WBB: 2023 offseason news/updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RH: "She (Tre'Zure Jobe) Plays At Her Own Pace"

"We want to make sure that we do the best job we can to try to keep the kids who want to stay home, stay home," Nooner said. "She's a local legend. They love her on the court. They love her off the court."

Women's coach Terry Nooner expects fans will get at least a taste of Jobe's many skills in advance of a Nov. 1 exhibition game vs. Missouri Southern. The first item on display will likely be her ability to score in the lane, from medium distance and from behind the three-point line."

"She's an elite point guard," Nooner said. "She plays at her own pace. A complete offensive juggernaut, which is why I think so many people were vying to get her."

Jobe settled on Wichita State over Missouri for many reasons.

The lure of playing at home and setting an example intrigued her. She majored in business management at Emporia State and started her MBA. Transferring to Wichita State allowed her to finish that MBA this spring with an eye on working in human resources.

Playing for Scales and finishing her career with the coach who helped at the start seemed logical and comfortable. He started coaching Jobe as a 4-year-old playing on a 5-year-old team and quickly learned she took basketball seriously. He credits her parents with raising a student who set goals and helping her with basketball trainers.

Nooner's personality and attentiveness completed the package.

Nooner envisions Jobe playing with returner DJ McCarty to give the Shockers two strong ball-handlers at guard. She is working on extending the range on her jump shot, which Nooner feels is crucial to opening space for other Shockers. Over the summer, Nooner often finished practice by rebounding and passing to Jobe as she worked on shooting two or three steps behind the three-point line.

Comment

RH: Podcast with DJ McCarty, Tre'Zure Jobe on Shocker Basketball

https://goshockers.com/news/2023/10/...asketball.aspx

Wichita State seniors DJ McCarty and Tre’Zure Jobe update us on Shocker Madness, what it’s like playing for coach Terry Nooner and why McCarty welcomed a competitor at guard to the team. We discuss the “Easy Run,” which – spoiler alert – isn’t easy, why McCarty stayed at Wichita State and we try to convince her to remain in Wichita after graduation.

Comment

Low expectations by the AAC Coaches (or whoever actually does this voting).

Shocker WBB Slated 11th in AAC Preseason Coaches Poll

American Athletic Conference Preseason Coaches Poll
        First-place votes in parentheses
        1. South Florida (10) 166
        2. East Carolina (4) 159
        3. Rice 135
        4. SMU 118
        5. Memphis 115
        6. Tulane 110
        7. Tulsa 104
        8. UTSA 75
        9. Temple 72
        10. Charlotte 62
        11. Wichita State 53
        12. North Texas 47
        13. UAB 30
        14. Florida Atlantic 28
        No reason to expect anything more than that based on what we lost from last year's team and with a coaching change.

On the bright side the bar is set pretty low for Coach Nooner and staff. Of the new trifecta of coaching staffs brought in the WBB staff is the one have the most concerns about. Pretty inexperienced. So it will be interesting to see if they can outperform these low expectations.

Comment

I think it's reasonable to have low expectations this year and Nooner will deserve a few years to get things moving. We'll just need to wait and see if we can see some progress throughout the season and see if we can build something. It will also be interesting to keep tabs on recruiting as he begins to shape the program in his image. I'm hoping the inexperience will be countered with youth and exuberance that plays with recruits and we see movement. If we're not in the top half by 25-26, I'd start to be concerned. Right now, it appears that the league sees quite a gap between 7 and 8.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
            I think it's reasonable to have low expectations this year and Nooner will deserve a few years to get things moving. We'll just need to wait and see if we can see some progress throughout the season and see if we can build something. It will also be interesting to keep tabs on recruiting as he begins to shape the program in his image. I'm hoping the inexperience will be countered with youth and exuberance that plays with recruits and we see movement. If we're not in the top half by 25-26, I'd start to be concerned. Right now, it appears that the league sees quite a gap between 7 and 8.
            Just to be clear, the inexperience I was referring to was that of the coaching staff. However, there is not a lot of D-1 playing experience among the players either despite this team having 6 seniors and 3 juniors on the roster this season. So the next two recruiting classes are probably going to be key. I am not sure that expecting a top half finished by 25-26 isn't a bit optimistic. Hopefully, we will see signs of slow, but steady progress as Coach Nooner navigates through the next 3 seasons (including this season) and we ready to breakout in 26-27.

