2023-24 Shocker Women's XC and Track & Field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    She ran a GREAT 200. Ok turn but she was flying at the end and almost got up to win her heat.
    Unfortunately, her time was only 18th of the 24 which means lots of the ladies picked up points on her. Her heat was easily the slowest of the three.

Comment

• Destiny has more than few clutch 3rd attempt clearances in the high jump in her career.

I guess the coaches aren't allowed on the infield during competition.

Comment

• Excited to watch the final 3 events today for Destiny in the Hept. Maybe 1972Shocker can provide some detail or depth to this discussion, but in the JT, Destiny popped a huge 47+ meter throw earlier this season that appears to be a big outlier. A repeat of that throw would likely be a top 3 or better effort today and keep Destiny in the top 8 discussion.

I suppose it could have been a huge wind aided effort, but I have no idea how much wind helps the JT. There seems to be about a 175 point difference between what looks like an average effort of around 38 meters and the 47 meter bomb in the spring.

16 of the 24 athletes have jumped over 6 meters in the LJ and Destiny's best this season is 5.91. If she can get close to her PB of 6.07 that will help, but she's going to lose ground in this event.

The big PB in the 200 might signal not only good form but improved speed, something that could help her here but the LJ is the easiest, imho, to screw up and fault. Very technical. Ideally, a safe first jump of say, 19'6" would allow her to throw caution to the wind on the next 2 jumps and really pop a good one.

The 800 is probably her weakest event and she'll lose ground here. But she has gotten better this season, although her AAC effort outdoors was not her best by any measure. Perhaps if she's in a position to score it will give her the extra motivation to be closer to the 2:25 indoor effort than the 2:39 outdoor one. The javelin throw will likely determine that.

Comment

• Something around 5900 might be good enough for top 8 (obviously lots of variables) but that would seem like at least a possible number.

19'7" in the LJ, 44 meters in the javelin and 2:30 in the 800, I THINK, would get her around 5900.

Comment

Excited to watch the final 3 events today for Destiny in the Hept. Maybe 1972Shocker can provide some detail or depth to this discussion.
            I posted some thoughts last nlight. See post number 133 above.

Seems appropriate to me that Destiny is the last Shocker athlete still competing for the 2023-24 year. I hope she has a great Satruday afternoon to cap of fthe year in Shocker sports.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

• What's going on with the links? lol

Comment

• I have no idea. I changed it from using # to typing out number.

Comment

• Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post

Unfortunately, her time was only 18th of the 24 which means lots of the ladies picked up points on her. Her heat was easily the slowest of the three.
                  Spot on, but as 1972Shocker pointed out, that time lowed her PB almost .4 of a second. In a race as short as the 200, that's significant.

I'm hopeful the newly discovered speed/strength turns into a 6+ meter LJ and 45+ meter JT.

But as Mae told us, it's the hope that kills you.

Comment

Something around 5900 might be good enough for top 8 (obviously lots of variables) but that would seem like at least a possible number.

19'7" in the LJ, 44 meters in the javelin and 2:30 in the 800, I THINK, would get her around 5900.
                    Those marks (using 5.97m in the long jump) would put her at 5,875points.

I think those are acheivable. Far from a slam dunk but doable.

Here is a link to a multi-event calculator if you want to play with the numbers: https://twitter.com/goshockerswglf/s...53652315132096

Plugging in Destiny's PR's into the calculator (6.07 in the LJ, 47.46m in the JT, and 2:27.47 in the 800) would yield a total score of 6,005 points.

Not likely, OTOH Destiny appears to be operating at full strength and top condition so far. Would that not be a glorious way for Destiny to close out the year? That is kind of dreaming. I would take the number's WuDrWu suggested right now and call it good.

In any case, I'm thinking the adrenalin will be pumping at a high rate for Destiny this afternoon. That can be good or bad I guess. Don't want to be overpumped.

Comment

• The Hept Long Jump is underway. The SB for Destiny is 5.91m.

The first attempt is 5.32m. :( Maybe this is the "make sure I get a mark" attempt.
                      Last edited by flyingMoose; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

The Hept Long Jump is underway. The SB for Destiny is 5.91m.

The first attempt is 5.32m. :( Maybe this is the "make sure I get a mark" attempt.
                        Generally her strongest event of day 2 so she really needs to get a decent mark in this event.

Comment

• Unsurprisingly, she is 21 of 23 with one foul and a DNS dropping the competitors to 23.

A 5.61m on the second attempt. Better, but ...

Comment

Unsurprisingly, she is 21 of 23 with one foul and a DNS dropping the competitors to 23.

A 5.61m on the second attempt. Better, but ...
                            Need some final attempt magic.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Need some final attempt magic.
                              5,63 for 738. Her 4336 is 10th overall.
                              Last edited by flyingMoose; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

5,63 for 738.
                                Not there for Destiny today in the long jump. Hopefully, that's not a harbinger of the what's to come but that probably has elimimated any chance she has at a top 8 finish.

Not able to watch so can't tell how she is looking physically. Are you watching?

Comment

Working...
                                X