WBB - Lady Shocks Host Loyola & Bradley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
    I have to wonder what the Lady Shox will look like next year. So little production from the younger players. What's the future look like?
    Next year is pretty cloudy right now. Hard to believe we won't take a few steps backwards. We will just have to see how the two transfers and the 3 incoming freshman can contribute and whether or not any of our returning bench players can make a big step forward.

This year's team, like most of Jody's teams have been, is built on defense. This year's defense has been built on the foundation of Alex Harden, Jamillah Bonner and Kelsey Jacobs, our 3 departing seniors. Not to mention they are key components of our offense as well. You take away the foundation and you generally are faced with some major rebuilding work.

Beyond next year who knows. Enjoy this year. Look for a rebuilding year next year and then we will see where we stand going forward from there.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 16, 2015, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      Next year is pretty cloudy right now. Hard to believe we won't take a few steps backwards. We will just have to see how the two transfers and the 3 incoming freshman can contribute and whether or not any of our returning bench players can make a big step forward.

This year's team, like most of Jody's teams have been, is built on defense. This year's defenses has been built on the foundation of Alex Harden, Jamillah Bonner and Kelsey Jacobs, our 3 departing seniors. You take away the foundation and you generally are faced with some major rebuilding work.

Beyond next year who knows. Enjoy this year. Look for a rebuilding year next year and then we will see where we stand going forward from there.
      As always a perfect evaluation.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtimewomen's hoopcoach View Post
        As always a perfect evaluation.
        I've been digging deeper into how it is going for the team and it is the same pattern. Toward the end of the season, Jody drives her players hard, especially her seniors, to the point they don't like the game. They get tired and don't beat teams maybe they could in the Valley or NCAA. I think Jody has done a lot of good for the program, but she only knows one speed and one size fits all coaching pattern. I hope we finish strong and go deep into the NCAA, but I have my doubts.

Comment

I've been digging deeper into how it is going for the team and it is the same pattern. Toward the end of the season, Jody drives her players hard, especially her seniors, to the point they don't like the game. They get tired and don't beat teams maybe they could in the Valley or NCAA. I think Jody has done a lot of good for the program, but she only knows one speed and one size fits all coaching pattern. I hope we finish strong and go deep into the NCAA, but I have my doubts.
          Serious question: I love the way our team plays and the players seem to really like each other but the stuff about Jody (who is obviously a hell of a coach) makes me wonder if her mentor was like that or did Coach Summit know when to call off the dogs? One thing about HCGM, who will never be accused of being a soft touch, is that he knows when to ratchet back the practices a couple of notches towards the end of the season which usually works out well for us.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
            Serious question: I love the way our team plays and the players seem to really like each other but the stuff about Jody (who is obviously a hell of a coach) makes me wonder if her mentor was like that or did Coach Summit know when to call off the dogs? One thing about HCGM, who will never be accused of being a soft touch, is that he knows when to ratchet back the practices a couple of notches towards the end of the season which usually works out well for us.
            Everything I know about Summit is that she was pretty much the same way. I can't say specifically about late year practices, but Pat backing off wouldn't really be in character.
            "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

I really have no particular inside information or insight into whether Jody pushes too hard, too far or not. Jody certainly has scoreboard overall in that she is by far the winningest coach in Shocker WBB history. That said her best teams have had a tendency to stumble down the stretch in regular season conference play.

3 years ago the Shocks started Valley play 8-1 and then finished 4-5 in the 2nd half. Lost to a Drake team we had beaten by 22 and 18 in the regular season in the semi-finals of the Valley Tournament.

2 years ago the Shocks started Valley play 10-0 and then finished 5-3. However, won the Valley Tournament (3 games in 3 days).

Last year the Shocks started Valley play at 12-0 before stumbling to a 2-4 record to close out the regular season but again won the Valley Tournament.

We'll have to see how things play out this year. This year's team is probably more lacking in the depth department than any of teams of the past 3 years. The Shocks should go to 12-1 Next Friday at Illinois State (1-12). Losing to Illinois State would be a huge warning sign.

However, the Shocks do have a challenging closing 5 games once they get past Illinois State. @ SIU (8-5 and playing their best ball of the year), home vs Drake (11-1), home vs UNI (8-4), @ Evansville (6-7) and @ Indiana State (6-7). Hopefully, the Shocks can break the trend of the past 3 seasons.

Clearly questions about Jody's teams wearing down have some basis. However, winning 3 games in 3 days in the Valley Tournament is no easy task and the Shocks were able to come back the last 2 seasons and do that. And quite frankly in the Valley you probably need to win the auto-bid to the NCAA Tournament that goes with winning the Valley Tournament if you want to go to the big dance.

You look at this year's team and their lack of depth and you wonder if and when they will hit the wall.

