No announcement yet.

WBB 2002-23 AAC Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was going to ask about Jane not being recognized. Is she not one of the better wbb players of recent times? I would hope she is back and not jumping to another team.

Comment

I did not watch or follow the Temple game but I will watch the replay this evening but the Shocks handed Temple their 6th straight loss pulling away from a close 63-59 score at the end of the 3rd quarter to win 79-67.

The Shocks outrebounded Temple 39-24, a reversal of the rebounding deficit they had against SMU, and outscored Temple by 7 from the free throw line 17-18 vs 10-13.

Jane Asinde and Curtessia Dean led the way with matching 22 point, 10 rebound double-doubles. a double double-double if you will. Trajata Colbert chipped in 13 points and Shamaryah Duncon had 11 points. DJ McCarty did play a full 30 minutes and had kind of a mixed stat line. She did have 6 rebounds and 6 assists gut she was only 3-9 from the field and had 4 turnovers.

Watched the replay. Shocks shot the ball better than they normally do and they made some tough shots. 6-12 from three is far above their season average. Temple is down to 8 players and looked to me like that had tired legs in the 4th quarter.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 25, 2023, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Other Saturday Games

Tulsa 37-60 Houston

East Carolina 56-64 Tulane

Cincinnati 54-64 UCF

Sunday Game

Memphis at SMU

Comment

Shocks hangingt in there at Houston in the regular season finale as they trail 28-31 at the half. This would be a nice win, perhaps a season best win, if the Shocks can pull it out.

The Shocks hung in their most of the way. Houston had 7-0 run in the 4th quarter between the 5:35 mark and the 3:20 mark but the Shocks did not cave and responded with a 6-0 run to close the lead to 4 with 1:38 to play. Houston then hit a 3 pointer with 26 seconds in the game and that pretty much sealed the deal as they closed out a 62-55 win.

The Shocks outshot Houston 51.1% from the field but Houston used a 13-22 turnover advantage and 37-31 rebound advantage to get 15 more shots on goal as both teams scored 50 points form the field. The Shocks had an uncharacteristicly poor game from the free throw line hitting only 5-12 while Houston hit 12-13 with that accounting for the 7 point margin of victory.

Curtessia Dean and Trajata Colbert each scored 14 points to lead the Shockers and Jane Asinde chipped in 11 points. DJ McCarty had a tough nigtht hitting only 1-5 shots for 2 points and while she had 5 assists she also had a team and game high 8 turnovers. Shamaryah Duncan had 8 points on 3-4 from the field and 2-2 from the line and grabbed 5 rebounds but she also had 5 turnovers. Curtessia had 4 turnovers so DJ, Sham and Curtessia they had 17 fo the Shocker 22 turnovers against Houston's high pressure defense.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 1, 2023, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Shockers 55-62 Houston

South Florida 85-55 Cincinnati

Tulane 44-55 Memphis

SMU 62-68 Temple

UCF 60-70 Tulsa

Shockers and Temple play each other in the first round of the Conference Tournament next Monday at 2 pm. I think.
            Last edited by flyingMoose; March 1, 2023, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
              Shockers and Temple play each other in the first round of the Conference Tournament next Monday at 2 pm. I think.
              That's what the AAC Tournament Central shows. The Shocks and Owls tied for 8th place at 6-10. Not sure who holds the tiebreaker as they split their two games in the regular season. I think the Shocks probably have been a better team down the stretch and should be the favorited vs the depleted Owls.

Unfortunately, the reward for the winner is a Friday match up with #1 seed South Florida.

I will have to say the Shocks exceeded my low expectations for this season considering what they lost from last year, especially since last year's results were'nt great. But I don't see them moving past the quarterfinals at best in the AAC Tournament.

If you look at the AAC stats, the two biggest deficits for the Shocks were assists - turnovers and blocked shots. The Shocks had 186 assists to 257 turnovers (-71) compared to their AAC opponents who had 229 assists to 228 turnovers (+1) and the Shocks blocked 46 shots vs 78 blocks by AAC opponents.

I would expect Jane Asinde and Trajata Colbert will receive some kind of AAC post season honors or mentions.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 1, 2023, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                ... next Monday at 2 pm. I think.
                Ack!! At 1 pm CT. I did not adjust for ET.

Tournament Central

Comment

Working...
                X