Shocker WBB 2022-23 Non-Conference Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker WBB 2022-23 Non-Conference Games

The Lady Shockers officially opened the season with what was essentially another exhibition game. This one against Alcorn State, the worst team in the worst conference in the country based on last seasons results. The Shockers were without Jane Asinde who is in concussion protocol and Curtessia Dean who led the Shocks in scoring in their exhiition game against Missouri Southern was slowed by an ankle sprain.

The Shockers did manage to gradually pull away to a 67-53 win but the Shockers only led by 5 points with 13 minutes remaining in the game. The Shockers beat Alcorn State 90-49 last year and this Alcorn State team opened it season on Monday against Tulsa losing to the Golden Hurricane 33-82. Even taking into account the issues with Asinde and Dean, this was not an especially impressive performance by the Lady Shocks.

Acorn State only shot 19-70 (27%) from the field including 2-15 (13%) on treys and 13-26 (50%) from the free throw line. The Shocks countered with a decent 21-53 (39.6%) from the field including 5-17 (29%) on treys plus 20-29 (69%) from the free throw line. The Shockers had 14 assists on their 21 baskets but also turned it over a too high 20 times.

D.J. McCarty came of the bench to lead the Shockers with 17 points (4-7, 2-2, 7-10 shooting) plus 4 assists and 4 steals in a game high 33 minutes of playing time. Trajata Colbert contributed a double-double with 13 points (3-5, 0-0, 7-7 shooting) plus 10 rebounds. Shamaryah Duncan added 9 points (4-9, 1-2, 1-14 shooting) plus 4 rebounds. Ella Anciaux chipped in 9 points as well (4-5, 0-0, 1-2 shooting) plus 5 rebounds in only 14 minutes of playing time. Curtessia Dean was limited to 14 minutes scoring 6 points (1-7, 0-1, 4-4 shooting).

Colbert (5), Dean (5), McCarty (3) and Bosch-Duran (3) had 16 of the Shockers 20 turnovers.

Little hard to evaluate with Asinde not playing and Dean hobbled but I think it just again shows this Shocker team is not very deep.

Words alone cannot describe how horribly prepared this team was for Game 1. To say it was painful to watch is as complimentary as I can possibly be.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
      Words alone cannot describe how horribly prepared this team was for Game 1. To say it was painful to watch is as complimentary as I can possibly be.
      And that's with two experienced HCs on staff...
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
        I finally was able to watch a replay of the Alcorn State game. The Shocks will be better when we get Jane Asinde back but not sure they will be that much better. At this point my feeling is that were in for a long season.

Next up is Omaha on Saturday afternoon. Omaha had a rough go in its season opener Monday at Nebraska losing by 36-100 to the 22nd ranked Huskers. This has the makings of another ugly women's basketball game but seemingly one the Shockers should win.

Comment

Kietha got extended by Boatright, correct?
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
            Kietha got extended by Boatright, correct?
            Yes, early on ADDB extended her for 2 years which I believe expires at the end of next season. Not that Keitha has set the world on fire with her recruiting but with her lame duck status and lack of success it appears to be on the decline from the small sample of play I have seen this year. Having lost 80% of her starting lineup from last year is clearly showing.

If ADKS keeps HCKA around next year without extending her contract then you know Shocker finances are in dire straits. But the product we currently have on the floor isn't generating much in the way of fan interest or ticket sales.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 12, 2022, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Shocks lead Omaha 13-7 at the end of the 1st quarter. Ella Anciaux gave the Shocks a nice lift off the bench with 5 point in 3 minutes of play at the end of the quarter. Jane Asinde still not in the lineup for the Shocks. Omaha is a bad basketball team. Worse than Alcorn State.

Shocks lead 24-20 at the half. Omaha was 6-30 from the field in the half.

Omaha picked up the scoring in the 3rd quarter to take a 39-36 lead heading into the 4th quarter.

After finding themselves down 44-51 with 4:28 to play the Shocks rallied to take a 57-56 lead on a pair of techinical free throws when Omaha called a timeout the official said they did not have although their apparently was some controversy about that. Involved a long delay to sort out. Sham Duncan hit a pair of free throws after that to put the Shockers up 59-56 but an Omaha three pointer bounced in with 12 seconds to play to put the game into overtime at 59-all.