The immediate concern is for next Friday and Sunday against Illinois State and SIU. SIU could be a real barometer. They have won 6 games in a row including wins over Drake, UNI, Evansville and Indiana State. They can certainly match and probably exceed the Shockers' athleticism and the game is in Carbondale. However, a loss at SIU won't necessarily indicate we have hit the wall. SIU is plenty good enough to beat the Shocks in any case.

Good luck, Ladies. You have had a great year.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 15, 2015, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                I heard Jody recently say on her radio program that in her early days of being a head coach that she frequently went to Sumter for advice and guidance about how hard to push players, when to back off etc. Jody didn't say this but I took it to mean that she recognized that maybe she has a tendency to push too hard and she was trying to make sure that she had the proper balance.
                ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
                  I heard Jody recently say on her radio program that in her early days of being a head coach that she frequently went to Sumter for advice and guidance about how hard to push players, when to back off etc. Jody didn't say this but I took it to mean that she recognized that maybe she has a tendency to push too hard and she was trying to make sure that she had the proper balance.
                  I assume Sumter = Pat Summitt

Comment

I went to a coaching clinic once that featured Pat Summit and Indiana Coach Bob Knight. Knight looked like a ***** cat compared to Pat. Her level of intensity was amazing. My first thought about Pat was she could coach any level and either sex with the same results and just like Jody, her program would not be for everyone, nor was it. Jody had a very strict disciplinarian in her father who was a highly recognized wrestling coach in Tennessee. I'm sure the combination of Dad and Pat formed her coaching methods. Jody, I know has tried to ramp it down and give the kids some rest, but it's just not in her DNA.

Comment

I went to a coaching clinic once that featured Pat Summit and Indiana Coach Bob Knight. Knight looked like a ***** cat compared to Pat. Her level of intensity was amazing. My first thought about Pat was she could coach any level and either sex with the same results and just like Jody, her program would not be for everyone, nor was it. Jody had a very strict disciplinarian in her father who was a highly recognized wrestling coach in Tennessee. I'm sure the combination of Dad and Pat formed her coaching methods. Jody, I know has tried to ramp it down and give the kids some rest, but it's just not in her DNA.
                      I see my word got blocked out. I didn't know how I described a cat was a bad word. Maybe it is one word and the computer edited it. I'll try kitty cat instead of p***y cat.

Comment

Alex needs to pick up the pace don't you think?

WICHITA, Kan. -- Wichita State senior guard Alex Harden has been named the Missouri Valley Conference and College Sports Madness Players of the week, it was announced today.

Harden averaged 23.0 points, 7.5 rebounds, 3.5 assists, 3.0 steals, 1.5 blocks and shot 60 percent (15-25) from the field to lead WSU to a 2-0 week with wins against Loyola and Bradley.

Just kidding, of course. What a wonderful player. A joy to watch her and follow her growth over her Shocker career.

To top if off she is the best defensive player in the Valley and has been for 3 years and she is one of the most unselfish players in the Valley.

It was interesting and fun to watch Alex operate at the 5 spot on both ends of the court against Bradley. The Braves had no answer for her when she worked the paint. Then Kelsey returns to the game and Alex is back running the point and guarding Bradley's point guard. Then she worked the corners for a while as a stretch 4 and also operated as a 2 guard at times. She was all over the court both literally and figuratively. It was really quite a show and she missed a couple of bunnies and a few FT's she normally would knock down.

Alex will not be missed......

.....by all the other Valley players and coaches. I suspect Alex get's the same reaction as Tekele Cotton does when their opponent sees that is who is guarding them. Oh goody!
                        Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 16, 2015, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Alex needs to pick up the pace don't you think?

WICHITA, Kan. -- Wichita State senior guard Alex Harden has been named the Missouri Valley Conference and College Sports Madness Players of the week, it was announced today.

Harden averaged 23.0 points, 7.5 rebounds, 3.5 assists, 3.0 steals, 1.5 blocks and shot 60 percent (15-25) from the field to lead WSU to a 2-0 week with wins against Loyola and Bradley.

Just kidding, of course. What a wonderful player. A joy to watch her and follow her growth over her Shocker career.

To top if off she is the best defensive player in the Valley and has been for 3 years and she is one of the most unselfish players in the Valley.

It was interesting and fun to watch Alex operate at the 5 spot on both ends of the court against Bradley. The Braves had no answer for her when she worked the paint. Then Kelsey returns to the game and Alex is back running the point and guarding Bradley's point guard. Then she worked the corners for a while as a stretch 4 and also operated as a 2 guard at times. She was all over the court both literally and figuratively. It was really quite a show and she missed a couple of bunnies and a few FT's she normally would knock down.

Alex will not be missed......

.....by all the other Valley players and coaches. I suspect Alex get's the same reaction as Tekele Cotton does when their opponent sees that is who is guarding them. Oh goody!
                          She is one of the best I've ever seen. We Shocker fans have been blessed.

Comment

You are correct. My bad.
                            ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Jody, I know has tried to ramp it down and give the kids some rest, but it's just not in her DNA.
                              That is what assistant coaches are for.

Comment

Working...
                              X