Shocker WBB 2021-22 Non-Conference Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
    Irrelevant fact: Tommy Morrison’s daughter plays for ORU.

Not related. Tommy Morrison's son is her half brother.

Comment

My mistake…I was kind of close.

In my defense, everybody’s related to each other in that part of Oklahoma.
      Last edited by shoxlax; December 3, 2021, 09:06 PM.

Comment

drake29 E=ShockTalk;n1320083]

With a little more success, I believe the women's program would be rewarded with appropriate WSU fan interest.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps although I don't think I have as much confidence in that happening as you seem to have. It might take more than a little more success. Although I guess that hinges on what one considers a little more success.

Considering the lack of interest in women's athletics in general among WSU fans in and in WBB specifically I would expect to interest to grow much until the Shocks are a top 3-4 program in the AAC every year with somewhat regular trips to the NCAA or WNIT tournaments. Maybe 1 NCAA bid and 1 WNIT invite every 4 years. And even then it is difficult to say how Shocker fans would respond.

Granted this start has been against a very weak schedule so far, especially home games. But the Shocks have a good opportunity to raise their profile over the next final 5 non-games against the following opponents:

Net rankings have not yet been reported for this season. However, warrennolan.com does calculated RPI's. The ranking before the opponents name is their RPI. The Shockers Records are D-1 games only.

#185 Wichita State (7-1)

12/3/21 @ #21 South Dakota (2-4) - Wins are @ Drake (61-46) and Pittsburgh (72-61 in OT in the Virgin Islands); Home loss to Oklahoma (71-73), @ #1 ranked South Carolina (41-72), Northwestern (57-73) and #17 ranked Texas A&M (44-58) both in the Virgin Islands.

12/11/21 vs #230 Grambling State (2-5) - One of the wins was over Northwestern State (68-60). The Shocks beat Northwestern State 70-61.

12/17/21 vs #174 North Texas (3-2) - Lost at a decent Missouri State 50-56. They play at home tonight against SMU.

12/21/21 vs #48 Kansas (6-1) - Kansas lost to #11 ranked Tennessee in Las Vegas 58-68. Otherwise, they have played a real strong schedule.

12/29/21 @ #40 Oklahoma (6-1) - OU beat SMU on Tuesday in Dallas 84-72

Comment

Turned on the game at SD this afternoon. Shocks getting run out of the building early. They can't stop the Yotes, they can't stop the pick and roll, SD is making 50%+ shooting a ton of FTs and to be honest, the Shocks are getting homed a bit with the whistles. What's allowed at one end is not at the other. At best, WSU is going to have to adjust to NOT being physical, which is all but impossible in one game.

26-14 after 1. At this pace, we'll be out of players in the 4th quarter.

Opponents record to date:

USD 35-6

WSU 18-37

We wouldn't know an assist if it hit us in the nose.

Last edited by WuDrWu; December 4, 2021, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Shocks @ South Dakota

Quarter 1

The Shocks trail 16-24 at the end of the 1st quarter. Could have been worse.. The Shocks scored 6 points on their final 2 possessions of the quarter on a McCulley 3 in transtion and on an Asinde and 1 on baseline drive.
            dack
            USD looks to be a very disciplined, experienced and well coached team. They are not huge but they have good size at ever4y spot on the floor. Their guards in particular have a size advantage on the Shocker guards. The Shokcs guards may be a bit quicker and more athletic.

I think the Shocks can play with Coyotes but they are going to have to play very well to do so.

Quarter 2

At the mid-point of the quarter South Dakota extended their lead to 15 at 35-20. The Shocks closed the lead to 9 at 38-29 with 2 minutes left in the half but South Dakota scored the final 5 points of the half to pusth the lead back to 14 with a 43-29 point lead at the half.

The Shocks are being dominated by South Dakota's 6-2, 6th year senior post Hannah Sjerven who has 25 points on 6-8 from the filed including a 3 pointer and 12-15 from the free throw line.

Tought deficit for the Shocks but I don't think they are totally out of this game at this point.

Quarter 3

Kind of a disjointed quarter due to some officiating and time clock issues with the teams pretty much just trading point. Jane Asinde and Mariah McCully playong well for the Shocks.

Quarter 4

Shock close to 11 at 50-61 with 8:00 minutes to go.

Shocks have not closed to 7 at 56-63 with 6 minutes to go behind Asia Strong and Jane Asinde.

With the South Dakota lead back to 8 at 65-57 Jane Asinde gets a charging file just before the shot clock expired and that was heer 5th foul.

Shocks going to run out of gas but they made it interesting.

Final: USD 71 - WSU 59

25 Turnovers for the Shocks to 12 for South Dakota. However, the Shocks had a big 45-24 advantate on teh boards.

Neither team shot the ball well from the perimeter. The Shocks were 4-19 on treys and South Dakota was 5-23.

