Coach Albright Will Be Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coach Albright Will Be Back

According to Bob Lutz' article in this morning's Wichita Eagle Coach Albright will be back:

It is Jim Schaus' decision and the Shockers' athletic director told me Monday that Albright will be back, even after a disappointing 2006-07 season.

WSU, picked to finish second in the Missouri Valley Conference, instead finished ninth and heads to the Valley tournament in Des Moines this week with a 9-19 record.

"She will be back next year," Schaus said, leaving no room for ambiguity. "She's the women's basketball coach and I'm confident in her leading the program into the future."

Sounds like a bit of a leap to me, but Schaus hired Albright and there were signs, before this season, that the program was on the right path.

Albright has four years remaining on her contract and is excited about her incoming recruiting class.

THIS MUST BE A TOTALLY ECONOMIC DECISION...AND IT DISAPPOINTS ME THAT MR.SCHAUS, WHOM I THINK DOES A GREAT JOB, IS JUST LETTING THIS RIDE.

sorry...caps. but then, again...maybe not.

Comment

The Illinois State AD made a different choice and fired Porter Moser http://www.wjbc.com/wire2/news/00090...red_101214.htm http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2788311. We will not know if JS made a good or bad choice for a couple years. I have not been impressed with how Albright seems to treat her players but I have no inside information and my impression might be incorrect. My gut instinct is that we should change coaches now ... but I'm not the AD.
      Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
      Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

We probably should

ISU probably should not have.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

...I'm seeing a pattern here... JS treats SOME coaches the same way that JA treats SOME players....some are given priority and are "still allowed to play" while continuing to "not get the job done", so to speak. :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by futureCPA
            ...I'm seeing a pattern here... JS treats SOME coaches the same way that JA treats SOME players....some are given priority and are "still allowed to play" while continuing to "not get the job done", so to speak. :roll:
            In my opinion, our best head coach is Gene Stephenson. My impression is that Jim Schaus is not a fan of Gene's. On this basis, I have questions about Jim.
            Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
              In my opinion, our best head coach is Gene Stephenson. My impression is that Jim Schaus is not a fan of Gene's. On this basis, I have questions about Jim.
              The Schaus-Stephenson conflict has to do with control. The baseball program seems like a subsidiary of the athletic department with Gene the CEO. The rest of the programs are under Schaus' control. Gene pretty much sets his own agenda for the program and I don't think Schaus particularly likes that. Problem is, that division is a success and you can't knock success. I'll bet there's a gentlemen's agreement to stay out of each other's way. Of course, if Schaus tried to fire or force Gene out, a lots of the staunch baseball supporters would go crazy.

Just one perspective from the outside looking in.

--'85.
              Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Its like I said before, Jane and Jim are good friends and they go way back. I knew she would be back. Not based on what she has done, but who she knows. Where is Donald Trump when you need him. As for the in-coming class, who knows what impact if any they will have. I know Jane will build them up in the press, just like she has on her last two recruiting classes. Buying a little more time for herself. I predict anotheir long year, and then what will Jim do, look the otheir way again? If you are a fan of womens basketball I pity you. If this was the mens coach Im afraid Mark would be gone. Just anotheir double-standard, but yet I do admit the mens program is the money-maker..... So Jane you survived by default, no one cares....I guess

Comment

Originally posted by ictshockolate
                  Its like I said before, Jane and Jim are good friends and they go way back. I knew she would be back. Not based on what she has done, but who she knows. Where is Donald Trump when you need him. As for the in-coming class, who knows what impact if any they will have. I know Jane will build them up in the press, just like she has on her last two recruiting classes. Buying a little more time for herself. I predict anotheir long year, and then what will Jim do, look the otheir way again? If you are a fan of womens basketball I pity you. If this was the mens coach Im afraid Mark would be gone. Just anotheir double-standard, but yet I do admit the mens program is the money-maker..... So Jane you survived by default, no one cares....I guess
                  You might be right.

Comment

My gut instinct is that we should change coaches now ... but I'm not the AD.
                    That pretty much somes up how I feel also. Like you I have no inside information. Obviously we have heard insinuations on this board that Coach Albright does not treat her players fairly. I really have no idea what the source of those insinuations are or whether the actual facts support them. I suppose if that is really the case we should be seeing a number of transfers out of the program over the summer. Perhaps that is the best thing for all involved if the allegations we have heard are true.

I'm not sure what Jim Schaus sees or knows that is the basis for continuing to back Jane, but I do know he has much more information than I do on which to base a decision.

As far as Jane and Gene go, you probably could not pick more polar opposites in style. Gene is not at exactly the easiest of men to cozy up to and he can be downright pushy at times, and he comes across as somewhat of a pessimist, although I think it is more perfectionist. On the other hand, Jane is the eternal optimist and rarely criticizes anyone (at least publicly). So far Gene has caught a lot more bees with vinegar, than Jane has caught with honey.

From what I have seen the women's basketball team could use at least a little dose of vinegar on occasion.

The decision has been made so nothing left to do but wish the Lady Shockers good luck in Des Moines this weekend and hopefully, we will see significant improvement in the team's performance next year.

:goshocks:

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker85
                      The Schaus-Stephenson conflict has to do with control. The baseball program seems like a subsidiary of the athletic department with Gene the CEO. The rest of the programs are under Schaus' control. Gene pretty much sets his own agenda for the program and I don't think Schaus particularly likes that. Problem is, that division is a success and you can't knock success. I'll bet there's a gentlemen's agreement to stay out of each other's way. Of course, if Schaus tried to fire or force Gene out, a lots of the staunch baseball supporters would go crazy.

Just one perspective from the outside looking in.

--'85.
                      :yes:

Comment

Did I read that Jane has 4 years left on her current contract? Is that possible or a misprint?

Comment

Originally posted by Shock_You
                          Did I read that Jane has 4 years left on her current contract? Is that possible or a misprint?
                          Yes, you did read that. Another poster had previosly mentioned that he thought Jane was working a rolling five year contract.

If true, then that would seem to support this stateement.

On the other hand, if she does have a rolling 5-year contract I would have to assume that it contains some reasonable buy-out clause.
                          However, I don't for sure that is the case.

Comment

I don't know all of the inside information as to why JS retained Coach Albright, either. As I stated in another thread, though, it seems obvious that this year's poor record is due to multiple factors: 1)Kiki (remember the All-Valley 1st team selection during preseason) was playing hurt all year and was NOT at her All-Valley potential. 2) Jacie Hoyt was out for most of the year with a broken ankle or foot. 3) Whitney Rice had medical problems last summer and was not in performance condition for the 1st 2/3 of the season. 4) The remainder of the team, while being apparently wonderful people and having strong athletic potential, clearly lacks LEADERSHIP qualities and CONFIDENCE. This is evidenced by the Jekyll and Hyde performances they have given. Beat league-leading Illinois State and then lose to a lesser team by a huge margin. Jekyll and Hyde performances are quite characteristic of teams with inadequate floor leadership and/or confidence. A poorly coached team cannot just rise to a high level on their own and come up with wins like the one over Illinois State. 5) The above-noted injuries/setbacks are possibly as significant as those sustained by Drake's team, and no one is surprised that Coach Stevens will be back at Drake.
                            In a nutshell, I am glad that JS is willing to give Coach Albright a chance to weather this "perfect storm" of events and "right the ship" so to speak.

Comment

Sounds like the buddy-buddy system to me.

I think Jane's had more than enough time and now it's year 4? and we're staring at a 9th place finish in the conference with a decent amount of talent wasted.

This might be one of JS's all-time biggest mistakes..
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                              X