Shocker WBB 2021-22 Non-Conference Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker WBB 2021-22 Non-Conference Games

Shocks opening their season today at home against Chicago State. Although technically a D-1 opponent I previously suggested that this was more akin to a 2nd exhibition game.

So far, that is proving to be the case. Shocks lead 25-2 at the end of the 1st quarter. CSU is 1-15 from the field and has 11 turnovers.

First time I have seen Ella Anciaux. Not really all that impressed. Big, but lumbering and not very athletic. Perhaps a bit over-hyped at this point. But perhaps she'll develop. Needs a lot of work.

Overall, the Shockers looked pretty good, especially on defense.

HCKA back off in the 2nd quarter. Played a lot of different combinations including her entire bench. The starters as a group only played the last 45 seconds of the half. Otherwise, it was a lot of bench players and some mixing and matching. The five starters (Bastin, Bremaud, Colbert, Strong and McCully) plus Asinde and McCarty off the bench look pretty capable. No one else stood out and ready to be a key contributor.

Shocks lead 40-15 at the half. CSU is 5-32 from the field and have committed 16 turnovers.

The Shock extend the lead to 63-24 at the end of the 3rd quarter as the top 7 played the entire quarter. My guess is their day is done and we will see the bottom 7 of the roster in the 4th quarter.

DJ McCarty did play 6 minutes in the 4th quarter otherwise it was the bottom 7. Shocks finish off a 78-34 win. Not sure exactly what we learned from this game. Jayze'lee Waihi only roster player who did not play. No idea what the story is with her. Injury, Covid, Redshirting?

The defense was pretty good, The top 7 look pretty good. Shamaryah looks like she has the physical tools to be a contributor but her BBIQ needs some development. Anciaux will be adequate as a reserve center. She has a nice touch. Her best plays were a couple of shots form the short baseline on feeds from driving teammates.

Nice job from the line by the Shocks hitting 15-17. However, they only made 3-17 from behind the arc. McCarty was 1-2 and the rest of the team was 2-15 so this still appears to be a weakness of this Shocker team. But it was just 1 game.

We will get a lot more answers Saturday when the Shocks play at Wyoming.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 9, 2021, 01:59 PM.

40-15 at the half. So 2nd qtr was just 15-13.

Comment

11-0 WSU run to start the 3rd.

Comment

Didn't watch all of the game (sorry it's just too painful) but kind of a fan of that kid from Spain. She's got some spunk and a bit of Euro flair....hope she gets some minutes this season.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
          Didn't watch all of the game (sorry it's just too painful) but kind of a fan of that kid from Spain. She's got some spunk and a bit of Euro flair....hope she gets some minutes this season.
          I think Bosch Duran will get some minutes. The HCKA wants to play they will need to go at least 10 deep.

Carla Bremaud's countrtywoman, Melissa Secchiaroli, kind of intrigued me just based on her size and athleticism. Similar to Carla in size but perhaps a bit more athletic. Whether that will translate into any playing time I don't know. Sechhiaroli only played in 4 minutes in this blowout today.

It would appear that in addition to the Top 7 players I mentioned above that Ella Anciaux, Nhug Bosch Duran, and Shamaryah Duncan will most likely round out the top 10. After that were probably just looking at mostly backfill minutes as needed are available.

I think Missouri Southern State gave the Shocks more resistance than they got from Chicago State. In fact, I'm not sure why Chicago State doesn't drop down to D-II. Over the most recent seasons the CSU men's team is 11-118 in D-1 games and the women's team is 4-127.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 9, 2021, 03:03 PM.

Comment

I'd be surprised if Ella doesn't play a lot. She's a little slow footed, but that's to be expected. We need her size and she's got some skill for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
              Shamaryah looks like she has the physical tools to be a contributor but her BBIQ needs some development.
              And how! She struck me as the player who had to do everything for her HS or club team, and now she has to make the adjustment to just trying to be part of a team.

Anciaux will be adequate as a reserve center. She has a nice touch. Her best plays were a couple of shots from the short baseline on feeds from driving teammates.
              No, she is not particularly athletic at all, but she seemed to know where the rim was once she had the ball in the lane. That is more than can be said for some of her compatriots. She needs to learn to use her butt to establish a position down low.

