Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shocks @ Evansville (Thu) and @ SIU (Sat)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks @ Evansville (Thu) and @ SIU (Sat)

If we are are to be contenders and not pretenders than we certainly can't afford to lose to Evansville and SIU, the two worst teams in the conference. We did beat both teams on the road last year (although Evansville got us at home).

The Shocks just need to keep grinding and bringing the intensity on defense. However, the Shocks because of their inconsistency on offense, are the kind of team that can beat anyone in this league but they also are capable of losing to any team in this league. This team, however, does seem much more capable of playing well on the road than Shocker teams of the past decade have been.

Indiana State (4-1) hosts Creighton and Drake this week. The Sycamores will be favored to win both of those games so the Shocks need to hold serve on the road to maintain their 1 game lead.

The scouting report on Evansville is pretty straightforward and simple.

Samantha Heck 6'2" Sr F/C and 5'11" Sr G/F Briyana Blair are the players to control for Evansville (4-13, 1-5).

Heck averages 13.8 ppg and 6.2 rpg. Blair averages 10.5 ppg and 9.9 rpg. Heck is probably their most consistent player. Blair is their best athlete and most explosive player. In their only conference win, 71-59 over Bradley at home, Heck scored 21 and grabbed 9 rebounds while Blair added 19 points and 20 rebounds. (If Blair would have just let Heck have one of her rebounds they would have had a double double-double). They each were 7-8 from the line in that game. Meagan Collins, a 6'0" Jr F, added 10 points against Bradley and is averaging 8.1 ppg on the season.

Evansville is averaging 19 turnovers a game so the Shockers' pressure defense might be able to do some damage and generate some transition points for the Shocks.

Evansville shoots only 26.7% from behind the arc. Blair is only 6-46 (.130) on her three-point attempts.

Shocks need to keep following the formula they have been using. Tough, 94 feet of pressure defense and team oriented offense that works for good shots. Shocks need to rebound better than they did against MSU also.

Good luck Ladies.

:poster_shocks:
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 19, 2012, 04:04 PM.

Comment

HCJA has put in a new offense. This one focuses entirely on getting the ball in to the posts. It limits the perimeter screens and slashes to the rim. This is probably the reason for our slow start. Maybe the reason for the new sets is to throw in a new wrinkle for other teams to deal with. Sigh, I sure hope this is a good thing.
      History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it - Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Shocks with another good defensive effort in the 1st half holding Evansville to 18 points, but they needed it because they also struggled to score for most of the half. The Shocks trailed at 14-18 when Krystle Henderson got us going with a trey. The Shocks finished off the half on an 11-0 run and take a 25-18 lead into the half.

Missouri State in a real dogfight with SIU leading 40-37 at the half.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoopzdad View Post
          HCJA has put in a new offense. This one focuses entirely on getting the ball in to the posts. It limits the perimeter screens and slashes to the rim. This is probably the reason for our slow start. Maybe the reason for the new sets is to throw in a new wrinkle for other teams to deal with. Sigh, I sure hope this is a good thing.
          @Hoopzdad:, are we using this new offense for the 1st time tonight against Evansville?

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            @Hoopzdad, are we using this new offense for the 1st time tonight against Evansville?
            Yes sir. They put it in this past week.
            History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it - Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

I thought we had actually been focusin on getting the ball into the high/low posts since getting blown out by K-State - vastly cutting down on 3 pt attempts.

Comment

SIU up 3 with 8:30 to go ....Shocks up 3 and Jody calls at TO to stop an Aces 4 point run.

Comment

Shocks struggling to score tonight. Not sure if it's the new offense or if they are just having a poor shooting night.

Shocks did build a 10 point lead at 41-31 but Evansville has cut the lead to 45-42 with 6 minutes remaining.

Comment

SIU up 1 on the Bears and Shocks up 1 on the Aces.

Comment

Evansville hitting all their FT's and Shocks missing front ends of 1 and 1's. Haleigh missed her 1st free throw of the year in MVC play after having made her first 23. Shocks can not make anything from the field. Shocks hanging on for dear life at 45-44 but I just don't know where the points are going to come from to win this game. Evansville ball with just under 4 minutes to go.

Comment

SIU up 6 with the ball, under 6 minutes to go. Shocks up 1 under 4 and with the ball.

Comment

Shocks tied under 3 with the ball, MSU down 8 at the 5 minute mark.

Comment

Jessica Diamond with a big bucket and then a steal....Shocks ball 2 minutes to go up 2.

Comment

Shocks headed to the line, up 4 with 46 seconds left.

Comment

Working...
                              X