Omaha wins the OT to take a 72-67 victory.

Trajata Colbert and Sham Duncan both had good games for the Shocks each scoring 17 points each to lead the Shockers.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 12, 2022, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Lost 67-72 in OT
                Last edited by SubGod22; November 12, 2022, 04:34 PM.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Who the **** is worse?

Comment

Go Shockers - Wichita State, Oral Roberts Square Off Wednesday Night

Wichita State (1-1) at Oral Roberts (0-3)
                    Wednesday, Nov. 16, 2022 | 7:00 PM CT | Mabee Center
                    KFH 97.5 FM/1240 AM | ORUAthletics.com

ON THE AIR
                    Wednesday's game can be heard on the radio at KFH 97.5 FM/1240 AM with Steve Strain calling the action. Strain is in his ninth season as the radio voice for Wichita State women's basketball. There will be a video stream available at ORUAthletics.com.

LAST TIME OUT
                    Wichita State dropped its first road game of the season, an overtime battle at Omaha, 72-67, last Saturday. Wichita State outrebounded the Mavericks by 15, but committed 21 turnovers leading to 20 points on the other end for Omaha. Wichita State droped to 3-4 in overtime contests under Keitha Adams. Shamaryah Duncan scored 13 of her career-high 17 points in the second half and overtime, while going a perfect 3-of-3 from beyond the arc. Trajata Colbert was 7-for-11 from the floor to finish with 17 points. Curtessia Dean scored 11 of her 13 points after halftime. DJ McCarty grabbed a career-high 11 rebounds to go with seven points and six assists.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

ORU has a really challenged themselves with their non-conference schedule. The are 0-3 with losses to #15 Oklahoma 94-105, UNLV 84-100 and Oklahoma State 66-103. ORU apparently likes to get up and down the court and shoot quickly resulting in a high possession game. In addition to the Shocks, the ORU non-con schedule includes games with Tulsa, Little Rock, SMU, Arkansas and Texas Tech.

Perhaps the biggest positive for the Shocks form the Omaha game was the play of Shamaryah Duncan. Sham has always seemed to be a good athlete that had some potential but so far, in her first 2 years, the potential has not been realized. However, Sham had what, hopefully, will prove to be a break out game against Omaha scoring a career high 17 points on 6-11 from the field including 3-3 on 3-pointers and 2-2 from the free throw line and chipped in 6 rebounds. Time will tell if this was a breakout game for Sham.

The Shocks are hoping to have Jane Asinde back for ORU although that is not a certainty at this point. As I have said before the Shockers appear like they can put a fairly decent starting lineup on the floor in Trajata, Jane, Sham, Curtessia and D.J. However, their doesn't seem to be much behind them on the bench. Nhug and Ella can provided some minutes but generally their games have some limitations.

Not sure what to expect in this ORU game.

Comment

The Shockers are finding the Paul Westhead/Loyola Marymount style the ORU women are trying to play to their liking as they lead 50-36 at the half. D.J. McCarty, in particular, seems to like it as she has 17 points at the half.

Update: The Shocks cruise to an 89-67 win. 4 Shockers in double figures. D.J. with 23, Trajata 19, Curtessia 16 and Jane 12.

As i have suggested the Shock have a decent starting 5 but beyond that it gets a little iffy. The 4 starters note above who scored in double figures accounted for 70 of the Shocks' 89 points against ORU. The one disappointment in the starting lineup vs ORU was Shamaryah Duncan followed up her career high of 17 points vs Omaha with a 1 point performance in the ORU game. So much for a breakout game.

The Shocks did dominate the boards against ORU 49-27 (19-9 on the offensive boards and 30-18 on the defensive boards). 16 turnovers in such a high paced, high possession game was not too bad.

It would not surprise me if he Shocks win their next 6 games, mostly because, at least early on, the schedule looks quite weak. May not have a good measuring stick for this team until they play at Kansas on December 11th. The 12 Shocker non-conference opponents, excluding Kansas, are off to a 5-28 start.
                        Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 17, 2022, 11:08 AM.