Comment

As a side note Chicago State has to be the worst D-1 men’s program to win a game on our home court. In the 84-85 season they beat us, although that was probably their best team ever.

I sat behind the bench and the last few minutes, Gene made Gregg Marshall look calm.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                  No, she is not particularly athletic at all, but she seemed to know where the rim was once she had the ball in the lane. That is more than can be said for some of her compatriots. She needs to learn to use her butt to establish a position down low.
                  And their is ample buttage to be put to use. No doubt she will get stronger and more physical as the collegiate strength training takes hold. I doubt she will ever be great at running the floor so most of her work will have to be done in the half court offense.

She does have a nice stroke on her set shot but won't create much on her own. But if she will make her self available when teammates draw the defense away from her she can score if they get her the ball in space.

Comment

And their is ample buttage to be put to use. No doubt she will get stronger and more physical as the collegiate strength training takes hold. I doubt she will ever be great at running the floor so most of her work will have to be done in the half court offense.

She does have a nice stroke on her set shot but won't create much on her own. But if she will make her self available when teammates draw the defense away from her she can score if they get her the ball in space.
                    I thought the “hype” was because she was a Wichita area recruit. Were their more predictions about her success? I watched her play in HS a couple of times and thought she would be a decent role player, as you described.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

I thought the “hype” was because she was a Wichita area recruit. Were their more predictions about her success? I watched her play in HS a couple of times and thought she would be a decent role player, as you described.
                      You might be right but on the HCKA radio show last night I think they spent half the show talking about Ella. Maybe mentioned 2 other newcomers briefly. But you may be right. They may just be pushing the fact that she is a local player. However, she will probably be a starter by her Junior year and who knows how she will develop. But at this point she doesn't appear to be the reincarnation of Angela Buckner.

Comment

The Lady Shocks picked up a nice road win at Wyoming today. After a low scoring first half ended with the Shocks leading 20-19 the Shockers, behind a strong 2nd half from Asia Strong outscored Wyoming 37-29 to pull away to a 57-48 victory.

Asia scored 17 points on 7-10 from the field including 3-5 from behind the arc and addes 7 rebounds. However, she did have 4 turnovers although the Shocks as a team only had 10 turnovers which is quite good for them.

3 of our upperclassmen and starters did not have great games. Seraphine, Carla and Mariah combined to shoot 7-29 (24.1%) including 2-10 on treys. The rest of the team lead by Asia shot 15/31 (48.4%) from the field including 5-10 on treys.

HCKA shortened her bench in this game playing primarily 8 players. Ella Anciaux played 4 mintues without scoring but she did pick up 3 rebounds. Shamaryah Duncan played the next fewest minutes and didn't put up any big numbers but didn't hurt the team either. She took 3 shots, all treys, and made 2 of them and had not turnovers. Good to see her playing under control. Other than Ella the only other newcomer to play in this game was juco transfrer Jane Asinde.

Early on it is looking like the Shocks are going to be a pretty good defensive team. Whether or not they will be able to score much remains to be seen. Asia is certainly a capable scorer. Mariah can be but she tends to force things a bit and hunts her shot.

Comment

Overlapped with 1972Shocker, but I will leave in a few pieces.

Shockers 57-48 Wyoming

After trailing 6-13 at the end of the first quarter, the Shocks steadied the ship, leading by one at the half and never trailing in the second half. The Cowgirls are a preseason pick for fifth place of the eleven teams in the Mountain West.

Seraphine followed Asia with 9 points.

The Shockers only shot 36.7%, but the Cowgirls were worse - 31.5%.

This road trip continues with a game against Denver on Monday.
                          Last edited by flyingMoose; November 13, 2021, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Wyoming beat Denver 79-67 to open the season.

One of Denver's starters is a young lady by the name of Anna Jackson. Anna is the daughter of Shocker baseball great Joey Jackson.

Comment

Shockers stop in the Mile High City on their way back to Wichita for a Monday night game with Denver.

Comment

Working...
                              X