Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shocks @ Evansville (Thu) and @ SIU (Sat)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I forgot to mention that Crystal did have some nice production off of the bench!

Comment

This fine squad is breaking new ground for Shocker women's basketball. Way to get it done on the road, ladies!

Comment

Chynna with a career high 24, Haleigh with 17 and Jessica with 15 outscored Teri Olliver (23) and Cartaesha Macklin (22) of SIU 56-45 and that was pretty much the difference. Other Salukis defeated the Other Shockers 23-22.

Shocks did not have their best defensive effort today as SIU used dribble drives to get a lot of points and to get to the foul line.

What really kept SIU in the game though was 21 offensive rebounds plus the Shocks were a so-so 25-36 from the line but they did a good job late as they knocked down 11 of their final 12 attempts as SIU started fouling in the last 2:30 of the game. Prior to that they were only 14-24 (58.3%).

I did get my halftime wish as the 2nd half was very similar to the 1st half. The Shocks rushed out to a 14 pointed lead in the 1st 3:15 of the half. After that SIU chipped away until they pulled to within 1 at 60-59 with 6:30 remaining in the game. Fortunately Haleigh, Chynna and Jessica were up to the challenge and carried the Shocks to the win down the stretch.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 21, 2012, 05:29 PM.

Comment

BTW, the commerical after the game indicated that to buy the GA tickets at $4 for next Friday's game with Illinois State you need to buy those by 5:00 pm on Thursday.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
            This fine squad is breaking new ground for Shocker women's basketball. Way to get it done on the road, ladies!
            Getting it done on the road is something the Lady Shocks have not been good at over the last decade. So picking up their 4th MVC road win in 4 tries is big. Still have a lot of tough work to do on the road as trips to DU, CU, MSU, ILS and INS is probably tougher as a group then 4 MVC road games to date. However, we can worry about those when they come around.

For right now let's focus on getting behind the Ladies next weekend at home against ILS and INS who currently each are 4-2 in league play. Drake plays at Indiana State tomorrow and Illinois State hosts Creighton.

Hope the Ladies have a great time savoring this win on the bus trip home.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
              Hope the Ladies have a great time savoring this win on the bus trip home.
              Apparently the Ladies were able to fly home (if not I'd like see the bus they took) since they arrived at half of the men's game to toss some mini-balls to the crowd and to receive some well-deserved accolades.

Great day to be a Shocker!

Comment

Here is a stat you won't see a lot in College Basketball this day and age. The Lady Shocks attempted (and made) only 1 three-pointer.

Perhaps that is a sign of a poor outside shooting team, but it also indicates a team that understands its strenghts and weaknesses and has become more disciplined in shot selection and in working the ball inside. Of course, it helps that Chynna Turner has bought in to being an inside scorer. The Shocks also score a lot of their points, and are probably most effective, in transition off of their defense. That aspect of the game was also on full display in Saturday's win over SIU.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  Here is a stat you won't see a lot in College Basketball this day and age. The Lady Shocks attempted (and made) only 1 three-pointer.

Perhaps that is a sign of a poor outside shooting team, but it also indicates a team that understands its strenghts and weaknesses and has become more disciplined in shot selection and in working the ball inside. Of course, it helps that Chynna Turner has bought in to being an inside scorer. The Shocks also score a lot of their points, and are probably most effective, in transition off of their defense. That aspect of the game was also on full display in Saturday's win over SIU.
                  On the year in the Valley, we take the fewest 3 point attempts by far (39 - the only other school with fewer than 100 attempts is Drake at 58 and that is in 6 games played compared to 7 for WSU). However, we lead the Valley in 3 point shooting percentage at .410. We also lead the Valley in overall shooting percentage. This is a team that knows good shots from bad.
                  "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
                    This is a team that knows good shots from bad.
                    And gets layups from their defense which helps the FG percentage.

Comment

Sunday's Games:

Drake (10-9,4-3) 67 - Indiana State (10-9, 4-3) 59 at Terre Haute, IN

Illinois State (10-8, 5-2) 79 - Creighton (9-9,3-4) 66 at Normal, IL

Illinois State (on Friday @ 7:00pm) and Indiana State (on Sunday @ 2:00pm) visit Koch Arena next weekend to close out the 1st half of MVC play.
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 22, 2012, 05:23 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=1972Shocker;290396]Sunday's Games:

Drake (10-9,4-3) 67 - Indiana State (10-9, 4-3) 59 at Terre Haute, IN

Illinois State (10-8, 5-2) 79 - Creighton (9-9,3-4) 66 at Normal, IL

Illinois State (on Friday @ 7:00pm) and Indiana State (on Sunday @ 2:00pm) visit Koch Arena next weekend to close of the 1st half of MVC play.

It's all going in our favor. Great teams play inside out and don't rely on the 3. It's nice some teams are knocking off others, but all that matters is our winning. What a great tribute to the lady Shox at half-time of the men's game. Keep it going. I was at the men's game and heard some fans say Jody is gone if they win the valley. We have to stop this "Mid-Major" nonsense and stepping stone non-sense. Winning in the Valley and going to the NCAA's is no different than winning in the PAC-12, SEC, Big 12 whatever. Keep it going!!!!

Comment

The game article from the Carbondale Southern.

Comment

The latest RPIs from the NCAA have the Shocks at 74 (actually T73, but you can't see that on their site), down from 67. Missouri State moved from 51 to 69. The Women's Mid-Major Top 25 are out tomorrow.

Comment

A nice article in today's paper about the growth of the team.

Comment

First, let me say I’m excited for the future of women’s basketball… it’s been a long time coming. We have the pieces in place to accomplish some lofty goals this season and beyond.

Now it’s WstateU rant time:

A women’s basketball supporter was on the channel 12 news last night whining about the lack of attendance and support for women’s basketball. I’m sorry, the women have been dreadful for so long it will take time before many people get off their duffs and support them. Yes, they seem like a great group of young women and are worthy of the communities support, however I say patience, patience, patience and win, win, win!

I just don’t like people whining about a lack of support… earn it!

I’ve said this before, “If they continue to win, people will come”
                                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                                X