The free throw discrpancy wasn't as big as I thought it was. The Shocks were 11-13 while the Coyotes were 14-17.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 4, 2021, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Keitha is going to get T'd up I suspect, and when it happens it's 100% deserved.

Shocks get a mini run with USD's best player on the bench and cut the lead to 9 on a 3 from Jane (hit like a rotten melon but went in).

Can't stop fouling. 13 so far. USD had a 5 point possession earlier on a bad checking out foul which was AWFUL during a made 3.

36-26 currently.

Yote post Hannah Sjerven (really good player admittedly) is just getting away with murder. 12-15 FROM THE LINE.
              Last edited by WuDrWu; December 4, 2021, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                Keitha is going to get T'd up I suspect, and when it happens it's 100% deserved.
                Why?

Comment

43-29 at the half. 5-0 to run to end it and it was completely unacceptable. Shocks could have held for 1, took a 3 (a decent shot) but with WAY too much time left, then absolutely walked back on D (Carla the only one running to get back) and USD patiently faked and shot a layup as time expired.

USD is better coached, period. We have superior athletes, I'd say they have smarter players, but significantly better coached. Hannah Sjerven has TWENTY FIVE at the half, and we have no answer. 36 out of 43 points between Sjerven and Lamb. MAYBE make someone else beat you? Just an idea.

Also the 10 turnovers (seemed more like 15 but I wasn't counting) is way too much against a team that cannot pressure us.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post

Why?
                    She's been chirping at all 3 officials and they seem to be tiring of it. But what is a foul at one end is often not at the other. They are allowing SD to be physical off ball, but not WSU, and the same with shots, WSU has gone strong the basket and taken contact with no call, and Hannah Sjerven is 13-16 from the line. I'm NOT saying the officials are deciding the game, but they've certainly influenced any chance WSU has to stay in it.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Opponents record to date:

USD 35-6

WSU 18-37
                      According to WarrenNolan.com the opponents records in D-1 games are:

USD 36-6

WSU 9-31

Comment

The Shocks have knocked Sjerven out the game (literally) with about 3:45 remaining in the game. Sjerven went to the locker room She took a good pop to the mouth so may or may not be back.

Play was reviewed but not ruled flagrant. May or may not have been the right call.

Then the time clock gets screwed up and the game comes to halt.
                        Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 4, 2021, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Hannah Sjerven back in the game for the final possession of the 3rd quarter. More time clock problems to resolve.

Comment

A successful program will get more support. I'm not sure if they'd ever get as much support as the volleyball team used to get. Personally, when it comes to women's sports I'd rather watch volleyball and softball before basketball.
                            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                              A successful program will get more support. I'm not sure if they'd ever get as much support as the volleyball team used to get. Personally, when it comes to women's sports I'd rather watch volleyball and softball before basketball.
                              As would I if I had to chose. I don't think that sentiment is uncommon.

Comment

I thought there was some positives to take away from the South Dakota game.

For one thing the Shocks played hard and never gave up. In fact, they put the outcome of the game in doubt in the 4th quarter. That was good to see, especially after the total collapse in the 2nd half at Northern Iowa a couple of weeks ago.

Quite unexpectedly Juco transfer Jane Asinde is now the Shocks 2nd leading scorer averaging 10.8 PPG just behind Mariah McCully's 11.3 PPG and she leads the Shocks in rebounding at 9.3 RPG. So she is getting close to averaging a double-double. In fact, in her last 5 games Jane has 4 double-doubles while averaging 13.8 PPG and 11.6 RPG over that 5 game span. Perhaps not against the strongest lien up of teams but still wothy or acknowledgment. Plus her best game was probably against the best opponent with her 20 point, 11 rebound effort against South Dakota yesterday. Not sure the Shocks have ever had a Juco transfer as productive as Jane especially this early in her career and with the Covid eligibility rules Jane would be with the Shocks a total of 3 years.

The Shocks would appear to be a pretty good defensive and rebounding team. I think the jury may still be out on how much, if any, they have improved offensively. So far their scoring is up about 9 points a game from 63.4 per game vs 72.1 per game. However, that could largely be due to a soft early schedule. In their two losses they have only socred 55 and 59 points.

So far the Shocks have not been been good from distance shooting only 27.7% on 3 pointers. But it's been a long-time since they have been a good perimeter shooting team.

The 25 turnovers were definitely a problem and that is 3 of the last 4 games and 4 of the last 6 they had 20+ turnovers. So they need to get that under control.

The Shocks only have 4 games between now and the start of conference play on January 5. So about 1 game a week. So Shocks should have a decent amount of practice time availble even with the Christmas break factored in.

The Shocks get back to their SWAC schedule vs Grambling State next Saturday. Grambling State and the Shocks have one common opponent both beating Northwestern State at home by similar scores.
                                Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 11, 2021, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X