WSU women's program hopes to show off its own success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSU women's program hopes to show off its own success

They're the defending Missouri Valley champions, off to their best start in school history, led by an ardent coach and a smothering defense.

It's a familiar formula for fans of the men's basketball program at Wichita State. But university officials want fans to discover there is another team that plays the same brand of basketball and is also racking up the wins.

That's why on Saturday, the WSU women will play Northern Iowa at Koch Arena 30 minutes after the conclusion of the men's game, estimated to be around 5:45 p.m. Fans who purchased a ticket to the men's game are encouraged to stay for the women's game, free of charge.
    Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/2014/01/17/323...s-to-show.html

It will be interesting to see how may fans hang around for the women's game. On occasion in the past a ticket stub to a Saturday's men's game would get you into the women's game on the following day. Those promotions never seemed to make much of an impact. Perhaps having the doubleheader setup with the women's game on the heels of the men's game will make a difference. How the men fare may have an impact also. A win may put the fans in a mood to want to hang around and celebrate by cheering the Ladies on. An upset loss by the men could be a real buzz kill.

As for me I will be at both games for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      It will be interesting to see how may fans hang around for the women's game. On occasion in the past a ticket stub to a Saturday's men's game would get you into the women's game on the following day. Those promotions never seemed to make much of an impact. Perhaps having the doubleheader setup with the women's game on the heels of the men's game will make a difference. How the men fare may have an impact also. A win may put the fans in a mood to want to hang around and celebrate by cheering the Ladies on. An upset loss by the men could be a real buzz kill.

As for me I will be at both games for sure.
      I believe we did this last year when we hosted and lost to K-State. I believe half to 3/4 of the men's crowd left. Could be different today.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtimewomen's hoopcoach View Post
        I believe we did this last year when we hosted and lost to K-State. I believe half to 3/4 of the men's crowd left. Could be different today.
        No, we played KSU on December 4th last year. The men did not play that day. But there was a promotion and we had a good crowd (2,600) and then went on to play a very uninspired game in losing to KSU 43-48.

Comment

Around 2,500 fans hung around after the Shocker men's big win over Indiana State and were treated to an 80-47 demolition of UNI by the Lady Shocks. With the exception of 5:00 minute scoring drought at around the 8 minute mark of the 1st half the Lady Shocks were in total control and dominated the Lady Panthers.

The Shocks really brought the hammer down in the 2nd half. The opened the half with a 19-3 run to extend their 35-27 halftime lead to 24 points at 54-30 enroute to outscoring UNI 45-20 in the second half.

Alex lead the way with a POY-type performance with 22 points (9-13 FG's), 9 rebounds, 5 assists, 1 turnover, 1 block and 4 steals. Michelle contributed a double-double with 16 points (6-9 FG's) and 12 rebounds. If the Valley had an All Hard-Hat team Michelle would be the captain. Alie contributed an efficient 10 points on 4-7 FG's including 2-3 treys.

The reserves played well over the last 4 minutes of the game and actually expanded the lead by about 5 points.

The Shocks outrebounded UNI by 51-26 which is a good indication of the kind of effort the Ladies Shocks played with today. #Play Angry indeed.

The Lady Shocks extend their record win streak to 12 games and keep pace with Indiana State at the top of the Valley standings.

Nice job, Ladies.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 19, 2014, 12:02 AM.

Comment

When will they be ranked???

Comment

Originally posted by mumdaddy316 View Post
              Not likely. We run the table at 18-0 in the Valley and there will be a glimmer of hope. This is a nice team. Very tough defense and intensity. They play like a good college team, though sometimes the officials call it like a weak high school game. We'll pound Drake Monday. What fun!

Comment

Originally posted by oldtimewomen's hoopcoach View Post
                Not likely. We run the table at 18-0 in the Valley and there will be a glimmer of hope. This is a nice team. Very tough defense and intensity. They play like a good college team, though sometimes the officials call it like a weak high school game. We'll pound Drake Monday. What fun!
                Speaking of 18-0, I think the women have a better chance of going 18-0 in the Valley than the men do.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                  Speaking of 18-0, I think the women have a better chance of going 18-0 in the Valley than the men do.
                  I don't think there is a team in the Valley that can touch the men or women. What fun!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                    I agree, primarily because of the level of competition they will be facing and not because the women are relatively superior to the men. But either way their is still a very long way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by mumdaddy316 View Post
                      Current RPI is at 72 per RealTimeRPI.

Probably not. RealTimeRPI projects the Shocker women to run the table in Valley play and they project there RPI to finish at 56.

Had we finished of St. Joseph's like we should have things would be different. St. Joseph's RPI is currently sitting at 12. Unfortunately, we blew that great opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                        Current RPI is at 72 per RealTimeRPI.

Probably not. RealTimeRPI projects the Shocker women to run the table in Valley play and they project there RPI to finish at 56.

Had we finished of St. Joseph's like we should have things would be different. St. Joseph's RPI is currently sitting at 12. Unfortunately, we blew that great opportunity.
                        Warren Nolan has our RPI at 68, but with a SOS of 219, getting ranked is not going to happen. I think the best we can hope for is a RV.

Comment

Nice article on Alex Harden in the Eagle today.

Comment

Shocks jump on Drake from the get go and lead 13-0 at the 1st media timeout. Drake has 6 turnovers already and the Shocks have hit 3-5 treys in the early going.

Comment

Halftime Score: Shocks 49 - Drake 22. Gotta like that!

Comment

Working...
                              X