Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The game was………difficult to watch.

Comment

I have not yet watched the game, but the box score indicates some interesting goings on. The Shocks did win the game 77-74 but that score doesn't really reflect the flow of the game. The Shocks never trailed in this game and, in fact, look to be on the way to a big blow out win building a 42-20 lead at halftime and stretching that to 27 points at 56-29 with 16 minutes to play. St. Louis did closed the gapt to 17 points by the end of the 3rd quarter and, after a 3-pointer by DJ McCarty the Shocks still led by 17 at 69-52 with 6:45 to play in the game. St. Louis rallied again this time pulling to within 2 points at 76-74. With 9 seconds to play Ornella Niankan was fouled in the back court. Orenalla who was 9-10 on the year made the first of 2 free throws but missed the 2nd with SLU easily getting the rebound as all the Shockers were back. So SLU had plenty of time to get off a 3-point shot but they were not very well organized and failed to get up a shot before the buzzer sounded to end the game. So sounds like the Shockers were very good for the first 25 minutes, so-so for the next 8 minutes and not very good for the final 7 minutes. As I said the Shockers did not make a field goal over the final 6:45 of the game but scored just enough from the line (8-14, but only 1 of their last 4) to hold on for the win.

The Shocks put 4 players in double figures with Curtessia Dean scoring 18, DJ McCarty and Jane Asinde each had 16 and Shamaryah Duncan had 10. Trajata Colbert chipped in 8 points. Asinde with 11 rebounds and Dean with 10 rebounds both recorded double-doubles..

The Shocks shot the ball well from the field for the hitting 48.2% of their shots including 4-9 3-pointers. However, both teams were well below their norms from the free throw line with the Shocks hitting 19-30 for 63.3% and SLU making 12-55 for 54.5%.

The Shockers had 21 turnovers (the difficult to watch part I suspect) to 16 for the Billikens.

The Shocks move to 8-1 on the season while the Billikens fall to 3-10.

The Shockers definitely move up in class Sunday heading to Lawrence to face Kansas. The Jayhawks picked up a big win tonight on the road at #12 ranked Arizona winning easily by a score of 77-50. It would appear Kansas might well be looking at a top 25 ranking next week unless the Shocks can derail them Sunday. This will be a chance for the Shocks to prove that their 8-1 start is not simply the product of a weak schedule. They don't have to win this game to do that but they do need to make a competitive showing or the questions about how good this team actually is or can be will continue.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 8, 2022, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Wichita State women’s basketball off to best start in program history ahead of KU showdown

Read more at: https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...#storylink=cpy

I feel like the hype about the Shocker women at this point involves a bit of gaslighting. Not mentioned is that this historic start to the season has been built on a strengh of schdule currently ranked #357 out of 361 D-1 teams. But we will find out Sunday if this group is ready for prime time and perhaps can be competitive for a top half finish in the AAC.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          Wichita State women’s basketball off to best start in program history ahead of KU showdown

Read more at: https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...#storylink=cpy

I feel like the hype about the Shocker women at this point involves a bit of gaslighting. Not mentioned is that this historic start to the season has been built on a strengh of schdule currently ranked #357 out of 361 D-1 teams. But we will find out Sunday if this group is ready for prime time and perhaps can be competitive for a top half finish in the AAC.
          It will be interesting to see how much playing KU will affect that ranking #357 schedule ranking.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

It will be interesting to see how much playing KU will affect that ranking #357 schedule ranking.
            It will be interesting to see how badly we get beat
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

It will be interesting to see how badly we get beat
              Yeah, I pre-edited my post before clicking.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

What I don't know is if the SOS rankings on warrenolan.com are based on actual games played or on all the games in the non-con schedule yet to be played. My guess it is based on opponents actually played to date. If that is the case the SOS should take a decent jump. KU has a NET ranking of 10 and a SOS ranking of 61. They are scoring an average of 76.5 points per game and only allowing 52.9 points per game for an average winning margin of 23.6.

So the Shocks can stay within 12-15 points of KU that would be a moral victory for this team I think and would provide some hope.

