No announcement yet.

Shocker SB v Tulsa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I kind of like this Makenzie Brown, a freshman, in the circle for Tulsa. She needs to work a bit on her comman but otherwise looks to have pretty good stuff. A pticher that Tulsa can build on moving forward. Would love to have freshman pticher like her.

Got to go. Good luck with the comeback Shocks.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
      It's hard to believe that we can't recruit a pitcher when even decent middies have an ace substantially better than anyone we have (or frankly have had) with this staff.

As Jim Lampley once said about MVSU (with Jerry Rice), "You live by the pinball scoreboard, and you die by pinball scoreboard".
      1000 % agree especially with the transfer portal. Who wouldn’t want the run support our lineup usually produces?

Comment

A double in the Tulsa fifth, but no runs score. Howell starts the fifth for Tulsa. Hello!! Infield single by Sydney, homer by Addison, and the Shockers are one run short of a runs-ahead ball game. Two Shocker walks with one out, but no one can get a run home. 11-4 after five.

Lainee is on to catch to start the sixth. She receives a third 1-2-3 inning by Erin which includes two strikeouts.

Caroline pinch-hits for Krystin and pops out. (In the fourth inning, Cassie was a pinch-hitter for Wylie and struck out.) Wylie follows with a single, and Sydney ends the game with a home run.

Tulsa 4-13(6) Shockers

The offense was led by Sydney (four hits including a homer and three RBI), Addison (three hits including two homers and six RBI), and Lauren and Neleigh with two hits each. The Shocks had a total of fourteen hits. Erin gave up six hits, one walk, and a hit batter with all four runs being unearned. She struck out five.
        Last edited by flyingMoose; April 2, 2022, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
          Friday GameBailey has been out for awhile now - any news from anyone?
          Seems pretty clear that Bailey, on crutches and sporting a knee brace, is likely one of the 2 out with an ACL tear as mentioned on the podcast.

Comment

I need to bug out more often. I would like to try a lead from the get go but game tomorrow but not sure that's this teams style.

Erin settled down apparently after the 2nd inning. And obviously the bats finally awakened and apparently in kinda of a bad mood. Looking forward to watching the replay on this one.

It will be interesting to see who gets the start in the circle tomorrow. Will they give Alison another look, or perhaps they give KenzIe a shot . Everyone will be available and I suspect whoever will be in the game will be on a fairly short leash. I don't think the Shocks can afford a loss to Tulsa if they want to be a factor in the AAC race this year.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 2, 2022, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Wylie follows with a single, and Sydney ends the game with a home run.

Tulsa 4-13(6) Shockers

The offense was led by Sydney (four hits including a homer and three RBI), Addison (three hits including two homers and six RBI), and Lauren and Neleigh with two hits each. The Shocks had a total of fourteen hits. Erin gave up six hits, one walk, and a hit batter with all four runs being unearned. She struck out five.
              Probably a good thing that Syd ended it because otherwise Addie was going to end it next. She's seeing the ball like it's a balloon and she was leaving the yard for a 3rd time had she come up again.

Comment

For the most part the Shockers have been pretty good offensively under Coach Bredbenner. However, the Shocks seem to have taken it to another level the last couple of years. Is the just a matter of recruiting the right pieces. I wonder if some credit goes to AHC Economan for the power surge of the past couple of years.

Nobody would mistake the Shocks for Oklahoma's roster in the airport but the Shocks have some pop.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 2, 2022, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  ... pretty good offensively ... I wonder if some credit goes to AHC Economan for the power surge of the past couple of years.
                  I say, Yes. It is still not clear to me why we cannot recruit pitching. Bailey, a transfer from Northern Iowa, came to us as an outfielder who pitched some.

Comment

Watched a replay of the game tonight. Addi's first home run was very similar to the home run she hit yesterday. A pitch up and in that she had to pull her arms in and tomahawk but is strong enough to still drive the ball over the scoreboard. I think her 2nd home run came on a change up. That can't be good news for opposing pitchers.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                      Watched a replay of the game tonight. Addi's first home run was very similar to the home run she hit yesterday. A pitch up and in that she had to pull her arms in and tomahawk but is strong enough to still drive the ball over the scoreboard. I think her 2nd home run came on a change up. That can't be good news for opposing pitchers.
                      I would walk her in almost every scenario, especially if no one is on base, unless of course, you are OU or someone with a high level pitcher.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

I would walk her in almost every scenario, especially if no one is on base, unless of course, you are OU or someone with a high level pitcher.
                        Jocelyn Alo of OU now holds the NCAA career record for home runs. As she was nearing the mark, some schools would take the approach you described so they would not be the ones to give up the home run that would tie the record or set the record. Without naming names, HC Patty Gasso strongly derided the approach. I understand your point, but I am like Coach Gasso - I want my pitcher competing and trying to get her out.

As an aside, Jocelyn was eventually able to set the mark in her home state of Hawaii.

Comment

Game Three

Lineup: Sydney, Addison, Lauren, Zoe, Lolo, Jessica, Neleigh, Krystin, Wylie with Caitlin in the circle. In a bit of a surprise, Llamas-Howell is the starter for Tulsa.

My contributions may not extend much past the above.
                          Last edited by flyingMoose; April 3, 2022, 11:46 AM.

Comment

The first 2 Tulsa batters hit the ball very hard on a line. The first was caught by Wylie in left with a nice shoestring catch. The 2nd cleared the wall in left center and was in the air very long.

That was just the 11th home run of the season for Tulsa.

