No announcement yet.

Creighton/Drake Road Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't really even comment on this years team. Two years ago I saw exciting fast paced games even if we got beat, but now they seem gruelingly slow and ugly. I grew up in Minnesota when Jane was coaching at Wisconsin and was very suprised and pleased when we hired her. Things even looked good the first couple of years as I thought we got more naturally gifted and athletic players then in the past, but heart, brains and team play mean a lot also. The last two years have been very dissapointing to me.

Comment

Drake is still battling injuries this year.

Brandy Dahir, a 6'1" Senior and a 1,000 point career scorer has been injured and has played in only one game this year.

Also injured is Michelle Anderson, a 6'3" Sophomore forward and Claire Janusz, a 6'5" Freshman Center out of Chicago.

Dahir in particular has scorched the Shocks in the past, so I it could have been worse. We caught Drake a little short-handed today.

:shock:

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
        That just doesn't work. I like Jane, but these types of games are unacceptable. Losing is one thing. Not having a chance is something completely different.
        Agreed. At least this trip probably made it alot easier for JS to pull the pin on letting her go.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock
          Originally posted by SubGod22
          That just doesn't work. I like Jane, but these types of games are unacceptable. Losing is one thing. Not having a chance is something completely different.
          Agreed. At least this trip probably made it alot easier for JS to pull the pin on letting her go.
          It is very, very difficult to make a case for retaining Jane at this point. Actually, that was probably the case at the end of last year, but JS showed great restraint and patience in giving Jane another year IMO.

I don't know if this weekend games have determined her fate but they sure can't help and they sure don't provide any basis for optimism.

Poor perfromances in the upcoming home games vs Southern Illinois and Evansville (picked 5th and 4th in the MVC Preseason polll of the Coaches) just might seal the deal.

Comment

When I went to Shocker Madness I thought the deal was already sealed and JS would be using this season to recruit a coach. Jane was hawking $55 season tickets. Then the Ladies took the court and I saw why the price was so low.
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh
              When I went to Shocker Madness I thought the deal was already sealed and JS would be using this season to recruit a coach. Jane was hawking $55 season tickets. Then the Ladies took the court and I saw why the price was so low.
              Can't tell anything from that. Jane has been hawking season tickets since the day she took the job, including the $29 season tickets a year or two ago to 1st time season ticket buyers. Unfortunately, interest in the program is on the decline because at any price the product being put on the floor is not very entertaining nor competitive right now.

Comment

I had no problem with her coming back this year. Two years ago they played very well and surprised a lot of people. There were a number of injuries they battled through last season so I figured she'd get this one to show something. So far, it hasn't been good. If this continues there will no doubt be someone else coaching the team next season. Even with some improvement, she won't be back. Unless the Lady Shox go on a run and finish at the top of the Valley, I don't see Jane being back next year.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

WSU Women's basketball has become an embarrassment. 30+ point losses leave deep scars. With the resources available to WSU the program should be AT LEAST competitive in the MVC, if not vying for the league championship every season.

I honestly think fans would get behind a winning Women's basketball program here - WINNING being the operative word. I go a couple times a season and just get angry at what I see out there and don't come back.

I respect very much what Jim Schaus has done at WSU in strengthening the athletics programs, but I do not understand his stubbornness when it comes to retaining Jane. Yes, she is a very nice lady - I met her the first week she was on campus and I liked her a lot, still do - but Women's basketball needs to start pulling its weight.

--'85.
                  Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Perhaps, it could be because he refuses to believe that he made a 'mistake' in hiring Jane to begin with, I mean, she certainly had all the credentials for being a potential successful coach, didn't she?

Perhaps, he keeps 'hanging on' to the notion, that, over time, she will be successful, but the proof is in the pudding, and it has been bitter for some time.

It used to seem like the schools in the conference that had weak men's teams would have good women's teams, almost like a 'consolation' prize, but that isn't true anymore.

The top 3 now are ISU, Creighton, and Drake, which have good men's teams going this year too.

Our Athletic Program has changed since Jim has been here, and much to the better, in all of the sports participated in. We have risen in competitiveness in all our sports, men and women's, except for Jane's teams.

If she can't be successful here, then we are, simply, the wrong place for her to be at.

If you are constantly being out-rebounded, and you have guards that can not hit the 3's, or can not finish when they drive, there is a problem, and it does not take a genius to figure that out. Right now, Kiki is the only saving grace for the team.

Comment

Working...
                    X