Clear All

• WBB: 2023-24 Non-Conference Games

WBB Preview: at Oklahoma (Nov. 6)

WICHITA STATE at #23 OKLAHOMA Monday, Nov. 6 | Noon CT
    Norman, Okla. | Lloyd Noble Center

TV: ESPN+ (Chad McKee and Dan Hughes)
    Radio: KFH 97.5 FM/1240 AM with Steve Strain

SCOUTING THE SOONERS
    No. 23 Oklahoma is coming off a 113-38 exhibition win over West Texas A&M after a 26-7 season in 2022-23, in which the Sooners made it to the second round of the NCAA Tournament, where the fell to No. 4-seed UCLA. Oklahoma was led by two newcomers, 5-7 Lexy Keys (Sr.), a transfer from Oklahoma State, and 5-10 Sahara Williams (Fr.), who put up 23 and 20 points, respectively.

The Sooners return their leading rebounders, 6-0 Sr. Skylar Vann, who was named to the Cheryl Miller Award Watch List, as well as 6-2 R-Sr. Liz Scott, who was named to the Lisa Leslie Award Watch List. Vann averaged 11.5 points and 6.9 rebounds per game, and Scott averaged 8.6 points and 6.2 rebounds per game a season ago.

Oklahoma lost its 2022-23 leading scoring Madi Williams, along with their second-highest point scorer, Ana Llanusa.

I guess this game is at noon since the OU men also open their season at home this evening.

I think a successful result for the Shocks would be keeping this game within 25 points.

The Shocks final game of last year was 56-90 loss to K-State in the WNIT in a game that was not nearly as close as the score indicates.

Shocks up 38-34 at half over Oklahoma.

Comment

Shocks doing much, much better than I anticipated leading OU 38-34 at the half. DJ McCarty and Tre'zure Jobe have carried the Shocks so far scoring 16 and 12 points respectively with Salese Blow (4), Jayla Murray (3) and Dani Abies (3) accounting for the remaining 10 Shocker points.

Sierra Murray, who missed the exhibition game, is apparently still not available.

My guess is that OU will try to make some halftime adjustments in an effort to rein in DJ and Tre'zure in the 2nd half. We'll see how it goes, but so far more than so good. I am thinking a few other players will need to step up in the 2nd half for the Shocks to continue to hang in there.

OU turned it over 17 times in the 1st half to 9 times for the Shocks. Hard to imagine that continuing.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 6, 2023, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Second half not going well. OU on a 9-0 run, seven of those from Peyton Verhulst.

I didn't realize she transferred mid-season last year from Louisville to OU. I believe she was the Kansas POY a couple years ago. Her mom was a classmate of mine.

Comment

Now a 14-2 run. Ugh.

Comment

28-9. Ugly.

Comment

I just pulled it up on my phone to check out only to hear that OU was down 4 to start the 2nd half and begin the 4th quarter with a 20 point lead.

What the hell happened that made it go that bad, that quick?
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                I just pulled it up on my phone to check out only to hear that OU was down 4 to start the 2nd half and begin the 4th quarter with a 20 point lead.

What the hell happened that made it go that bad, that quick?
                Not watching, but from the looks of the stats OU was successful in doing what I though they would try to do. The have shut down DJ and Tre'zure with one else able to really step up and they have cut way down on their turnovers.

I plan on watching a replay of the game at some point.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 6, 2023, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Final Score OU 92 - WSU 68.

According to my pre-game statement I guess I consider this a successful debut for Coach Nooner. Tough way to start the season playing a top 25 team on the road with team mostly untested at the D-1 level outside of DJ McCarty. Actually, the Shocks played OU even in the 1st, 2nd and 4th quarters and OU didn't actually call off the dogs as the had one of their starters plus their leading scorer for the game on the floor until the final buzzer.

I guess the Shocks were just not prepared whatever OU threw at them to start the 2nd half. Hopefully, that will prove to be a good learning experience for this team, including the coaching staff.

OU was successful in controlling DJ and Tre-zure who only managed 7 points in the 2nd half after combing for 28 points in the first half. Also after 17 turnovers in the first half OU only turned it over 9 times in the 2nd half. Where OU really dominated throughout the game was on the boards outrebounding the Shocks 22-13 in the first half and 28-16 in the 2nd half. This is where the shocks are paying for the graduation of Trajata Colbert and the transfer of Jane Asinde.

