Shocker WBB 2021-22 Non-Conference Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    Boy I just thought they looked bad tonight, even their game management left a LOT to be desired. Lots of work to do I think to be competitive in conference.
    I just have no good feel for where this team is at. They are 6-1 but the record is vs a SOS ranked 346 our of 356 D-1 programs. The only team they have played so far that has a winning record in D-1 games is UNI (3-2) who blew them out 87-55 in Cedar Falls.

Will find out a lot more about where this team is after the final 6 non-con games with perhaps only Grambling State being one you can most likely count on a win.

Comment

I don't believe it's been extended beyond 2024 (so 2 seasons after this one).

Good question, but I hope more than the results in recent years.

I think that if in fact she hasn't been extended since 2019 (I won't swear to it but that's what I found) then there is certainly some pressure to win. You just aren't going to win recruiting battles with a 1-4 year contract, and she's apparently sitting on 2.5 right now.
      We have our current core group of 7 players providing 84% of this years scoring and 76% of the rebounding. McCully is in her last year. Strong, Bastin, Bremaud and Colbert have one more year next year if they want it. McCarty and Asinde have 2 more years. At this point I am not all that high on what we currently have waiting in the wings overall.

If recruiting will be hampered this year and next that doesn't bode well for what's on the horizon. In any case, HCKA is in her 5th season. Arguably, her best season may have been her 1st with the senior laden team that she inherited from Jody Adams. However, after that season she was faced with a ground up rebuild. However, at this point she has an experienced team of her own players and if they are going to get anything done that should happen this year and next year.

That said I really don't know if there is much, if any pressure, on HCKA. I'm not sure what the expectations are for women's basketball. Perhaps not much since it competes directly with Men's basketball for the attention of fans. That said if the expectations are modest at best not sure we need to pay a coach what we are paying HCKA for the results we are getting. This season may provide a benchmark against which an evaluation can be made. The Shockers certainly need to finish above the 8th place AAC finish the AAC coaches slotted them in to show some progress..

Comment

I don't think this team is as good as the Jessica Diamond/Chynna Turner/whoever teams.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
          I don't think this team is as good as the Jessica Diamond/Chynna Turner/whoever teams.
          The Shocks only have six 20 win seasons in 47 years. 4 of those were in the 2011-12 through the the 2014-15 seasons under Jody Adams before her program imploded with the able assistance of her former boss Dana Eikenberg, who did the same thing previously to the Southern Illinois women's basketball program when Jody was her assistant.

Haleigh Lankster was a senior on the 2011-12 season while Jessica Diamond, Chynna Turner and Jaz Gordon were Juniors. However, the one common denominator for all 4 of those years was Alex Harden and Kelsey Jacobs. Those teams went 20-13, 24-10, 26-7 and 29-5, After Alex and Kelsey graduated the the team fell to 8-22.

HCKA's winning percentage including the 6-1 start against a soft schedule is .462 which is pretty much in line with the .465 winning percentage of the Shocker program over the past 47 years.

A winning tradition is something the WSU WBB program does not really have.

I think it's safe to say there certainly isn't anywhere near the pressure on HCKA as there would be on our Men's coach if they were going along losing more than winning.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 30, 2021, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

The Shocks only have six 20 win seasons in 47 years. 4 of those were in the 2011-12 through the the 2014-15 seasons under Jody Adams before her program imploded with the able assistance of her former boss Dana Eikenberg, who did the same thing previously to the Southern Illinois women's basketball program when Jody was her assistant.

Haleigh Lankster was a senior on the 2011-12 season while Jessica Diamond, Chynna Turner and Jaz Gordon were Juniors. However, the one common denominator for all 4 of those years was Alex Harden and Kelsey Jacobs. Those teams went 20-13, 24-10, 26-7 and 29-5, After Alex and Kelsey graduated the the team fell to 8-22.

HCKA's winning percentage including the 6-1 start against a soft schedule is .462 which is pretty much in line with the .465 winning percentage of the Shocker program over the past 47 years.

A winning tradition is something the WSU WBB program does not really have.

I think it's safe to say there certainly isn't anywhere near the pressure on HCKA as there would be on our Men's coach if they were going along losing more than winning.
            I have no idea how much women's basketball coaches make outside of the perennial top programs, but it seems with HCKA's salary, she should be winning much more than losing. Also, now that UConn is gone, just where does the AAC stack up against other conferences in women's basketball? How does HCKA's salary matchup with comparative programs' coach's salaries?

Comment

It might be time to stir the pot with a what Shocker head coach is the most overpaid in your opinion type question.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

I have no idea how much women's basketball coaches make outside of the perennial top programs, but it seems with HCKA's salary, she should be winning much more than losing. Also, now that UConn is gone, just where does the AAC stack up against other conferences in women's basketball? How does HCKA's salary matchup with comparative programs' coach's salaries?
                Last year in the conference net rankings the AAC was 8th. The Valley was 7th. The AAC appears to be off to a stronger start this year. They are 51-22 so far this year in D-1 games. The Valley is 21-28 in D-1 games so far this year. USF is the cream of the AAC crop for now.

