Shocks host SIU on Friday, Jan 31st and Evansville on Sundaym Feb 2nd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks host SIU on Friday, Jan 31st and Evansville on Sundaym Feb 2nd

The Valley leading Lady Shocks (16-2, 7-0) finish up the 1st half of Valley play and look to extend their all-time best 15 game winning streak as they host SIU (4-14, 2-5) on Friday at 7:00 and Evansville (7-11, 2-5) on Sunday at 2:00. SIU and Evansville are currently in a tied for 7th place in the Valley standings.

While there is still half of the conference season remaining and while the Shocks only have a 1-game lead over 2nd place Indiana State the Shocks have put themselves in an enviable position in the Valley race. The Shocks played 5 of their first 7 Valley games on the road and they own road wins over 2nd place INS by 20, 4th place LOY by 13, tied for 5th MSU by 30, tied form 5th ILS by 16 and 10th place BU by 2. The 2-point win over Bradley is kind of a head-scratcher even if it was a road game. However, the Shocks have been rolling since that game including back-to-back 33-point blowouts of 3rd place UNI and 9th place DU in their only 2 home games of the Valley season to date.

It is hard for me to believe that the Shocks will lose to either of these teams this weekend, although I suppose anything is possible if they can they can only beat Bradley by 2, even if it was on the road, and after watching the Shocker men go in a funk in the 2nd half against Loyola this week at home. However, if the Shocks lose either one of these games I no doubt will become physically sick and lose control of all of my bodily functions which could get ugly (not to mention smelly).

Shocker Game Notes for the SIU game.

:poster_shocks:

The Bradley game was 95% due to the refs. No head scratcher when you are not allowed to play any defense whatsoever

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
      The Bradley game was 95% due to the refs. No head scratcher when you are not allowed to play any defense whatsoever
      Yes, a lot of fouls called on the Shocks in that game. 34 fouls with 4 players (Jamillah, Kelsey, Michelle and Michaela) fouling out and two others with 4 fouls each. Had a pretty good lead in the 2nd half but just don't have the depth to withstand that kind of foul trouble. Jamillah was tearing it up in that game and had 28 points when she fouled out with almost 7 minutes to play.

I did not see the game so I will have to defer to you that that was primarily due to poor officiating. I remember Jody did not seem to pleased in her brief post-game comments although she did not come right out and blame the refs IIRC. However, Bradley did outscore us from the line by 15 in that game.

I was interested to see the Shocks play quite a bit of zone against Indiana State which seemed out of the ordinary for this year's team. Perhaps Jody was just saving that up to spring a surprise on the Sycamores. In any case, nice to know we have that in our quiver in case we get into a game where we may need to protect some players in foul trouble.

Comment

Missouri State 87-70 Evansville

Comment

Shockers 74-51 Southern Illinois

Twenty-five minutes of dominating basketball. Then things got sloppy when more of the freshmen got on the court.

Also, missed seeing Coach Crawford on the bench tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
            Shockers 74-51 Southern Illinois

Twenty-five minutes of dominating basketball. Then things got sloppy when more of the freshmen got on the court.

Also, missed seeing Coach Crawford on the bench tonight.
            Unfortunately, the benched showed why they are on the bench. Kirk is out sick.

Comment

Yep this team looks to have the depth of Cheney Lake in July. Top 6 are really good though

Comment

Even the front line players weren't firing on all cylinders. Great defense. Poor shooting.

A little reminiscent of the men's game against Loyola the other night.

In any case that extends the winning streak to 16.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                  Yep this team looks to have the depth of Cheney Lake in July. Top 6 are really good though
                  I'm still trying to figure out how good the Shocks are vs how bad the rest of the Valley is. Both have contributed to the winning streak.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                    I'm still trying to figure out how good the Shocks are vs how bad the rest of the Valley is. Both have contributed to the winning streak.
                    Totally agree. I know we are good, but man Southern Illinois was bad. They missed multiple bunnies on several occasions. If WSU could have made a layup in the first half it would have been 60-11 before the break. The 2nd half was tough to watch and seemed to crawl by.

Comment

Originally posted by Shox1979 View Post
                      Totally agree. I know we are good, but man Southern Illinois was bad. They missed multiple bunnies on several occasions. If WSU could have made a layup in the first half it would have been 60-11 before the break. The 2nd half was tough to watch and seemed to crawl by.
                      You know your're having a good season, when you keep winning and get board watching in the second have or question the quality of play. So. Ill. was weak. Our defensive intensity remains with our top six even if we aren't shooting it well. We have a very nice team; a team I believe would now beat Oklahoma and of course St. Joe's. K-State spanked Oklahoma.

Comment

Local paper game articles: ours and theirs.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                          Local paper game articles: ours and theirs.
                          Saw Kelsey leave Koch after the men's game with a brace on the knee she had surgically repaired in high school. I don't know the story, but hope this is temporary. She's a key factor to our success. Fortunately, we're not playing a top team today.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtimewomen's hoopcoach View Post
                            Saw Kelsey leave Koch after the men's game with a brace on the knee she had surgically repaired in high school. I don't know the story, but hope this is temporary. She's a key factor to our success. Fortunately, we're not playing a top team today.
                            No Kelsey today. I'll be interested to see how we adjust. If Allie gets the start and we play a little smaller today then usual. Will be a good chance to see what a few others can do in her absence.

Comment

Scores of interest, or is it interesting scores:

Loyola 71-58 Indiana State
                              The Ramblers took an eleven-point lead into halftime and then maintained it in the second half.

Northern Iowa 64-66 Drake
                              The Bulldogs hit two three-balls inside the last thirty seconds to take the win.
                              Last edited by flyingMoose; February 2, 2014, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X