Another big difference in this game was OU had 20 assists on 35 baskets (57.1) while the Shocks only had 7 assists on 25 baskets (28%).

Salese Blow ended up with 9 points. Not a bad debut for the freshman against this level of competition.

Raissa Nsabua came of the bench to score 7 points in 10 minutes of play in the send half on 3-4 from the field.

The Shocks front court players Dani Abies, Ella Anciaux, Jayla Murray and Ornella Niankan were a combined 4-15 from the field with 11 rebounds. Ornella only played 5 minutes so I am wondering if she was injured in the game. Sierra Morrow is already sidelined.

OU, along with KU towards the end of the non-con schedule, are the toughest teams the Shocks will face in the non-con.

As of this moment WarrenNolan.com has the Shocker non-con SOS rank at #1. Of course, very few games on the books at this point.,
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 6, 2023, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Niankan not hurt. Started the game picked up 2 fouls in the first 2 minutes. Played about a minute in the 2nd quarter. Came out after a turnover. Started the 3rd quarter picked up 2 fouls in the first 1:10 and went back to the bench. Returned to the game with 2:12 left in the 3rd quarter and picked up her 5th foul (a questionable call) about a minute later.

DJ had the best game scoring 19 points on 5-11 (2-5) from the field and and 7-8 from the line. While Tre'zure had 16 points I thought she forced things a bit too much. Those 16 points came on 7-21 (2-6) from the field. DJ and Tre'zure combined for 6 turnovers but only 1 assist. Neither DJ nor Tre-zure scored in the final 13 minutes. Looked like the legs may have been gone. Speaking of legs DJ had her left knee heavily wrapped and did not look to me like she was operating at 100%. Seemed to have hitch in her giddy-up. If DJ has had an issue during her career is that she is oft injured.

Salese might have been a little overwhelmed in the first half but looked better in the 2nd half. I think she will be a player.

I don't think Ella will provide much help to the Shocks inside. She simply does not have the athleticism. Her primary role when she is in the game is as a screener. Sophia Goncalves, the 6-4 freshman, who seems to be a bit of a project did not play. Could be HCTN wants to redshirt her.

Daniela Abies looks like she has slimmed down a little bit and is quicker than last year. Jayla Murray has some skills. But between Dani and Jayla the Shocks are undersized in the frontcourt.

The OU announcers on the ESPN+ broadcast said something about the Shocks were still waiting on a ruling by the NCAA as to if and when Sierra Morrow might be able to play. She has been a basketball; nomad. Playing 1 year at North Iowa CC, 1 year at Seward County CC (Covid Year), 1 year at Bradley and 1 year at Miami (OH) before transferring to Wichita State after a coaching change at Miami. She played in and started 29 games at Miami.. Not sure what basis she would have for a waiver but sounds like the chances of that being granted are very slim.

I did not think the Shocks generated much out of their offense as 7 assists on 25 baskets might indicate.

We'll see where this team is after the non-con.

Comment

WBB Preview: vs. Presbyterian (Nov. 8)

WICHITA STATE vs. PRESBYTERIAN
                      Wednesday, Nov. 8 | 11 a.m. CT
                      Wichita, Kan. | Charles Koch Arena

TV: ESPN+ (Tracy Anderson and Denning Gerig)
                      Radio: GoShockers.com/Listen with Steve Strain

SCOUTING THE BLUE HOSE

Presbyterian finished 13-17 overall last year and 9-9 in the Big South. They are picked by the league coaches to finish 2nd in the Big South this year.

Presbyterian is coming off a 69-35 loss to Kansas State in which the team shot just 29.8% from the field.

Presbyterian College women's basketball players Bryanna Brady, a 6th year 6-3 center, and Tilda Sjökvist, a 5-7 sophomore guard from Sweden, were voted onto the preseason All-Big South firsst and second teams, respectively.

I wonder if it is a challenge to recruit young women to a team named the the Blue Hose.
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 8, 2023, 12:57 PM.

Comment

They're all about playing early games
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

The Blue Who?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                            The Blue Who?!?!
                            The Blue Hoes, er, I mean Hose.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                              They're all about playing early games
                              This is the annual Schoolhouse Screechfest game where they bus in 7 to 8 thousand elementary school kids for some reason. Unless your a person who loves 2-hour sessions of fingernails on a blackboard you probably will want to avoid attending this game regardless of the time of day.

Comment

Working...
                              X