Fall Softball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fall Softball

The Lady Shocks opened their fall softball season this past weekend (if you don't count the alumni game, and I don't) against Pittsburg State and Johnson County CC. There is still no report of the games on the Web site (not a good sign?).

I was able to watch only the Pittsburg State game which the Shocks lost, 2-0. We had about four hits with PSU getting probably three. But they managed to combine at least one hit and two errors and an out-less fielder's choice on our part to manufacture two runs in the fourth or fifth. I think only one of the runs was earned. Our performance in this half-inning earned the entire team including outfielders a visit with Coach B in the middle of the inning (the left fielder threw the ball home when no one was going there - a runner was advancing to second) and another team conference down the right field line after the half-inning was over. KA pitched the first five innings, taking the loss, and Hunter Stohlmeyer, the freshman from Iowa, finished up. KA looked about the same, but threw a lot of changes as they were clearly working on that pitch. Hunter appeared to have about the same speed as the now-departed Katherine but did a very nice job of keeping the ball out of the middle of the plate. Her motion is a bit different in that she appears to step toward third some and then throw across her body. I heard a parent say they were working on some part of her pitching and perhaps this is it. She also threw a number of changes, but that pitch is clearly a work-in-progress for her.

Layne opened the game by legging out a double to the "short gap" in left center. She was bunted to third and that was basically the extent of the offense threats for the Shocks. Kyndel Shelburn, a freshman from Campus HS, pitched the last three innings against the Shocks, giving up a couple of hits. Our patience at the plate and our pitch selection were dubious. One of the numerous newbies (see below), a DP who was hitting third I think, swung at the first pitch on all three at-bats.

There are eight new faces on the roster of eighteen, including four transfers from other D-I schools.

The best thing that can be said about the game I saw is that, "It's early."

This coming Saturday, the Shocks host Cowley County and Western Oklahoma CCs at 4pm and 6pm.

I went out and watched the evening game against Johnson County CC. I think the final was 5-0 with the Shocks banging out 11 hits. However, I'm not sure you can read too much into that as the JCCC pitching didn't appear to be that strong.

I thought Sloan was throwing a little harder than last year and she had a no-no through 4 innings. She gave up a little flair to left in the 5th. The big thing was she kept the ball in the park although again JCCC may not be a good barometer on how she will fare in the regular season. Hunter pitched the last 2 innings and I chatted with her Mom and Dad a little. Seem like very, very nice people and they said Hunter is very happy at Wichita State. Hunter is majoring in pre-vet. She has that little twisting motion she does before she delivers the pitch. I asked her Dad if she always did that or if that was something new. He said it was something new they were trying. Not really sure though what the objective is. Maybe just some kind of reminder or timing mechanism, I don't know. Hunter did get in a little jam in the 7th but a game ending DP on a pop up to 1st with the runners going took care of that and preserved the shutout. It will be interessting to see how Hunter develops.

At the plate Erin Carney, Melanie Jaegers, Danika Miller, Hayley Temple, Briane Bond, Melanie Jaegers and Brittany Fortner all had some good swings. Again not sure how much, if anything to read into that. No home runs but there were several frozen ropes and some nice back up the middle base hits. Not sure who was playing 3rd base. She wore #31 but there is no #31 on the roster. The transfer from OU, Ali Vandever, played shortstop. Defense was OK. Nothing spectacular but no blow-ups either.

We'll just have to see how it goes. The Ladies seemed in good spirits.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 1, 2012, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      ... as the JCCC pitching didn't appear to be that strong.
      Oh, we popped up the ball a lot against PSU. Maybe their rise balls were that good (I know Kyndel has one) or maybe it was the pitch selection issue or maybe both.

... and they said Hunter is very happy at Wichita State.
      The parents (of a newbie) I spoke to also said their daughter was quite happy here: likes the coaches, the team gets along with each other, etc.

At the plate Erin Carney, Melanie Jaegers, Danika Miller, Hayley Temple, Briane Bond, Melanie Jaegers and Brittany Fortner all had some good swings.
      Except for the addition of Briane, only a pinch-hitter in the first game, this sounds like the same bats I saw in the PSU game. I believe Brittany is the free-swinging lefty I referred to in the above post.

