Lady Shocks Open MVC Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lady Shocks Open MVC Play

We don't have to wait long to see if the Lady Shocks will be contenders or pretenders in MVC play this year as the go on the road to UNI (tonight @ 7:00) and Bradley (Saturday @ 2:00).

UNI the runaway winner of the MVC last year and probably would have been the favorite this year had Jacqui Kalin, last year's MVC POY, not been injured. Still UNI is picked to finish 2nd in the league and is still a very solid team. UNI is 7-3 and a coming off a 57-84 drubbing at the hands of Iowa State in Ames so they are no doubt anxious to wash the taste of that game away.

Bradley has the best record in the MVC at 9-3 and is perhaps the surprise of the league so far.
    They beat Iowa 96-88 at home a couple of weeks ago. UNI lost at home to Iowa 78-74.

Bradley defeated Winthrop 71-61 on the road and Central Michigan 86-79 on the road. The Shocks defeated Winthrop 71-69 at home and lost to Central Michigan 58-49 at home.

In three of there last 4 games Bradley is averaging 91.7 points putting up 86 against Central Michigan, 96 in the home win over Iowa and 93 in a home win over Western Illinois.

If the Shocks can somehow steal a win on this road swing it will be a very successful trip.

Aslong as they are aggressive early I believe they will be ok. Can't wait to see next years team!!!

Comment

From RealTimeRPI.com:

RPI

85 Bradley
      135 Shockers
      136 UNI

Power Ratings

64 Bradley 50.11
      127 UNI 45.05
      144 Shockers 43.75

From the Women's Mid-Major Top 25:

RV Bradley (32nd)
      10 UNI

All, FWIW, but it appears getting a win out of this trip would be a good result.
      Last edited by flyingMoose; December 29, 2011, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Happy birthday, Coach...

...your team just gave you a fabulous first half, killing 'em on the boards and up by 15 at the half! Hope we can keep it up!

Comment

Shocks close out the 1st half on a 20-4 run to take a 37-22 lead over UNI.

Hopefully, the Lady Shocks can hang on for a big road win to open MVC play.

Haleigh has 12 points on 5-6 shooting and the Shocks have outrebounded UNI 21-11.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 29, 2011, 08:35 PM.

Comment

I dont believe in jinx's so I will say now that I feel real good about this game :unconscious:
            History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it - Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Hoopzdad View Post
              I dont believe in jinx's so I will say now that I feel real good about this game :unconscious:
              :good:

Comment

Shocks win in Cedar Falls for the 1st time since 1998 by a resounding 67-40.

Chynna leads the way with 13 points and 12 rebounds (I think) and I believe Haleigh chipped in 14 points.

Great start to the MVC season.

Not sure what the home folks fed the Shocker girls and boys over the Christmas break but maybe we should find out and put that on the training table.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  Not sure what the home folks fed the Shocker girls and boys over the Christmas break but maybe we should find out and put that on the training table.
                  Amen!
                  History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it - Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

GREAT WIN, LADY SHOCKS!!! :yahoo:

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                      GREAT WIN, LADY SHOCKS!!! :yahoo:
                      Fantastic!

Comment

Happy Birthday, Jody!!! If we sweep; the Valley is ours!!!!

Comment

Missouri State built a 16-point halftime lead over Bradley and hung on to be the Braves 79-70. I think beating Bradley will prove to be a much tougher task than the Shocks had tonight vs UNI.

Comment

Shocks interior players with perhaps their best peformance of the season at UNI. Chynna with 13 points on 5-6 FG's + 3-4 FT's and 12 rebounds in 27 minutes while Jaz chipped in 12 points on 6-6 FG's and 6 rebounds in 26 minutes.

As a team the Shocks absolutely dominate the boards 43-21.

The Shocks who have not historically been a good road team have now won 4 in a row away from Koch Arena (3 Road Games and 1 Neutral Court Game).

Not seeing the game it is har to say how much of UNI's offensive woes were due to them playing/shooting badly and how much was due to the Shocks defense. I have to believe the Shocks aggressiveness on defense certainly had to contribute to the dominate win.

Very nice job ladies. Good luck at Bradley.

:poster_shocks:

Comment

I watched it on Shocker Vision. The Shox defensive intensity was there for almost the entire 40 minutes. The occasional let down only lasted a few seconds. Haleigh attacked the rim, Chrystal did a very nice job getting the ball inside. A fun team to watch.

Comment

Working...
                              X