I have long been a proponent of paying coaches much lower base salaries with plenty of pay for performance incentives and that can include athletice and academic goals. Just not sure the marketplace would allow that.

Not sure how HCKA's salary stacks up but I'm guessing she is making about $350,000 per year. these days. Conisidering the level of interest in WSU WBB and the results that seems like a very healthy salary.

Comment

I never thought the talent pool for Women's basketball was all that deep and that the sport has pretty much always been top heavy. That's somewhat true with all women's sports I suppose. But with the growing popularity of volleyball both among female athletes and fans I think the talent pool may be getting even shallower. There are some pretty good looking athletes at play on college volleyball courts many of whom probably would have played basketball 15-20 years ago. Whether or not this theory holds water I don't know for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Last year in the conference net rankings the AAC was 8th. The Valley was 7th. The AAC appears to be off to a stronger start this year. They are 51-22 so far this year in D-1 games. The Valley is 21-28 in D-1 games so far this year. USF is the cream of the AAC crop for now.

I have long been a proponent of paying coaches much lower base salaries with plenty of pay for performance incentives and that can include athletice and academic goals. Just not sure the marketplace would allow that.

Not sure how HCKA's salary stacks up but I'm guessing she is making about $350,000 per year. these days. Conisidering the level of interest in WSU WBB and the results that seems like a very healthy salary.
                    Thanks 1972Shocker . With a little more success, I believe the women's program would be rewarded with appropriate WSU fan interest.

Comment

Shockers Go for Best Start in Program History vs. ORU

https://goshockers.com/news/2021/11/...ry-vs-oru.aspx

This is the kind of gaslighting that I dislike. Does WSU really expect the fan base to get excited about a good start against a strength of schedule currently ranked 347th out of 356 teams?

I'm thinking the Shockers should win this game. ORU lost at SMU 44-81 and lost at Tulsa 55-69.

Tulsa and SMU were picked to finish behind the Shockers (along with Memphis) in the AAC preseason coaches' poll. A loss to ORU would not be a good sign.

Playing at South Dakota next Saturday will provide a much better measuring stick. The best measuring stick so far this year was at UNI and that did not go very well with Shocks imploding in the 2nd half in a 55-87 loss.

I do think this Shocker team has a pretty decent core group of 7 players. Here are the per game scoring averages for these 7 players:

DJ McCarty 10.0
                      Jane Asinde 9.9
                      Asia Strong 9.6
                      Trajata Colbert 9.5
                      Mariah McCully 9.3
                      Seraphine Bastin 8.6
                      Carla Bremaud 6.1

Any one of these 7 players is capable of leading the team in scoring in any one game.

Unfortunately, they don't seem to have much behind this core group so any injuries or player losses from this group would hurt.

The Shockers assist numbers were up in the last 2 games which I liked. However, their turnovers were up to 22 vs Alcorn State and 21 vs Northwestern State which needs to come down by at 30% to 40%.
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 30, 2021, 08:51 PM.

Comment

As anticipated the Shocks knocked of ORU tonight at Koch Arena 78-62.

Mariah McCully and Asia Strong bounced back from poor performances in the last game against Northwestern State to lead the Shocks. Mariah had 24 poitns on 11-19 shooting including 2-3 from 3 point range. Asia had a double-double with 16 points and 10 rebounds. Seraphine Bastin also chipped in 16 points plus 7 boards and 6 assists.

Shocks were a very good 10-12 at the free throw line but regressed back to the mean on their 3 point shooting hitting only 4-16 including 2-3 by Mariah and 2-13 from the rest of the team.

The Shocks also took care of the ball a lot better than they had the last couple of games with only 12 turnovers in this game.

Comment

Shocks took advantage of the fact the ORU center basically couldn't run down the court, certainly not anywhere near as fast as all 5 WSU players, which usually led to an easy basket or at least an easy shot. '72 how did Reagan do? I was only able to see some of the game hit and miss.

Comment

Shocks took advantage of the fact the ORU center basically couldn't run down the court, certainly not anywhere near as fast as all 5 WSU players, which usually led to an easy basket or at least an easy shot. '72 how did Reagan do? I was only able to see some of the game hit and miss.
                            I actually did not watch the game live. Followed the score on live stats. According to the box score Regan only played 4 minutes scoring two points on 1-1 from the field plus 1 turnover.

I will probably watch the replay tonight.

Comment

Irrelevant fact: Tommy Morrison’s daughter plays for ORU.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                                Irrelevant fact: Tommy Morrison’s daughter plays for ORU.
                                That's mind-blowing. Did some sleuthing and found who it was.

Keni Jo Lippe (33) G - SENIOR (2020-21) Named to the All-Summit League Second Team ... Had 12 double-digits games with two 20-plus point games and one 30 point

No mention of Tommy Morrison in her bio, for obvious reasons.
                                "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Working...
                                X