UNI game:

Student support = zilch or very close to it. :(

UNI Coach Tanya Warren spending a good amount of time talking one-on-one with Alex Harden during the post game handshake = :good:

Comment

Student support = zilch or very close to it. :(
                              I'm not sure I completely agree. While I would have liked to see more students attend, there were more than usual and I thought that the ones that did come helped to raise the noise level. That said, this team does deserve more student support than it gets. 3 consecutive MVC titles ought to get people in the seats.
                              The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Originally posted by tgcshock View Post
                                I'm not sure I completely agree. While I would have liked to see more students attend, there were more than usual and I thought that the ones that did come helped to raise the noise level. That said, this team does deserve more student support than it gets. 3 consecutive MVC titles ought to get people in the seats.
                                I'm excluding the Pep Band. They are great. But they aren't really there by choice.

Comment

Working...
                                X