Shocker SB at Evansville

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker SB at Evansville

The Shockers (7-31, 0-12) continue conference play this weekend against Evansville.

The Purple Aces (11-23, 4-8) are coming off winning two of three from pre-season conference favorite Illinois State last weekend. They lost three to Northern Iowa and won one from Bradley and from Missouri State in earlier conference weekends. Their team SLOB is .666 while their opponents is .788. Their staff ERA is 3.97 and they have two hitters above .300. They lost to #19 Auburn in early March and a DH to #12 Missouri in late March - and none of the these three losses were by runs-ahead. Evansville were a pre-season pick for ninth in the Valley, but they appear to be playing better than we are at the moment. But there is a reason they play the games.

The LiveStats link appears to be here, but they use an off-brand service, so it is hard to be sure.

Evansville is forecast to have isolated thunderstorms on Saturday with a 30% chance of rain. The potential for severe thunderstorms (30% chance of rain) hits them on Sunday.

Regardless of what some of the experts on here say, not having those three bats in the lineup is big for this team.

Comment

Shouldn't we be competitive with Evansville, even with the missing bats? I think we can pick up a win or maybe even two if we play and pitch reasonably well. The Ladies should be hungry for a win.

I think the key will be for our pitchers to avoid too many innings with crooked numbers.

We seem to be gradually improving at the plate. For the season the team BA is 0.226

Over the last 16 games the team BA is 0.214.

Over the last 10 games the team BA is 0.224

Over the last 5 games the team BA is 0.248

So that is at least trending in the right direction.

Also Erin Carney has hit 6 home runs in the last 16 games after only hitting 2 in the first 22 games so she seems to be figuring things out.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 13, 2012, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Shockers 1-0 Evansville 0, after four complete.

Erin homered in the fourth. Evansville has had two runners aboard in the first, third and fourth innings through a combinations of walks, three singles and an error, but the Purple Aces have yet to dent the plate. Melanie's double in the second is our only other hit.
        Last edited by flyingMoose; April 14, 2012, 01:24 PM.

Comment

The Evansville softball schedule is showing a 0-1 loss for their team. I certainly hope that is the case as this team needed a W.

Comment

Originally posted by Hovpen View Post
            The Evansville softball schedule is showing a 0-1 loss for their team. I certainly hope that is the case as this team needed a W.
            That's what Mike Kennedy reported a little bit ago on the baseball broadcast. I believe he said Katie went the distance. If so, that is outstanding work by Katie. I was hoping the Shocks could picku up a win or two this weekend but I really wasn't expecting a win by a 1-0 score. But will take. Hopefully, that will put a little bit of pep back in the Ladies' step.

I'm not going to say what is going on in Game 2 until it is over.

Comment

Originally posted by Hovpen View Post
              We had a 1-0 lead going into the top of the seventh of the first game, so I suspect that was the final result. One of the side effects of SIDEARM stats is that the link has the current or most recent game - there is no history.

Comment

Shocks 5-0 Evansville, after five complete.

We scored five in the third after the first two batters of the inning were outs. An error broke up Sloane's perfect game in the fifth, but she still has a no-hitter going through five innings.

Comment

Sloan's gives up her 1st hit of the game, a single to the lead-off batter in the bottom of the 6th.

Someone apparently mentioned she had a no-hitter going, a serious violaion of no-hit protocol, but I guess we will let it go this time.:biggrin-new:

Comment

Game One

Shockers 1-0 Evansville

Erin's homer is the only run. The stats have disappeared because the second game started, so I don't know Katie's stat line for this one.

Game Two

Shockers 7-1 Evansville

The Shocks add two more in the sixth with singles and a sac fly. Evansville singles to open the sixth and break up the no-hitter by Sloan. The Purple Aces get a homer in the seventh followed by an error, a double and a walk, but Sloan holds them off for the second victory of the day.

Well done.
                    Last edited by flyingMoose; April 14, 2012, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Sloan gives up a home run in the 7th to lose the shut-out (at least it was a solo homer, you can live with those here and there) and loads the bases on an error by 2B Layne Greenlee, a double and a walk but she was able to work around that with no futher damage to pick up the complete game win by a score of 7-1.

Shocks offense gave Sloan solid support as they banged out 11 hits from a lineup of 5 freshman, 2 sophs and 2 juniors.

Best day of the year for the Lady Shocks. Let's hope it provides some carryover benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                        Well done.
                        Indeed.

Comment

Game One

Shockers 1-0 Evansville

Erin's homer is the only run. The stats have disappeared because the second game started, so I don't know Katie's stat line for this one.
                          Actually, there was more than a little drama in the bottom of the seventh of this one. Evansville loaded the bases, but Sloan came on to get a strikeout and a line out to left to end the game.

Comment

Here is the Evansville write-up of the DH.

Comment

Actually, there was more than a little drama in the bottom of the seventh of this one. Evansville loaded the bases, but Sloan came on to get a strikeout and a line out to left to end the game.
                              That was a pretty dramatic ending. I see Evansville had 10 runners LOB in Game 1 so it appears that it was a blue collar effort by Katie. Shocks were due to have the breaks go their way for once.

Comment

Working...
                              X