• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just pulled the game up. Leading 12-9 after 1
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Watching with no sound here (by choice). I like the energy the team is playing with so far.

I LOVE the look into the post, setting your butt down there and rolling to the glass. That kind of play scratches me right where I itch. Excellent coaching Terry Nooner!

23-11 after a nice run of pressure and paint touches that led to easy baskets for the Shocks.

Comment

Not a perfect half by any means, but plenty of good things on which to build.

Shocks had a chance after a great double team in the half court and a steal to push the lead to 15+ at one point midway through the quarter but didn't make one more pass and ended up giving up a transition bucket the other way. The game could have gotten out of hand had they converted.

Nevertheless, 31-17 lead and plenty of things to clean up. And VERY watchable imho.

I like the way #4 moves her feet. Shows an understanding of athletic ability, something not always seen in the women's game.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
          I like the way #4 moves her feet. Shows an understanding of athletic ability, something not always seen in the women's game.
          That would be R-So. Jayla Murray. I liked what I saw of Jayla against Oklahoma. Moves well despite having a heavily braced knee due to previous injury, handles the ball pretty well. Looks like she will be a nice player for the Shocks if that knee holds up.

https://goshockers.com/sports/womens...la-murray/7622

Comment

Not that I really care, but I was checking on KState (for comparison) and I just kind of backed into it. Where is OU ranked #23? Not on the NCAA rankings unless I'm blind (in fact, I see 5 other B12 schools, Texas, Baylor, KState, KU and Iowa State getting votes and not OU). Ou was listed preseason #4 in the B12, that's what prompted my search/inquiry.

Comment

Just realized Denning is doing the game. Definitely makes it worth the listen, even with the nails across the blackboard background.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                Not that I really care, but I was checking on KState (for comparison) and I just kind of backed into it. Where is OU ranked #23? Not on the NCAA rankings unless I'm blind (in fact, I see 5 other B12 schools, Texas, Baylor, KState, KU and Iowa State getting votes and not OU). Ou was listed preseason #4 in the B12, that's what prompted my search/inquiry.
                I noticed that as well. Perhaps was a final ranking from last year? Not sure where WSU game up with that.

Comment

I honestly haven't noticed the kids all that much. Sadly, I've been listening more than watching
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                    I honestly haven't noticed the kids all that much. Sadly, I've been listening more than watching
                    I did read (right or wrong) that this is more middle school than elementary school attendance which helps with the screeching.

Comment

Is Presbyterian pretty passive on defense? I noticed the Shocks only have 5 turnovers mid-way through the 3rd quarter.

Comment

The perimeter shooting is nothing to write home about in this game. The Shocks are 1-11 and Presbyterian is 1-17. Doesn't look like perimeter shooting will be a strength of this team. Could be a problem against bigger and better teams considering the Shocks are somewhat undersized in the front court.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                          Is Presbyterian pretty passive on defense? I noticed the Shocks only have 5 turnovers mid-way through the 3rd quarter.
                          They have not yet extended their defense much at all. Even down 18-20 most of the 3rd quarter they seem determined to mostly sit back in the paint. I thought our ladies did a decent job of transition baskets in the first half, so I can see why PC doesn't want to get into a full court game with WSU, but at some point you need to at least try to extend the D.

Through 3 quarters, turnovers are the difference. Shocks with 19 points off 13 turnovers and PC with 3 off 7 Shocker turnovers.

Comment

Final: Shocks 60 - Presbyterian 41

Congratulations to Coach Nooner on his first ever win as a D-1 head coach.

This was a game the Shocks should win by 20.

I found it somewhat interesting that only 10 of the 15 players on the roster played in a game that was well in hand at the end. I think Sierra Morrow has to sit out this year as a 2-time D-I transfer. My guess is they are wanting to redshirt 6-4 freshman post, Sophia Concalves. I mentioned at the time of her signing she looked like a project.

Not sure why Sr. Aniya Bell, R-So. Carla Budane and So. D-II transfer Jordan Jackson wouldn't get a minute or two of mop-up time at the end of the game.

Presbyterian, along with Omaha and Houston Christian are probably the weakest teams on the Shocks non-con schedule with OU and KU the two best teams on the schedule.

We should get a better read for where this team really is next Wednesday in Nashville against Belmont, picked to finish 4th in the MVC this year. Belmont will probably be the favorite in this game but if the Shocks play well they probably have a shot in this game.

At this point I see the Shocks going 6-6 (at best) in non-con play versus a somewhat tougher schedule than last year's non-con schedule with a SOS ranking of #317.
                            Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 8, 2023, 01:55 PM.

Comment

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Watched a replay of the Presbyterian game tonight. Pretty ugly shooting by both teams and not just on 3 pointers.

My observation aboug DJ McCarty not being at full speed was accurate. She has been a warrior in these first 2 games as she has basically been playing on 1.5 legs. She wasn't a big factor in scoring with 7 points but somehow managed to grab 8 rebounds, hand out a couple of assists and make 3 steals. Unfortunately, she left the game limping pretty good with 6:30 left and the Shock up by 22 points. Hopefully, she did not aggravate that knee too much. Glad the Shocks have a week before taking on Belmont. Hopefully, DJ will get to focus primarily on rehabbing that knee with whatever help the training staff can give her. I feel bad for DJ as she has been injury prone as a Shocker. Was hoping she could at least finish of her Shocker career with one relatively injury free season but that is already out the window.

I thought Jeniah Thompson actually had one of her better games as a Shocker. She did not score much and was only 1-6 from the field and 2-4 from the line for 4 points but she led the Shocks in rebounding (9), and assists (4) plus had 1 steal. Her only really bad play was a lazy pass in the backcourt that handed Presbyterian 2 points but that was her only turnover. She played 23 minutes. The Shocks may need to rely more on Jeniah until DJ can get healthy.

I have been pretty disappointed in Ornella Niankan. She is a tweener with no natural postion. Including the Missouri Southern State exhibition game Ornella is 2-15 (0-3) from the field and 3-6 from the free throw line plus 10 rebounds in 3 games. I would liek to see Coach Nooner give Ambah Kowcun more minutes and Ornella less minutes moving forward. Ambah was the Shocks best 3 point shooter on the season last year. I doubt that is going to happen though. Too bad Sierra Morrow has to sit out this year. She might have been a good option for some of these minutes.

As long as DJ is physically limited and if Ornella (or Ambah) are unable to provide productive minutes at the 3 I think this Shocker team will find it tough sleddding. This is really not a very deep team at least when it comes to quality depth.

Comment

Working...
                                X