No announcement yet.

Softball recruiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW, this looks like an LOI signing ceremony at her high school doesn't it.

I found the link to that photo here: http://www.breakthrewfastpitch.com/home.html

Good student: http://www.amestrib.com/sections/com...ecognized.html

Here is a nice write-up on Hunter's visit to Wichita State where HCKB offered her on the spot and Hunter gave her verbal commitment (you have to scroll down a ways to find the write-up about Hunter): http://www.iowaclubsoftball.com/

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
      Seriously, do we have any chance at this girl? What does her fastball top out at? Would she be an immediate No 1 starter here?
      Still waiting for you softball experts to give me an answer on the above. Please and thanks.

Comment

Still waiting for you softball experts to give me an answer on the above. Please and thanks.
        I'd heard a rumor that she has little desire to play in college. Don't know if that's true or not.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I have heard that she is upper 50's but has great movement.
          There simply isn't much in the way of pitching out there right now. Butler has a couple kids (Millspaugh and Berlin) that are going to be good but from what I have heard they are not ready yet. The Millspaugh kid is mid 60's and Berlin is low 60's. I plan to watch them this weekend on our field at the Juco region tournament.
          The kid at Bishop Carrol (Hefner?) is pretty good but I think she is only a soph. I have heard that she already throws low 60's.
          It is bad when the best available pitcher (Eck) doesn't want to play anymore.

Comment

She said on Bruce and Bob that they had a walkon from Butler County, a pitcher from Iowa, a player from St. Louis anda Junior college pitcher and a couple others

Comment

IMO, she does need a jr college pitcher to come in, to be more successful. I watched the Iowa video, and while she had several pitches, she wasn't a speedster. I recall the commentators during the reign of Cat talk about how she was a junk ball pitcher, mid 60's and up! So, if she (Iowa) has good movement, and can get faster, she will be a great addition. At D1 level, a pitcher needs both. The team this year is young, with 5? freshman starting. The conference stats show that their fielding % are good, with a couple at 1.000. Some coaches are defense oriented, some offense. As an old pitcher, I tend to like defense. Only two hitters are over 300, so improvement can be made there, especially with a great hitting coach! So, with the pitchers coming in, some good freshmen already playing with great defense numbers just getting better as they develop within Coach B system, continued hitting training, the future looks much brighter.

Comment

Just getting back some of the players that are hurt will make a huge difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Quick Pitch View Post
                  Just getting back some of the players that are hurt will make a huge difference.
                  Two in particular. And yes, I also think a JC pitcher could help out right away if they get the right one.

Comment

Originally posted by URKidng View Post
                    The conference stats show that their fielding % are good, with a couple at 1.000.
                    Unfortunately, fielding % does not tell the whole story. At least in the Bradley Saturday, there were far too many mistakes that did not show up as errors. The decision making and execution need to improve.

Originally posted by URKidng View Post
                    ... the future looks much brighter.
                    I certainly agree there.
                    Last edited by flyingMoose; May 3, 2012, 10:00 PM.

Comment

If I were a betting man, I would put money on the walkon from Butler making the team. :)

Comment

I have to agree with flyingmoose; about the errors that are recorded and mistakes that are made-and the difference. I watched the game on Sunday, and couldn't believe they lost in th 6th. Mental errors are a huge problem. Mistakes were made that should not have been; to me the plays seemed basic softball 101. How frustrating for coach, I would think.
                        I have a feeling I know who the walkon is, a local girl from the Renegades? I could be wrong. If so, I know she has had some injuries in the past, and hope she is 100%. We sure don't need any more unhealthy players!

Comment

Pitching coach and several others including a former Hovpen All-State first team player were out to the Maize South vs. Andale game before their dinner tonight. Ladies, thanks for coming out and taking a look at some of our local talent........Good crowd came out with several parents and players from other schools present.

Comment

Give Sydnee Eck a scholarship!!!!

Comment

I have never seen Sydnee Eck pitch, but pitching well in high school doesn't always translate to D1. So, my questions are; who does she pitch for in the summer? At what level (A or Gold)? Is she a starting pitcher for her summer team, or relief, or third string? Does her summer team go to challenging tournies? etc. I am by no means trying to say she isn't good, just believe summer experience speaks better to how she pitches against more challenging batters. Katie had an outstanding ERA in high school, and was runner up as Gatorade player, but has a poor ERA in college. Sometimes it is difficult to make the transition. I am not putting Sydnee down, just had some questions. For that matter, I am not putting Katie down, just making a point.

Comment

@Hovpen: , do you think Maddie Holub, currently at FHSU could have played for and helped WSU out of high school, and do you know if there was any interest at the time?

Comment

Working...
                                X