I wasn't too impressed with the final 2 signings for the 2023-24 season. But with a roster of 15 I suppose you have the luxury of just filling out with practice players although I hope they prove to be more than that down the line.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 9, 2023, 11:18 AM.

Comment

I was also referring to the coaching staff
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I think the intense pressure of the clock ticking away got to KP.

Comment

Comment

The reason it's LaLa is because she's the one that has to wear the upside down 2 on her jersey and she is trying as hard as she can to distract attention away from that.

Just a theory but I bet WuDrWu agrees.

Comment

Terry Nooner's frist coach's radio show was pretty decent. The start of the show, however, was probably Ella Anciaux who was very sharp and polished in her segment which was fairly lengthy. Very impressive young lady.

Ella feels like her development has taken a step forward and had good things to say about the coaching and training she has gotten under the new staff, especially from AC NIck Bradford who works with the post players. I would love to see Ella blossom and have a breakout year although she has limitations as an athlete. Ella only played half the time as a sophomore last year as she did as a freshman. The most likely will change if for no other reason than Trajata Colbert graduated and Jane Asinde transferred to UTEP. That said I think this team will be rise and fall base on the play of its guards and wings.

The Shocks play Missouri Southern in an exhibition game on Wednesday at 6:00 pm.

Here is my guess at a starting lineup not that it means that much:

D.J. McCarty
                      Tre'zure Jobe
                      Ornella Niankan
                      Daniella Abies or Sierra Morrow
                      Ella Anciaux

This assumes HCTN want Ella's size in the mix to start with. Possible he would go with Danella and Sierra on the front line and bring Ella off the bench.
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 1, 2023, 01:34 PM.

Comment

WBB Preview: Exhibition vs. Missouri Southern State

WICHITA STATE vs. MISSOURI SOUTHERN STATE
                        Wednesday, Nov. 1 | 6 p.m. CT
                        Wichita, Kan. | Charles Koch Arena

TV: None
                        Radio: GoShockers.com/Listen with Steve Strain

First-year head coach Terry Nooner retained nine of 13 potential returners from 2022-23, including the lone returning starter, DJ McCarty, the Shockers' assists and steals leader from 2022-23.

Wichita State returns just 34.7 percent of its scoring from a season ago, having lost its top two leading scorers and three other triple-digit point scorers. Trajata Colbert and Curtessia Dean exhausted their eligibility, and three of the top six scorers (Jane Asinde, Sharmaryah Duncan and Nhug Bosch Duran) departed through the transfer portal. Losing Asinde and Duncan were big hits in addition to the 2 seniors.

The 2023-24 roster features six newcomers with just two true freshman, Salese Blow and Sophia Goncalves.

Wichita native, Tre'Zure Jobe, a two-time NCAA Division II All-American who scored over 2,000 points in her career at Emporia State, joins the Shockers for her final year of eligibility.

The Shockers had to go into overtime to beat this team 72-70 last year.

SCOUTING THE LIONS
                        Missouri Southern is coming off a 29-7 season in 2022-23, in which the Lions won the MIAA Championships and made a run to the NCAA Division II Central Region Championship, ending their year as the Central Region Runner-Up with a 77-76 loss to Minnesota-Duluth.

However, the Lions lost all of their statistical leaders from 2022-23, including leading scorer, Lacy Stokes, who put up 17.3 points, 5.2 assists and 2.4 steals per game before transferring to Missouri State.

Kryslyn Jones is the top returning scorer for the Lions, averaging 10.1 points per game and shooting 40.2 percent from the field, 36.4 percent from three and 88 percent from the free throw line in 2022-23 as a junior. Missouri Southern's roster does include 3 seniors and 6 juniors.

Missouri Southern has been picked to finish 5th by the coaches and 7th by the media in the 14-team MIAA.