As noted, it is not easy to judge where you are when playing jucos except when playing Butler (October 10) and in some years, Cowley (October 6). So, to toughen up their fall schedule, this year the Shocks added a trip to Stillwater where they will play Tulsa and Oklahoma State.

Comment

Long, Brooks, Bohannan and Holt will all be playing Sunday afternoon at WSU. No idea on the time slot yet.

Comment

Any word on how we did today against the jucos?
          Too cold for me to get out.

Comment

Originally posted by Quick Pitch View Post
            Too cold for me to get out.
            Same here. I might have watched softball in the spring in yesterday's weather, but not anxious to do so in the fall.

But we do have this writeup from the web site - winning against Cowley and losing to Western Oklahoma. Not much on who pitched other than Katie going four innings against Cowley.

Comment

Those of you who missed the HS showcase on Sunday missed some good stuff on four girls who have accepted offers and a few more who have them.

Comment

Thanks, sounds good and Sunday was a gorgeous day. At least I was able to open my office window.

None of those commits were pitchers were they? We still really need to upgrade our pitching. Hopefully, that will be the next step.

Comment

Jenni Brooks from Olathe East is a pitcher.

Comment

Let's hope the girls win both against BCCC. They need to play tight defensive-reduce the errors-to keep BCCC from putting up runs. With pitching somewhat weak, defense is a must.
                    I am not much for the philosophy of trying to out hit an opponent, keeping in players that are not at their best positions. The outfield is the last line of defense: fastest girls in the outfield, to stop the gap shot and catch the long fly (which, if the ball hits the fence, most always leads to another base, and if not caught-a loss of an out), experience at the corners (know how to play the bunt, take away small ball), and a catcher who can block pitches. But, hey, we all tend to have different takes on the game. I am big on defense!
                    Again, best of luck to the ladies tonight.

Comment

Beautiful evening to watch softball tonight, so thought I would watch WSU and BCCC. If memory serves, there was a total of 12 strikeouts from Shocker batters. They hit better in the second game, but lost to BCCC. In both games BCCC recorded more hits, but WSU did manage to win the first game 2-1. In the second game, 5 errors by the Shockers, and I believe only 2 in first game. Lost second game 9-7. Really not a good performance by the Shockers. Better luck this weekend!

Comment

This is such a disappointing start to the year for Coach Bredbenner. I have been worried about
                        her ability to step up to the Division 1 world and now I am even more worried. It will surely
                        take more than luck to not be humiliated this weekend. In my opinion, it is humiliating
                        to have a 500 fall record, losing to a D-2 program and 2 junior college programs.
                        Just my opinion.
                        Last edited by Shock watch; October 11, 2012, 04:41 PM. Reason: spacing

Comment

Not too much to be ashamed about losing to Butler. They have 3 legitimate D1 pitchers as well as several D1 level position players. Most of the teams that we face during the season won't have 2 kids that throw mid to upper 60's.
                          As for the errors, once coach B puts her top 9 on the field and leaves them there, I look for the defense to clean up dramatically.
                          With that said, it would be nice if we could land one of those Butler pitchers.

Comment

Originally posted by Shock watch View Post
                            This is such a disappointing start to the year for Coach Bredbenner. I have been worried about
                            her ability to step up to the Division 1 world and now I am even more worried.
                            She lost (permanently) Sydney Steuver to a shoulder injury and that girl was a player! She lost (for one year? do not know the story there) Rachel Milnark who was a solid contributor last year. Will Laura Vickers or Ali Vandever or some freshmen/transfers help fill those holes?

But as has been noted often, the real issue is pitching. Based on the past, KA will probably have a solid, but not spectacular senior year. Hopefully Sloan will make some progress after adjusting to a new pitching coach. Hunter has to be developed, not refined. Jenni Brooks, mentioned by Hovpen, appears to be the #2 pitcher for the Peppers, who finished either (there are two Peppers teams) 4-2 (T9) or 2-2 (T33) at ASA Gold Nationals. Hopefully, Jenni only has to be refined, not developed. Because pitching is so key to the success of a softball program, it takes more time to know if a coach is moving things in the right direction. But hope springs eternal.

Comment

Yes. However, WSU is a D-1 program and has 18 D-1 players v Butler.

Comment

Working...
                              X