Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker SB Adds Scrap Yard Blizzard Challenge

Shocker SB Adds Games in Texas

Wichita State's original season-opening tournament in Arlington was canceled, but the Shockers will head to the Lone Star State anyway. Wichita State will now play four games in two days as part of the Scrap Yard Blizzard Challenge in Conroe, Texas. Conroe is about 40 miles north of Houston. They are expecting high temps of 56 on Saturday and 67 on Sunday.

Wichita State will face Tarleton State, Lamar, Texas A&M Corpus Christi and No. 7 Texas Saturday and Sunday at the Scrap Yard Sports Complex.

Sat., Feb. 20 – Wichita State vs. Tarleton State – 12:00 p.m.
    Sat., Feb. 20 – Wichita State vs. Lamar – 2:30 p.m.
    Sun., Feb. 21 – Wichita State vs. Texas A&M Corpus Christi – 11:00 a.m.
    Sun., Feb. 21 – Wichita State vs. Texas – 1:15 p.m.

The Tarleton Texans are members of the WAC and are in their first year as a D-I school. They are picked last of seven teams in the WAC but have two players on the Preseason All-WAC team, Destiny Crumpley and Georgia Capell. Having lost last weekend to weather, these games will open their season.

Lamar are a member of the Southland Conference where the Cardinals are picked eighth of the twelve teams. They are 1-3 on the season, splitting with Houston among those games, before losing the rest of their weekend to weather, a recurring story where Texas is concerned.

Texas A&M-Corpus Christi are also a member of the Southland Conference and are picked eleventh. The Islanders open their season in Conroe.

No. 6 Texas are a pick for second in the Big XII, just one point behind Oklahoma in the preseason poll. Janae Jefferson and Lauren Burke are Longhorns in the preseason All-American conversation. Texas, too, are opening their season. They were hosting a high-profile tournament last weekend that included Arizona and Alabama, but it was lost to the weather.

Texas will clearly be a challenge, but hopefully, the other teams will not be.

The question for the Shockers is can they pitch and play defense.

At this point, there appear not to be any LiveStats for these games. Perhaps some updates will appear on social media, but I don't so those, so I will never know. :)
    Last edited by flyingMoose; February 20, 2021, 09:57 AM.

Comment

RH: Shockers Return High-Powered Offense in 2021

Three questions for Wichita State softball:

"Their leadership is going to be huge," Bredbenner said. "They all felt like they still had something to prove. It's an exciting time for them and their families to get to watch them this one last time and not have last year be the end."

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
        At this point, there appear not to be any LiveStats for these games. Perhaps some updates will appear on social media, but I don't so those, so I will never know. :)
        This Scrap Yard Sports Complex looks like a nice facility but is primarily focused on youth baseball and softball. Sounds like mostly middle school and high school levels based on the mission of the Aegis Fundation which apprarently is the owner fo the facility. So perhaps not surprising they are not equipped for live stats.

However, I looked at the Tarleton, Lamar, Texas A&M-CC and Texas websites. The first thing I noticed is that Oklahoma State is event as well as is North Texas. Texas is only playing two games vs. Wichita State and North Texas. Both those games have links to live stats on the Texas schedule. Oklahoma State is playing Texas A&M-CC twice, North Texas and Tarleton State and all 4 of those games have links to live stats on the Oklahoma State schedule.

So it would appear it is up to each team to provide this is they so choose and have that ability.

So yeah, except for the Texas game, looks like Twitter updates may be the only way to track how the games are going assuming any are tweeted.

Shocker Softball has tweeted the starting lineups for the Tarleton State game.

Starting 2 freshman on the infield. Addison Barnard at 2B and Jessica Garcia at 3B. I'm sure we will see a lot of lineup changes in the tournament. May have to wait for the Texas game to see who HCKB believes are her main starters and #1 pitcher. Good to get these youngsters some game experience.

Sunny and 53 degress with 10 mph winds out of the south at game time with temps to rise to 58 by mid-afternoon. Hope the Shocks can hold up to the heat.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 20, 2021, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Shocks appear to be the home team against Tarleton State.

Shocks go up 2-0 in the 1st only only 1 hit and left 2 on base. So they batted 7. So free passes and maybe errors perhaps came into play. Tarleton State may be a bit nervous playing their first D-1 game.

Comment

A two-run homer by freshman Addison Bernard moves the score to 4-0 after two. Bailey is the starting pitcher.

Neleigh adds a solo shot in the third. 5-0 after three complete.
            Last edited by flyingMoose; February 20, 2021, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Neleigh adds a solo shot in the third. 5-0 after three complete.
              I expect that is the 1st of many more to come this season for Neleigh.

Comment

Three up, three down in the Shocker fourth. Still 5-0.

No new tweets for over 30 minutes now.
                Last edited by flyingMoose; February 20, 2021, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Wichita State Softball
                  @GoShockersSB
                  ·
                  7m
                  E5| Busy inning all around. Tarleton scored 2 runs, 1 unearned. While the shockers had 3 runs on 3 hits and 1 error.

Tarleton St 2
                  WSU 8

Kind of thought the Shocks might run rule this team in 5 but it may be better if Tarleton is actually good enough to provide the Shocks a reasonable level of competition.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 20, 2021, 02:26 PM. Reason: Corrected to add a run for the Shockers in the 5th.

Comment

At least it appears we will get a summary each inning for the non-LiveStats games.

Comment

Tarleton will take the Shocks a full 7 innings.

Wichita State Softball
                      @GoShockersSB
                      ·
                      7m
                      E6| Tarleton State scored 1 on 3 hits while the Shockers score 1 run on 1 hit.

Tarleton 3
                      WSU 9
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 20, 2021, 02:28 PM. Reason: Corrected to Reflect 3 runs for the Shocks in the 5th Inning

Comment

And then there is a correction for the fifth inning, adding a Shocker run I think. This means there was no run in the sixth for the Shocks, or the score is actually 9-3 after six.

Final

Shockers 9-3 Tarleton State

The lines are 9-7-1 for the Shocks and 3-9-1 for the TexAnns (I believed the women's teams are called that. Maybe not for all sports.)

The summary Tweet has the Shockers listed first, suggesting they were the visitors. However, all of the inning Tweets listed Tarleton State first. I agree with 1972Shocker, I think the Shocks were the home team.
                        Last edited by flyingMoose; February 20, 2021, 02:29 PM.

Comment

And then there is a correction for the fifth inning, adding a Shocker run I think. Which means there was no run in the sixth for the Shocks, or the score is actually 9-3 after six.
                          Apparently, the latter is the case. As the home team Shocks did not bat in the bottom of the 7th.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 20, 2021, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Shockers v Lamar

As noted above, Lamar split with Houston last weekend. The Cougars were a 14-1(5) winner in the first game, but the Cardinals won the second game of the DH, 6-4.

Comment

Shockers v Lamar

As noted above, Lamar split with Houston last weekend. The Cougars were a 14-1(5) winner in the first game, but the Cardinals won the second game of the DH, 6-4.
                              I expect to see a few lineup changes with Caitlyn Bingham getting the start for the Shocks. Not sure what to think about Bailey giving up 9 hits to Tarleton. That said their is a lot of talent in Texas however Tarleton State was only 20-30 last year (10-17 in Confernce play) against a totally D-2 schedule.

Comment

Working...
                              X