My expectations for this year's Shocker team are quite modest considering the Shocks are replacing 80% of their starting lineup from last year with only DJ McCarty, who was initially in the portal, returning. Missouri Southern has also lost quite a bit from a very good D-II team last year so I think the Shocks should win this game but I really don't know what to expect from this Shocker team.

In the AAC preseason coaches poll the Shocks are picked to finish 11th in the 14-team league.

Comment

RH: Nooner Sets Expectations For Exhibition Game

Nooner, coaching his first game as a college head coach, wants fans to see a team that plays hard.
                          "My biggest goal is that we execute the stuff we practice the most," he said. "Defensively – being in help and deny passes. Boxing out. Talking. Offensively – sharing the ball, playing fast, set good screens. Executing the play calls."

Most of this articles focuses on 6-0 Sophomore forward Daniella Abies.

Nooner likes Abies' progress scoring around the basket and on her mid-range jump shot. He sees passing ability the Shockers can use. On defense, her agility is helpful against smaller opponents and in ball-screen defense.

"She's a great athlete," Nooner said. "That's the thing with her – consistency. Dani's played well – she probably played the best in our closed scrimmage against UMKC."
                          Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 1, 2023, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Starting lineuip for the Shocks:

DJ McCarty
                            Tre'zure Jobe
                            Ornella Niankan
                            Jayla Murray
                            Daniella Abies

Comment

Not a good start for the Terry Nooner regime at the Shocks start off 0-6 from the field and trail 8-0 as they are being outrebounded 3-7.

MSSU extends their lead to 11-2 before the Shocks get a boost from Ella Anciaux and Salese Blow off the bench but still trail 20-15 at the end of the 1st quarter.

The faster pace HCTN wants to plays seems to agree with MSSU. MSSU is outrebounding the Shocks 14-8.

The Shocks apply some defensive pressure in the 2nd quarter and Tre'zure Jobe takes over the game as the Shocks pull ahead at 37-33 at the half. Tre'Zure has 16 points at the half with Salese Blow, Jeniah Thompson and Ella Anciaux chipping in 7, 5 and 4 points of the bench respectively. Those 4 were 11-20 (55%) from the field including 4-5 on 3-pointers and 6-6 from the line as they combined to score 32 of the Shocks 37 points.

The other 6 Shockers who played combined to shoot 2-16 (0-6) from the field and 1-4 from the free throw line.

MSSU outrebounded the Shocks 27-18 which needs to be corrected. The Shocks have only turned it over 6 times to 9 for MSSU.

The teams traded points for the first 8 minutes of the 3rd quarter with the Shocks maintaining a 4 point lead at 49-45 before closing out the final 2 minutes of the quarter on a 6-0 run to take a double digit lead at 55-45.

The Shocks stretched that lead to 17 at with about 2:30 left in the game at 74-57at which time Coach Nooner cleared the bench and called off the dogs after which MSSU closed the score to the final margin of 75-65.

The Shockers turned the rebounding around in the 2nd half and finished with a 43-41 advantage on the boards. Dani led the way with 10 boards and Ella grabbed 8 for the Shocks.

The Shockers did turn it over too much in the 2nd half with 14 turnoves to finish the game with a total of 20 turnovers but they forced MSSU into 27 turnovers.

The Shocks had 15 assists on 29 baskets. Not too bad.

Tre'zure Jobe with 22 points on 8-16 (2-5) from the field plus 4-4 from the line and freshman Salese Blow with 16 points on 7-11 (2-3) from the field both had very nice debuts as Shockers. Dani chipped in 10 points on 5-9 from the field to go along whith her 10 boards for a double-double.

Sounds like a work in progesss but it also sounded like some progress was made. The Shocks open the season Monday at noon in Norman against the Oklahoma Sooners. That will provide more than a good test to see where this team is.
                              Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 1, 2023, 08:42 PM.

Comment

One player who did not play in the MSSU exhibition game was Seirra Morrow. Coach Nooner had some positive comments about Sierra on his Monday radio show. No idea what her situation is.

Sierra on the right in street clothes. Doesn't seem to be too worse for the wear.

Comment

Working...
                                X