Wichita State Athletics Adds Women's Bowling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wichita State Athletics Adds Women's Bowling

Wichita State Athletics announced plans to add women's bowling as a NCAA Division I sport competing in 2024-25. Women's bowling will become the 16th sport at Wichita State, launching July 1, 2024. Current women's bowling coach Holly Harris will serve as the program's first NCAA Division I women's head coach.

Wichita State Athletics announced plans to add women's bowling as a NCAA Division I sport competing in 2024-25. Women's bowling will become the 16th sport at Wichita State, launching July 1, 2024. Current women's bowling coach Holly Harris will serve as the program's first NCAA Division I women's head coach.

Not sure if this is a Title IX driven move or not. But it is interesting that the Men's bowling team has not made this move.

Has NCAA bowling gotten better? I know one of the reasons they avoided it earlier was because the competition level was better where they were.

I also acknowledge that they weren't allowed to accept prize money for tournaments if they were in the NCAA, but now with NIL and whatnot that may no longer be an issue. Not entirely sure. I know it was said that not collecting prize money would hurt recruiting back then.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
      Has NCAA bowling gotten better? I know one of the reasons they avoided it earlier was because the competition level was better where they were.

I also acknowledge that they weren't allowed to accept prize money for tournaments if they were in the NCAA, but now with NIL and whatnot that may no longer be an issue. Not entirely sure. I know it was said that not collecting prize money would hurt recruiting back then.
      I think your second point is the key driver here. That was my understanding as well. If it was an NCAA sport under the former amateur model, then the USBC was a better deal. With NIL being a thing in NCAA land, that apparently makes it better. Perhaps the backing of the athletics department will open up some more resource/revenue opportunities for the bowling program.

78-65

Comment

RH: Podcast With Holly Harris On Shocker Bowling

Coach Holly Harris explains why this is the right time for this change and how NCAA bowling operates. She talks recruiting as an NCAA school, why the Shockers expect to remain one of the nation's top programs and how NCAA post-season play works.

Comment

Me thinks we're going to get some more NCAA nattys. Per the article, the NCAAs are a combined all divisions, with a total of about 100 schools in Women's Bowling.
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Am I going to have to change my Twitter to We're a bowling school now?
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Was bowling like, a club before this? I know we had/used to have a wrestling "club", I'm assuming it was similar?

Comment

Originally posted by shocker43 View Post
                Was bowling like, a club before this? I know we had/used to have a wrestling "club", I'm assuming it was similar?
                Yes, it was a club sport.
                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

It seems like I remember that the official term was “independent varsity sport” as opposed to club sport.

But you know. PoTAYto, PoTAHto.
                  78-65

Comment

Does anyone actually say PoTAHto?
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Thanks goodness it’s bowling and not soccer!

Comment

Originally posted by DwShock View Post
                        Thanks goodness it’s bowling and not soccer!
                        You're going to get banned with that attitude
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
                          Me thinks we're going to get some more NCAA nattys. Per the article, the NCAAs are a combined all divisions, with a total of about 100 schools in Women's Bowling.
                          Kind of seems like that might have been the purpose.....to help meet already existing goals?

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                            Does anyone actually say PoTAHto?
                            Probably only people who say ToMAHto.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Kind of seems like that might have been the purpose.....to help meet already existing goals?
                              If that is the case why are they only adding the women's team and not he men's team. Smells like a Title IX move to me. One that doesn't carry a lot of additional expense since it is an already existing program. Hopefully, the current funding sources can be diverted to the athletic department as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X