WBB: 2023 offseason news/updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WBB: 2023 offseason news/updates

Former Shocker Shamaryah Duncan has committed to North Texas. Duncan was the teams top defender and averaged 8ppg. She started 28 of the 30 games played.

Looks like we'll still be seeing her as she transferred closer to her Waco home.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

That means all 5 starters from this year's team plus the #2 point guard will need to be replaced.

And we still have a couple weeks left for players to go into the portal.

Next year looking pretty bleak at this point.

Comment

Gonna miss NBD. She hasn't recently gone through a breakup that would give her reason to leave has she?
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

That means all 5 starters from this year's team plus the #2 point guard will need to be replaced.
        Is that the case or does it mean (for some) that they want to see if there are other possibilities and they may ultimately remain? I certainly do not claim to know the ins and outs of portal-dom.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

And we still have a couple weeks left for players to go into the portal.

Next year looking pretty bleak at this point.
          Who is left?

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post

Is that the case or does it mean (for some) that they want to see if there are other possibilities and they may ultimately remain? I certainly do not claim to know the ins and outs of portal-dom.
            Yes, it is possible they could ultimately be back. However, my less than scientific observation is that those the return to their schools are a very small % of those who enter the portal.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

Who is left?
              Good question shoxlax . I found this website regarding the WBB transfer portal: https://heatcheckcbb.com/womens-bask...rican-athletic

According to this site the following WSU players are in the portal:

Wichita State
              Raissa Nsabua, 5-10, G, Soph. (0.9 ppg) **
              Aniya Bell, 5-9, G, Sr. (2.6 ppg) **
              Jeniah Thompson, 5-9, G, Jr. (3.2 ppg) **
              Carla Budane, 6-0, F, Soph. (1.7 ppg)
              Tatiana Platonova, 5-7, G, Soph. (DNP)
              Shamaryah Duncan, 5-11, G, Soph. (7.8 ppg) -> North Texas
              Jane Asinde, 6-1, F, Sr. (13.1 ppg, 9.8 rpg) -> UTEP
              DJ McCarty, 5-8, G, Jr. (10.5 ppg, 3.5 apg) **
              Nhug Bosch Duran, 5-7, G, Soph. (3.3 ppg) -> Cal Baptist

** Players that are still listed on the WSU roster on goshockers.com. I do not know why these players are still listed on the roster and the other players, other than Shamaryah who has committed to North Texas, are not.

According to the website 38 players from the new AAC are in the portal with only 3 having committed to new schools and 1 deciding to stick with her current school. WSU leads the way with 9 players. North Texas is next with 7 players in the portal.

Of the 8 Shockers players still in the portal I think only Jane Asinde, DJ Mcarty, Nhug Bosch Duran and Jeniah Thompson are worthy of trying to re-recruit. Whether or not Coach Nooner is trying to do that I do not know, but I suspect that he is.

The only players still listed on the roster that are not in the portal at this point are:
              Ornella Niankan, 6-1, F, Jr. (31/33 gp, 13.6 mpg, 2.5 ppg, 2.5 rpg)
              Daniela Abies, 6-0, F, Soph. (26/33 gp, 10.3 mpg, 2.8 ppg, 3.3 rpg)
              Ambah Kowcun, 5-10, G, Sr. (22/33 gp, 13.2 mpg, 4.6 ppg, 1.0 rpg)
              Ella Anciaux, 6-4, C, Jr. (15/33 gp, 5.9 mpg, 2.1 ppg, 1.3 rpg)
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 18, 2023, 06:17 PM.

Comment

I have not heard anything regarding how many of the 5 recruits signed in November by Keitha Adams have asked to be released from their letters of intent.
                https://goshockers.com/news/2022/11/...ng-period.aspx

Salese Blow is probably the crown jewel of the Class of 23 recruits. As of right now she still has a photo of her WSU LOI signing up on the top of her twitter page.

Hopefully, WSU has told BoBoDaShow and the other 4 recruits that they will give them their LOI releases but only if they give Coach Nooner and his staff a chance to communicate with them. Whether or not Coach Nooner will be able convince any of these recruits he is interested in to stay with their commitment to WSU is a whole other question.

Comment

McCarty withdrew her name so is back on team.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                    McCarty withdrew her name so is back on team.
                    That's a good one to get back.