As Caitlyn tends to do she doesn't respond well to adversity as she walks Tulsa's fastest play on 4 straight pitches. With 2 outs an infield hit puts runners on the corners. A little pop up that Nelieigh had to grab with a basket catch running toward home plate end the Tulsa at bat.

The good news is that the Shockers trailing Tulsa early in this series has worked out pretty well so far.

Addie ties it up with her short chopping swing with a line drive home over the centerfield wall. Addie's 17th home of the year ties for the national lead according to Steve Strain.

In the Shocker 2nd with Lolo aboard via a walk Neleigh unloads an oppo no doubter over the scoreboard in left field. Krystin Nelson doubles to the gap in left center and moves to 3rd on a hard groundball single through the 5-6 hole. Wylie steals 2nd. Llamas-Howell then walks Sydney and Addie back-to-back to force in a run and her day is done. Samantha Pochop on in relief. Lauren Lucas falls behind in the count 0-2 before skying to left for a sac fly scoring Wylie. Zoe walks to reload the basis but Lolo strikes out to end the inning. Shockers 5 - Tulsa 1 after 2.

After her team puts up a 4 start Caitlyn walks the lead off hitter to open the Tulsa 3rd. SMH. After fielding and one hopper Neleigh decides to try to get the runner at 2nd instead of taking the easy out at 1st and throw late. A dribbler to 3rd produces the 1st out of the inning but moves the runners to 2nd and 3rd. A fly ball to center is just deep enough to score the runner from 3rd ahead of Addie's throw. Caitlyn gets a strike out to end the inning.

In the bottom of the 3rd an error by the Tulsa shortstop, a walk to Neleigh and a hit batter loaded the bases for the Shocks with no outs. Wylie's sac fly to deep left center scored Jessica. Sydney line sharply toward the left field corner but Tulsa was playing her that way and the leftfielder was right their to make the catch. Addie popped up to left center. Shockers 6 - Tulsa 2 after 3.

The Shockers missed golden opportunities to blow this game open in the 2nd and the 3rd. Letting Tulsa kind of hang around.

Tulsa opens the 4th with a single to left, a stolen base and another single to left and it is 6-3. After a slow roller to 1st produces the first out another line drive to left gets over Wylie's head and hits the base of the wall for an RBI double making it 6-4. A wild pitch moves the runner to 3rd base. Caitlyn responds by walking the next batter on 5 pitches. A stolen base puts runners at 2nd and 3rd. A ground ball single up the middle scores both of those runners with the hitter taking 2nd base on the throw to home. Tulsa ties it up at 6-all and Caitlyn's day is done. Alison Cooper comes in and wild pitches the runner to 3rd on her 1st pitch. Sydey make a great play on a 2 hopper up the middle to get the next batter at 1st but the runner from 3d scores on the play and Tulsa takes the lead 7-6. A pop up to 2nd ends the Tulsa at bat.

The Shocks go down quickly and in order in the bottom of the 4th. Shocks 6 - Tulsa 7 after 4.

In the top of the 5th a hit batter, stolen base, and a walk to the #9 hitter puts runners at 1st and 2nd with 2 outs. A grounder to Sydney at short gets the force out 2nd to end the Tulsa at bat.

In the bottom of the 5th Jessica lead off with a bloop single to right. Neleigh followed with a high fly ball just to the left of center that the wind carried to the wall and just barely cleared the fence as the ball tipped off the end of the centerfielder's glove for a home run. Krystin Nelson reaches on a softly hit ball off the handle that landed almost right on 2nd base that the 2nd baseman fielded on one hop but could not make a throw. Wylie moved Krystin to 2nd base with a sac bunt. Sydney, after making an out on a hard line drive her previous at bat, loops a soft single to right with Krystin moving to 3rd. Addie takes the 2nd pitch she saw over the center field wall. No way the centerfielder could get a glove on that one. Well up in the tree behind the fence. Pochop is done and Makenzie Brown come to pitch for Tulsa. Lauren Lucas greets her with a sharp single to center, Zoe Jones is hit by a pitch and Lolo walks to load the bases still with only 1 out. Jessica his hit by a pitch forcing in Lauren with the Shocker's 6th run of the inning. Neleigh works a walk to force in Zoe Jones. The Shocks could end this game with 2 more runs this at bat. Caroline Tallent and Madyson Espinoza running for Lolo and Jessica. With the count at 3-2 on Krystin she fouls off a pitch but is awarded 1st base on catcher's interference (why not) to force in yet another run. Wylie Glover the draws a walk off walk forcing in the 9th run of the inning and giving the Shockers a 15-7 five inning run-rule win. Ugh! That was one of utt bugliest half innings I have ever witnessed.

Well the Shocks got the needed sweep. Glad they are playing Oklahoma State before heading to Tampa next weekend because what they saw from Tulsa pitching this weekend is far from what they will see next weekend. The hits and runs will be very precious indeed against USF and Georgina Corrick.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 3, 2022, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Jocelyn Alo of OU now holds the NCAA career record for home runs. As she was nearing the mark, some schools would take the approach you described so they would not be the ones to give up the home run that would tie the record or set the record. Without naming names, HC Patty Gasso strongly derided the approach. I understand your point, but I am like Coach Gasso - I want my pitcher competing and trying to get her out.

As an aside, Jocelyn was eventually able to set the mark in her home state of Hawaii.
                              Easy for her to say…she’s never on the other end of these discussions. I do like her though.

Comment

RH article featuring Addison

Comment

Working...
                                X