No announcement yet.

Shocks host SIU on Friday, Jan 31st and Evansville on Sundaym Feb 2nd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Lady Shocks did manage to extend their win streak to 17 games today with a 66-48 win that was anything but that close and anything but a thing of beauty. A 14-2 run over the final 4 minutes of the game made the final score somewhat deceptive. Evansville had pulled to with 52-46 with about 5 minutes remaining. They then picked off an ill-advised pass by Michaela and had a break away layup that would have pulled them within 4. Fortunately, they missed that layup and the Shocks closed out the game with their best stretch of the game.

An extremely young and smallish Evansville team came in with a good game plan as they packed in a zone and then benefited from a poor shooting game by the Shocks. Also Evansville pretty much outhustled the Shocks for most of the game. Until the final 4 minutes of the game the Shocks simply were not very good today. Not sure how much not having Kelsey in the lineup impacted them.

Michelle Price lead the Shocks with 21 points and 10 rebounds despite only making 7 of 14 free throws. Alex Harden also contributed a double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds and lead the Shocks with 5 assists.

The Shocks were only 3-17 from three today and did not have a lot of success penetrating the zone. A lot of the damage Michelle did was on the offensive boards as she grabbed 6 offensive rebounds.

Probably saw the Valley Freshman of the Year in Sara Dickey, a 5-11 Guard, who lead the Aces with 18 points. Evansville could be pretty solid in a couple of years.

Comment

Last place Bradley also picked up a home win over Illinois State 64-62.

Valley standings at the mid-point of the season:

1. Wichita State (9-0, 18-2)
      2. Indiana State (7-2, 12-8)
      3. Northern Iowa (6-3, 10-10)
      4T. Missouri State (5-4, 10-10)
      4T. Loyola (5-4, 9-12)
      6. Illinois State (4-5, 5-14)
      7. Drake (3-6, 9-11)
      8T. Evansville (2-7, 7-13)
      8T. Bradley (2-7, 5-15)
      8T. Southern Illinois (2-7, 4-16)

Shocks in great shape. I didn't think they played real good this weekend. They need to get it going again as we head down the stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        The Lady Shocks did manage to extend their win streak to 17 games today with a 66-48 win that was anything but that close and anything but a thing of beauty. A 14-2 run over the final 4 minutes of the game made the final score somewhat deceptive. Evansville had pulled to with 52-46 with about 5 minutes remaining. They then picked off an ill-advised pass by Michaela and had a break away layup that would have pulled them within 4. Fortunately, they missed that layup and the Shocks closed out the game with their best stretch of the game.

An extremely young and smallish Evansville team came in with a good game plan as they packed in a zone and then benefited from a poor shooting game by the Shocks. Also Evansville pretty much outhustled the Shocks for most of the game. Until the final 4 minutes of the game the Shocks simply were not very good today. Not sure how much not having Kelsey in the lineup impacted them.

Michelle Price lead the Shocks with 21 points and 10 rebounds despite only making 7 of 14 free throws. Alex Harden also contributed a double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds and lead the Shocks with 5 assists.

The Shocks were only 3-17 from three today and did not have a lot of success penetrating the zone. A lot of the damage Michelle did was on the offensive boards as she grabbed 6 offensive rebounds.

Probably saw the Valley Freshman of the Year in Sara Dickey, a 5-11 Guard, who lead the Aces with 18 points. Evansville could be pretty solid in a couple of years.
        Heard Kelsey was having an MRI. I saw Jody said in the Eagle that Kelsey is the "Glue" of the team and reporter said they missed her trapping defense and high post offense. She is long and leads the Valley in blocks, so it will be good that she comes back healthy. Two challenges next weekend if we don't bring our "A" game.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtimewomen's hoopcoach View Post
          Heard Kelsey was having an MRI.
          "starter Kelsey Jacobs, held out as a precaution with a muscle strain" from the game article. Someone help me out - how does an MRI relate to a muscle strain?

Comment

Ya Jeff, Help us out.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
              "starter Kelsey Jacobs, held out as a precaution with a muscle strain" from the game article. Someone help me out - how does an MRI relate to a muscle strain?
              No clue and who knows if it is a muscle strain. I also don't know if the SASO fan who gave me this information is accurate; though usually is.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                I'm quite sure I can't answer your question with any degree of accuracy, but how many times have one of our baseball pitchers complained about a twinge in their forearm and an MRI later they are having Tommy John surgery. Perhaps just something precautionary to make sure it is nothing more than a muscle strain. Maybe it's more than a muscle strain. Maybe she is not really having an MRI. I guess we will find out eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  I'm quite sure I can't answer your question with any degree of accuracy, but how many times have one of our baseball pitchers complained about a twinge in their forearm and an MRI later they are having Tommy John surgery. Perhaps just something precautionary to make sure it is nothing more than a muscle strain. Maybe it's more than a muscle strain. Maybe she is not really having an MRI. I guess we will find out eventually.
                  I had no idea if an MRI is used to detect "hot spots" in a muscle strain or stress fractures in a femur or tibia or the "looseness" of a previously operated-on knee.

Comment

Moved to Bradley & Loyola thread.
                    Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 7, 2014, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X