I noticed that the article I previously posted that showed players in the portal was dated April 13th so it may not have up to date information. It' possible that the reason D,J. McCarty, Raissa Nsabua, Aniya Bell and Jeniah Thompson have all decided to withdraw from the portal and return to WSU and that is way they listed on the team roster at this point.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 27, 2023, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Jane Asinde is joining Keitha Adams at UTEP: https://utepminers.com/news/2023/5/3...-transfer.aspx

In addition, 2 of Keitha's 5 signees from the incoming recruiting class have also followed her to UTEP:
                      Miriama Sow: https://utepminers.com/news/2023/5/8...riama-sow.aspx
                      Luisa Vydrova: https://utepminers.com/news/2023/5/1...a-vydrova.aspx

Not finding any new information on the other 3 members of the income class.
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 10, 2023, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Found this tidbit in an article dated May 3rd. Haven't been able to corroborate this with other sources, but I would not be surprised. I would be more surprised if she had stuck with her commitment to Wichita State:

Salese “BoBo” Blow, Plano Sr. SG/PG

Blow’s performance for Plano earned herself the title of offensive player of the year in District 6-6A. The future Texas Longhorn averaged 32.8 points per game in her senior season, and joined the 2,000 point club to become the all-time leading scorer at Plano High.

After four months of regular season play and seven rounds of postseason, it's time to recognize the top high school basketball stars in Texas in 2022-23. SBLive

Comment

2 more of Keitha's 5 signees from the incoming recruiting class have also followed her to UTEP:
                          Dunja Zecevic: https://utepminers.com/news/2023/5/1...ja-ze-evi.aspx
                          Delma Zita: https://utepminers.com/news/2023/5/1...elma-zita.aspx

So assuming that Salese Blow is, in fact, headed to Texas that accounts for all Keitha's recruiting class with 4 of the 5 following Keitha to UTEP.

Not surprising at all, especially considering the 4 that followed Keitha were foreign born players.

Comment

Nooner signs his first player

Go Shockers - All-American and Wichita Native Signs with Wichita State

Wichita State head women's basketball coach Terry Nooner has landed his first signee and it's a familiar face to the 316.

A Wichita native and two-time All-American at Emporia State, Tre'Zure Jobe has signed to play her final year of collegiate basketball in her hometown. Jobe earned WBCA All-America honors for the second time in her career this past season for the Lady Hornets.

"Tre'Zure Jobe, one of the most highly coveted transfers in the country, is a coach's dream and I am thrilled to add her as my first signee to our Wichita State program," Nooner said. "Being a Wichita native and former state champion at Wichita South High School, we made her a top recruiting priority and wanted to bring her back home as we build something new."

Jobe averaged 22.3 points, 4.1 rebounds, 3.2 steals and 2.8 assists per game in 2022-23. She was named First Team All-MIAA for the third consecutive season and was just the third Lady Hornet to be named First Team All-MIAA three times. She finished the season first in the MIAA in scoring, steals and minutes played, third in three-point percentage, seventh in field goal percentage,10th in free throw percentage and 16thin assists.

She scored 2,087 points to go with 374 assists and 297 steals in 111 career games for Emporia State. She leaves ESU third on the Lady Hornet all-time scoring list. She is ranked second on the ESU career steals list, third with 209 made three-pointers and 10th with 360 made free throws. She is eighth in career scoring in MIAA history. She has been named MIAA Player of the Week eight times in her career. She scored a Lady Hornet freshman record 518 points and her 106 assists rank second.

Jobe was named First-Team All-MIAA and Freshman of the Year in 2019-20, then was named the Player of the Year in 2020-21. She was Second-Team All-MIAA in 2021-22.

She became just the third Lady Hornet to earn three First-Team All-MIAA honors. Jobe is the only player in Emporia State history to be named at least Second Team All-MIAA four times, be the conference Freshman of the Year and the Player of the Year in a career.

"Tre'Zure is a dynamic scorer and elite pick and roll player who can score in every area on the floor," Nooner said. "She is a gym rat who is constantly putting in extra work on her own by studying film and putting in extra time in the gym to further develop her game. She is selfless and wants do to anything she can to help make the team great; she will make an immediate impact on the team and I know the fans are going to love her."
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Hopefully, Tre'Zure will prove to be a treasure. Sounds like a decent replacement for Nhug Bosch-Duran and possibly a notch or two better than Nhug.

While we she only has 1 year of eligibility remaining let's hope she has the same impact that Cacy Williams had when she followed Kristi Bredbenner from Emporia State to Wichita State. But you just never know how a players game with transflate from D-II to D-1.

However, the Shocks have had some recent successes with D-II transfers. In addition to Cacy in softball, Clayton Duchatschek in track and Garrett Pennington in baseball have been notable successes that I can think of off the top of my head.

Always nice to have local talent on the roster.

Comment

Working...
                              X