No announcement yet.

Wichita State vs. # 20 LSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probably was the best team we will face this year (unless we make the NCAA Tournament) and they were not only long, they were strong and athletic and pretty good shooters also. Jody shortened her bench a little tonight to try an stay with this talented opponent and as The Mad Hatter stated we wore down a little bit at the end.

This was a very well played and hard played women's basketball game and it was quite entertaining. Not sure what the Shocks final turnover numbers were but I thought they did a nice job of valuing the ball especially considering the traps and tough defense that this long and athletic LSU team played.

The Shocks were not far from pulling a major, major upset. Good game plan by Jody with good execution and great effort by the Shocker team.

A lot of growing up tonight. I think we have found our point guard of the present and future in Krystle Henderson. Kesley Jacobs had to gain a lot of confidence tonight and the more I see of Alex Harden the more I like her.

This is the kind of basketball fans can embrace IMHO. Hopefully the Ladies continue to progress and grow.

:poster_shocks:

Comment

Jaz did struggle tonight. I think she the size and physicality of LSU got in her mind a little. Not sure she scored from the field although she was getting some nice looks from just inside the free throw line. This was just a really tough matchup for Jaz and LSU can just send in one big strong athlete after another.

Still a couple of more shots fall for the Shocks and eliminate the LSU banked in trey and the trey that was offline and bounce around before falling through and the Shocks might be celebrating tonight.

Comment

Here is the box score from the LSU web site:

In addition to Jaz, Haleigh had a tougher shooting night than I realized. 14 assists vs 10 turnovers for the Shocks was very good against this team. Got to give LSU a lot of credit for holding the Shocks to 30.8% from the field while the Tigers shot 61.5% from the field. Hard to believe we were in the game at all. Our big turnover advantage (10 vs 22) and poor free throw shooting (8-19) by LSU were key factors in the Shocks staying in this game.

Comment

I was very impressed with this game. LSU was the most athletic team I have seen in along while, and when they scored they made it look effortless. However, WSU, and especially Diamond, hit just enough outside shots to keep the Shocks in it. Was also very impressed with Jacobs' floor sense.

The key for this season will be taking road games against teams they should beat, which will be most Valley opponents. This bunch has the tools. They nearly pulled the upset against an SEC power (and I can't emphasize enough how much I appreciate them coming HERE to play).

Comment

[QUOTE=1972Shocker;273723]Here is the box score from the LSU web site:

In addition to Jaz, Haleigh had a tougher shooting night than I realized. 14 assists vs 10 turnovers for the Shocks was very good against this team. Got to give LSU a lot of credit for holding the Shocks to 30.8% from the field while the Tigers shot 61.5% from the field. Hard to believe we were in the game at all. Our big turnover advantage (10 vs 22) and poor free throw shooting (8-19) by LSU were key factors in the Shocks staying in this game.

The Shox are for real!! The three is nice, but we need to pound it inside. Kelsey, Jaz and China many times were open, but the guards didn't get them the ball. After coming off of major knee surgery followed by a stress fracture in her back, Kelsey is showing what she is capable of. This team can win the Valley!!

Comment

Originally posted by oldtimewomen's hoopcoach View Post
              The three is nice, ...

Sounds like the threes were a major part of the game plan.

Comment

Originally posted by Apewatcher View Post
                They nearly pulled the upset against an SEC power (and I can't emphasize enough how much I appreciate them coming HERE to play).
                LSU was picked fourth in the SEC, behind Tennessee, Kentucky and Georgia.

Comment

They nearly pulled the upset against an SEC power (and I can't emphasize enough how much I appreciate them coming HERE to play).
                  It was a little bit of a fluke that we got this game. LSU was schedule to play Central Michigan (who had an oustanding team last year) but Central Michigan misinterpreted how many exempt games they had and ended up over the maximum number of games allowed and had to cancel their game with LSU. Fortunately, Nikki Caldwell and Jody Adams are good firends and Jody participated in Nikki's Champions For a Cause cross-country motorcycle ride this summer and the Shocks were able to land this game. It will be interesting to see if we get the opportunity to play LSU again in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                    LSU was picked fourth in the SEC, behind Tennessee, Kentucky and Georgia.
                    That's what the LSU fan I talked to after the game said. Still, I was talking traditionally, including recently (the Sylvia Fowles era wasn't that long ago).

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                      It was a little bit of a fluke that we got this game. LSU was schedule to play Central Michigan (who had an oustanding team last year) but Central Michigan misinterpreted how many exempt games they had and ended up over the maximum number of games allowed and had to cancel their game with LSU. Fortunately, Nikki Caldwell and Jody Adams are good firends and Jody participated in Nikki's Champions For a Cause cross-country motorcycle ride this summer and the Shocks were able to land this game. It will be interesting to see if we get the opportunity to play LSU again in the future.
                      Cool background information. Thanks.

Comment

That's what the LSU fan I talked to after the game said. Still, I was talking traditionally, including recently (the Sylvia Fowles era wasn't that long ago).
                        Sorry, I did not make myself clear. I think fourth in the SEC definitely makes you a power. I was just "documenting" your statement.

Comment

I was very impressed with the effort and heart of this WSU team! Rough shooting night for Haleigh but the others stepped up tremendously. I ws very impressed with the confidence our underclassmen played with. I do think HCJA wasw a little spastic and quick on the trigger with some of the substituitons but the game flowed nicely.
                          Spoke with Haleigh and she naturally frustrated with her fg % and said LSU did a great job of plugging up the middle to keep her from slashing in.
                          A tough loss indeed but this team gained a lot of respect.
                          Oh well, as Barry Switzer was fond of saying, "Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you."
                          History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it - Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

[QUOTE=Hoopzdad;273849]I was very impressed with the effort and heart of this WSU team! Rough shooting night for Haleigh but the others stepped up tremendously. I ws very impressed with the confidence our underclassmen played with. I do think HCJA wasw a little spastic and quick on the trigger with some of the substituitons but the game flowed nicely.
                            Spoke with Haleigh and she naturally frustrated with her fg % and said LSU did a great job of plugging up the middle to keep her from slashing in.
                            A tough loss indeed but this team gained a lot of respect.
                            Oh well, as Barry Switzer was fond of saying, "Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you.

Haleigh had good shot selection, just didn't fall like usual. She's a big time player!! If the Shox would spend more time on getting the ball to the wide open posts, it would open up opportunities on the outside; not just threes, but strong drives to the rim. The Shox created a buzz in Shockerville; they build on this and we will win the Valley!! I walked through Koch Arena by chance today and saw a couple of minutes of practice; they were working on getting the ball inside. I like pound it inside and it will open up the outside. Sorry, I'm old; I first played the game when the key was shaped as a key.

Comment

Haha..I agree oldtimewomen's hoopcoach! Inside game WILL open up the outside. The opposite of that is true also. When a team starts nailing it from the perimeter, it tends to open up the posts but yes, its best when we can start by pounding it inside.
                              History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it - Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                              X