2023-24 Shocker Women's XC and Track & Field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Not there for Destiny today in the long jump. Hopefully, that's not a harbinger of the what's to come but that probably has elimimated any chance she has at a top 8 finish.

Not able to watch so can't tell how she is looking physically. Are you watching?
    No. Actually not sure where it is. Looked yesterday but not today. If it is on the Plus, I am out of luck. But I wondered about the physical part too - some tweak from yesterday.

Comment

• Hept Javelin starts at 145 pm CT. Not much of a break after the Long Jump.

Destiny's SB is 47.46m, but as noted, that is a wind-aided distance.

Comment

• BTW, the men's decathlon Texas' Leo Neugebauer, a native of Germany, set a new NCAA record wth a huge score of 8,961 points. I assume he will be representing Germany in the Olympics. The world record is 9,126 points.

Comment

• Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post

No. Actually not sure where it is. Looked yesterday but not today. If it is on the Plus, I am out of luck. But I wondered about the physical part too - some tweak from yesterday.
          I think it is on ESPN today, which I don't have access to.

Destiny falls to 10th place after the long jump.

Comment

• I am hoping Destiny can hold on to a top 16 finish. Assuming she is physically sound I think she will. Also I would like to see her finish ahead of Rice's Eliza Kraule who has had Destiny's number this year in the AAC.

One challenge Destiny is facing is that she is in the open high jump in between the heptathlon javelin and 800.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

I think it is on ESPN today, which I don't have access to.
              ESPN3 says the Hept events are on the Plus as is the High Jump. Later today, "Women's Day 2" is on ESPN.

Comment

ESPN3 says the Hept events are on the Plus as is the High Jump. Later today, "Women's Day 2" is on ESPN.
                Okay. Thanks.

Comment

• Destiny's first throw in the Hept Javelin is 36.33m. She is one of the early throwers, so it is too early to see how that compares with the field.

EDIT: 5th in her flight of 12. Other flight has not started throwing. Perhaps this entire flight throws first. Then Destiny and Hufnagel (the winner of the Helpt High Jump) can head to the High Jump?

38.44m on her second throw. The last throw is a slight bump to 38.46m which garners 638 points. That is still fifth in this flight. The first four are all over 42m.
                  Last edited by flyingMoose; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

• Destiny's first throw was 36.33m/119-2. She looks sound. Was weaing a lower body leotard and wearing a back brace in the javelin. That first how land just inside the left boundary line.

Comment

• Looks like the are conducting the javelin in 2 fligthts with Destiny in flight 1.

Comment

EDIT: 5th in her flight of 12. Other flight has not started throwing. Perhaps this entire flight throws first. Then Destiny and Hufnagel (the winner of the Helpt High Jump) can head to the High Jump?
                        Maybe, but I think the more likely reason is they don't want the athletes to have too long of a wait between throws. Now they may have put Destiny and Hufnagel in flight 1 due to them competing in the high jump.

Comment

• Oregon facilities are the best but the attendance has been sparse, even during the men’s events last night.
                          Last edited by shoxlax; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                            Masters hits 126-2 on her final throw and current sits in 5th place in her flight.
                            She didn't look all that happy with her performance as she walked off the runway as she undid her back brace and just dropped it as she walked away. I can't say for sure but her back may have tightened up on her overnight although she doesn't appear to be moving too badly or with much distress.

Comment

Maybe, but I think the more likely reason is they don't want the athletes to have too long of a wait between throws. Now they may have put Destiny and Hufnagel in flight 1 due to them competing in the high jump.
                              I think this is the first event to entirely separate the flights. Was the Shot Put split the same way? The High Jump? I don't think so. This may be a facilities issue also.

Comment

I think this is the first event to entirely separate the flights. Was the Shot Put split the same way? The High Jump? I don't think so. This may be a facilities issue also.
                                The open javelin for the men on Wednesday and for the women on Thursday were both conducted in 2 flights. A number of years back I remember reading an article that the javelin has the highest rate of injuries of all the track and field events. So I am thinking they don't want these competitors to get too cold between throws. But I don't know for sure that is why the split up the javelin. Although I'm sure they took the open high jump into account in placing Destiny and Hufnagel in flight number 1.

Comment

Working...
                                X