After KU, the Shocks play Southern (NET #335), Wyoming (NET #126) and South Carolina State (NET #360) all at home to close out there non-con schedule. Wyoming will be the toughest home game on the Shockers non-con schedule.

So I think the Shockers are likely to finish the non-con season at 10-3 or 11-2 with the KU and Wyoming games being the best measuring sticks for evaluating this team.

Comment

If you watch the game 1972Shocker pay attention to the 1st quarter announcing. The PBP was impressed with Jane Asinde, so much so (she did have a nice quarter) that he speculated that she would be AT LEAST considered for 1st team All American. Perhaps he meant all conference, and looking back, that's likely, but that is absolutely NOT what it sounded like.

The complete meltdown and lack of ball handling skills (seen that movie before) combined with poor decision after poor decision made for a tough watch. If we stay within 30 points of Ku I will be stunned.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                    If you watch the game 1972Shocker pay attention to the 1st quarter announcing. The PBP was impressed with Jane Asinde, so much so (she did have a nice quarter) that he speculated that she would be AT LEAST considered for 1st team All American. Perhaps he meant all conference, and looking back, that's likely, but that is absolutely NOT what it sounded like.

The complete meltdown and lack of ball handling skills (seen that movie before) combined with poor decision after poor decision made for a tough watch. If we stay within 30 points of Ku I will be stunned.
                    Yes, I did catch that when I watched the replay last night. I think he probably did mean the 1st team All-AAC team but he did say 1st team All American. The other thing I noticed was that HCKA must have been pretty close to where the ESPN announcers were sitting and with the arena being pretty much empty you could hear just about everything she was saying/shouting to her team during play. I did not realize that she micro-managed her team during play as much as she does but that may be pretty common among coaches.

I thought the Shocks went into their prevent offense way to early and clearly did not handle the full court pressure well but they went into passive-mode way to early. SLU also benefited some from a favorable whistle or should I say favorable no whistle during their final run. But the final 15 minutes of the game was not pretty that's for sure.

I won't be stunned if we stay within 30 of KU but I won't be all that surprised if the beat us by 40+.

Comment

Paper Tiger? Our AD is going to
                      have a very busy offseason

Comment

We were in it for a half.

Comment

Since I had to look it up: KU 72 WSU 52.

Actually, not as bad as I thought it would be against an undefeated 8-0 team that had beaten the then #12 Arizona at their place.

With 6 minutes left in the 2nd Q, it was 19-10 KU and by 2:13 left in the 3rd Q it was 46-34.
                          Last edited by ShockTalk; December 11, 2022, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Just now getting around to checking the result and perhaps watching the replay. Probably about as good as could be expected. Coming in KU's average margin of victory this season was by 23.6 points. So the Shockers did about as well as anyone else KU has played this year. The Shocks SOS jumped from #357 to #311 although it will probably decline again to some extent over the 3 remaining non-conference games.

It will be interesting to see how Tulsas does at KU next Friday.

On Friday the Cincinnati women held Xavier to 48 points and still lost by 13. 10-56 shooting from the field.

Outside of USF the AAC just doesn't look all that strong this year.

Comment

Too many atomic bombs. KU got steals and turned them into layups. I've been critical (and still am) of this program, but I will give them some credit yesterday. They played hard against a much better team and acquitted themselves somewhat surprisingly as far as I am concerned. Ku hit a prayer 3 right at the end of the 1st quarter, then in an effort to get a last look, WSU turned it over into another atomic bomb at the buzzer. A 1 point game turned to 6 in about 12 seconds. That happened a couple more times and you get a 20 point game.

Effort like that is to be commended, even when it's futile.

Doesn't mean that a change isn't in the offing.

Comment

That was probably the best, most aggressive defense the Shockers will face this year. it helps having 6-6 backed up by 6-4 in the post to allow your perimeter players to take chances on defense. KU has held their last 6 opponents to 48.6 points per game. KU pretty much eliminated Trajata Colbert and Jane Asinde as factors in this game.

UCF dominated the AAC based on their defense last year, although with a totally different style than KU plays.

Comment

Working...
                                X