Wichita State Athletics Adds Women's Bowling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

If that is the case why are they only adding the women's team and not he men's team. Smells like a Title IX move to me. One that doesn't carry a lot of additional expense since it is an already existing program. Hopefully, the current funding sources can be diverted to the athletic department as well.
    NCAA doesn’t have men’s bowling.

Comment

Originally posted by mattdalt View Post

We'd get a trophy EVERY year!
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

If that is the case why are they only adding the women's team and not he men's team. Smells like a Title IX move to me. One that doesn't carry a lot of additional expense since it is an already existing program. Hopefully, the current funding sources can be diverted to the athletic department as well.
        Erased my post. Didn't see mattdalt 's post.

Comment

So women's bowling and soccer is coming. I smell football :)

Just add crew and swimming/diving and we're moving in the right direction.

I will forever dream of caring about college football.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by mattdalt View Post

Thanks for that info. Doesn't necessarily rule out Title IX considerations but certainly explains why they didn't move the men's team as well. What it does seem to indicate though is the NCAA women's bowling exist primarily as a means of helping out the football schools in meeting their Title IX obligations. Joining Equestrian, Field Hockey and Rowing.

Doesn't WSU have a decent women's rowing club as well. Although no where near the national notoriety of the bowling team.

Just listened to the podcast interview of Coach Holly Harris.

Coach Holly Harris seems genuinely excited about the move. She has 5 scholarships to divide up. Not sure how much that will impact recruiting or how the Shockers attract student athletes but sounds like it will help. She said they will likely not have tryouts anymore. Seemed to indicate that the better players have gravitated to the NCAA in the past decade.

Might be a good time to set up the Kung Wu MBB vs WBT Bowl-off to raise some funds.

It will be interesting to see how this transition works out. Sounds like it might be little tougher to dominate if the higher caliber players are going

Nebraska, Vanderbilt, Jacksonville State, Sam Houston State and Stephen F. Austin are among the strongest programs in the NCAA.

One thing that will be different is the Men and Women will not be traveling together.

Independent Varsity Sport, not a club. Full-time paid coaches supported by the RSC and WSU and do some of their own fund raising. The WSU Bowling program was a combined men's and women's program. Apparently, the rowing team is set up similarly. Coach Harris said it was kind of in-between the NCAA programs and the club programs. BTW, NCAA Rowing programs have a 20 equivalency scholarship limit, so no doubt popular with schools that have football. I think that is the highest limit in NCAA Women's sports. Might work against adding it to the NCAA fold.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 8, 2023, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Yes! I am so pumped about this and it's been a long time coming. We are going to be a force in this sport and an annual contender at the NCAA tournament.

Has anyone read what the funding model is for this and how we compare to other NCAA bowling schools? Up next...Women's Soccer.

Comment

I had a boss whose daughter ended up rowing at KSU. He'd said that WSU would be at some of the same events and performed well. This was 10 or so years ago, but they were respectable all things considered.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Speaking of rowing, I was in Lancaster PA for work about 10 years ago and went to the Y to play ball wearing a WSU shirt. The guy at the front desk recognized my shirt and had a connection to the rowing coach at WSU. The coach was previously in the PA area or something along those lines. He raved about how good the coach was. It really seems like a small world at times.
                  Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                    So women's bowling and soccer is coming. I smell football :)

Just add crew and swimming/diving and we're moving in the right direction.

I will forever dream of caring about college football.
                    Still would be way short. Total for bowling, soccer, crew, swimming would be 53 scholarships.

Is women’s flag football still being push as a potential ncaa sport?

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                      I had a boss whose daughter ended up rowing at KSU. He'd said that WSU would be at some of the same events and performed well. This was 10 or so years ago, but they were respectable all things considered.
                      Rowing makes a ton of sense to me. Although I could be ignorant of what would be required from switching from club to ncaa. That would be another 20 scholarships on the women’s side of the ledger.

Looks like they already have a facility. Again though I don’t know what’s adequate/required for NCAA.

Oct. 14, 2019 - River Vista Boathouse is one-year-old and Wichita State rowing is enjoying benefits of its new home with current students and recruits.

Comment

Originally posted by Shoxing Me Softly View Post

Rowing makes a ton of sense to me. Although I could be ignorant of what would be required from switching from club to ncaa. That would be another 20 scholarships on the women’s side of the ledger.
                        You answered your own question: 20 scholarships for a sport that has no chance of generating revenue.

Comment

I wonder what a fund raising event for this would look like?

I assume they could find someone to put out a pizza, wings and cigarettes buffet. Perhaps a 42 topping potato bar?

Odor Eaters maybe the title sponsor?

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                            I wonder what a fund raising event for this would look like?

I assume they could find someone to put out a pizza, wings and cigarettes buffet. Perhaps a 42 topping potato bar?

Odor Eaters maybe the title sponsor?
                            I'll work the arcade!

Comment

Originally posted by Shoxing Me Softly View Post

Still would be way short. Total for bowling, soccer, crew, swimming would be 53 scholarships.

Is women’s flag football still being push as a potential ncaa sport?
                              I don't see how that would be way short? We already have a surplus of women's athletic scholarships don't we? And there is no rule the scholarship situation has to be 1:1 with men's.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

I don't see how that would be way short? We already have a surplus of women's athletic scholarships don't we? And there is no rule the scholarship situation has to be 1:1 with men's.
                                No it has to be close to student body ratio. Which due to more young men choosing to not go to college is increasing. Think WSU is roughly 56-44 women to men. That’s why bowling and eventually women’s soccer will help get WSU back to ratio it should be at. Or at least that’s my understanding, not sure what current scholarship ratio is.

My quote was in reference to someone posting about enough women’s sports for football. I was simply pointing out all of those sports he listed wouldn’t even cover the scholarships added by men’s football.

Comment

Working...
                                X