Comment

I watched a replay of the ORU game where the Shocks cruised to a 22 point 89-67 win. My reaction was that I wasn't so impressed with the Shockers level of play as I was impressed with how soft ORU played especially on defense and on the boards. Charmin is hard as a rock in comparison. I guess what the Shocks deserve credit for was taking what Tulsa would give them and what Tulsa would give them was just about whatever they wanted. The Shockers scored 75 points from the field and 14 from the free throw line. 66 of their 75 points from the field came in the paint, mostly right around the basket. OTOH, the Shockers also missed their fair share of bunnies. The probably missed 25 shots or so in the paint and again mostly right around the basket. 14-22 from the line was just okay. I would say most of their 16 turnovers came from lackadaisical play including 3 lane violations.

What I took away from this game is that it did not really tell us as much about the Shockers as it did about ORU and what it said about ORU wasn't very good. Perhaps, I am not giving the Shocks enough credit. I guess time will tell on that.

Comment

The Shockers had no answer for NorthTexas' Quincy Noble, a 5-10 wing, in the first half as she torched the Shockers for 25 points on 10-15 shooting including 5-7 three-pointers as North Texas jumped out to a 41-24 lead at the half. Some great adjustments by the Shocks shut Nobles and North Texas down in the 2nd half, including using a 1-3-1 zone with the lengthy Jane Asinde on the point and roared back in the 2nd half for a 57-53 win at Koch Arena.

Shocks led in scoring by Asinde with 13, Dean with 12 and 9 each from McCarty and Duncan.but it was the defensive adjustments and intensity in the 2nd half that made the difference. UNT was 7-13 from behind the arc in the 1st half but only 1-16 in the 2nd half. Noble only scored 5 points on 2-7 shooting including 1-5 treys in the 2nd half.

Shocks dominated the boards 41-28 with Trajata Colbert grabbing 11 caroms. Lot of turnover, 41, in the game. 22 for the Shocks and 19 for the Mean Green.

The Shockers aren't a real deep team but they are deeper than North Texas. Noble and Jaauclyn Moore scored 34 of UNT's first half points. Noble and Moore only managed a combined 7 points in the second half and with no one else able to step up North Texas only scored 12 points in the 2nd half with the Shocks putting up 33 with Asinde, Dean, McCarty and Duncan putting up 20 of those points.

The Shocks move to 3-1 and should win quite a few games in the non-con considering their soft shedule.

Comment

Interesting game between the Shocks and Montana in Los Angeles this evening at the LMU Thanksgiving Classic. The Shocks trailed after 26-28 at the half in a rather mudane and close half of basketball. The teams were tied at 36-all with 3 minutes remaining in the 3rd quarter. A 9-0 run by Montana to close the quarter put the Griz up 45-36. Montana extended their lead to 11 at 47-36 with 9 minutes remaining in the game. The Shocks rallied to outscore Montana 22-11 over the final 9 minutes led by Trajata Colbert with 8 points and Jane Asinde with 6 to force an overtime at 58-all. The Shocks momentum continued in overtime as they put up 20 points in the extra 5 minutes to 11 for Montana to pull out a 78-67 win. Shamaryah Duncan led they way in OT hitting 3 treys and a free throw for 10 points, Asinde had 6 and Trajata 4.

A tale of 2 games for the Shocks. The scored 1.16 points per minute over the first 31 minutes of playing time and than scored 3.00 points per minute over the final 14 minutes of playing time.

For the game Asinde and Colbert each had 20 points and Duncan had 17. That trio comined to shoot 22-40 (55%) from the filed including 3-6 on trerys 10-13 from the free throw line including 6-6 by Trajata. The rest of the team only managed to hit 8-32 (25%) from the field. The Shocks outrebounded Montana 47-36 led by Asinde with 19 and Colbert with 9. The Shocks only had 12 turnovers which is quite good for them. However, they only had 9 assists on 30 baskets.

The Shocks move to 4-1 and Montana drops to 1-3 in D-1 games on the season. The Shocks play host LMU tomorrow night. LMU is playing California tonight.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 26, 2022, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X