No announcement yet.

Shocker SB in the Polls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I realize there's essentially just 3 of us posting here, but would I be amiss in my understanding that we didn't expect this kind of success from the team this year?

And that the strength of this team is somewhat far above the expectations?

I'm just curious, if my assumptions are close to being accurate........why? Did we really upgrade the talent that much?

Comment

Somebody else asked that question a while back although finding that now may be a challenge. They have exceeded my expectations. The really big question mark coming into the season was our pitching and who knows where we would be if Bailey Lange had not transferred in from UNI. Bailey Klitzke has been much better than she was last year and Caitlyn Binghahm has has some good outings as a freshman and appears to be progressing. The pitching has had its ups and owns but overall I think it has been about as good could be expected.

Generally, the Shockers have had good hitting teams under Kristi Bredbenner. We did lose Kelli Spring from last year who was a very good lead off hitter and table setter and pretty decent defensive 2nd basemen, Mackenzie Adams who had a pretty good senior year last year, Macklin Hitz who had 8 home runs and 37 RBI and Ashley Johnson our 9-hole slapper and starting CF. In addition to those losses our hitting coach Nicole (Hudson) Entz moved on to other things and was replaced by Elizabeth Economan, former Pitt State head coach.

I thought the offense got off to a bit of a slow and inconsistent start but they have come on like gangbusters. As I have previously noted this is not of bunch of slappers. The ladies are swinging the bats for maximum damage. The Shockers have hit 55 home runs this year compared to 18 for their opponents. After a slow start Sr. Mackenzie Wright has come on like gangbusters in AAC play and if the Shocks win the AAC Mckenzie might well be a candidate for player of he year. The Shockers have 6 players with 6 to 10 home runs not including Mackenzie who is more of a line drive hitter and has 4 home runs. So. Ryleigh Buck has probably made the biggest improvement year-over-year, Jr. Laurie Derrico continues to have a stellar career, So. Madison Perrigan followed up a strong fresshman year with another good year this year, Jr. transfer Bailey Lange has not only been a key in the circle but she has had a good year at the plate as well as a two-way player. Fr. Bailee Nickerson has had a very good season at the plate as well with 7 home runs. Really like Bailee's stroke.

The areas that I think have hurt the Shocks have been too many free passes (walks and hit batters) and wild pitches by the pitching staff and too many untimely errors by the defense.

Overall though I give them at least a B+ and that will have to go up if they win or tie for the AAC Championship. I would say it has been a very entertaining team especially the way the swing the bats.

BTW, the Shocks were 32-20 (0.615) and they are 29-18 (0.617) so far this year. The AAC has an average RPI of 66 this year while the Valley's average RPI this year is 128.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 1, 2018, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Looking ahead to next year we have all of our pitching back compared to this year when we essentially had none of pitching returning.

We lose 3 seniors, Paige Luellen, Morgan Palmer and Mackenzie Wright. Paige has had a very good Shocker career and is the all-time RBI leader at WSU alhtough Laurie Derrico will probalby pass her next year. Morgan was a Juco transfer who played very little last year but has played quite a bit this year. She is a good defensive outfielder but not a strong hitter. Replacing Mackenzie Wright might be a real challenge. Mackenzie is as aggressive as they come on the softball diamond and checks all the boxes. + hitter, + defender, + baserunner and from what I can tell + leader.

The play she made with the bases loaded to end the 2nd inning of the rubber game against ECU was oustanding IMHO and she has made many of those at the hot corner in her careesr:

You can see that ECU play most clearly on the ECU replay at around the 54 minute mark (notice she was not initially able to secure the ball):

Video: vs. Wichita State. Softball vs (RV) Wichita State on 4/29/2018
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 1, 2018, 03:02 PM.

Comment

• ShockTalk
        ShockTalk commented
        Editing a comment
        That was one heck of a play, particularly if we remember that was on a softball field and where she was playing up the line. Bang, bang play is an understatement.

The RPI list of the AAC teams through games of May 6 with last week's RPI in parentheses followed by the conference record:

32 - Shockers (31) 12-9
      35 - Houston (44) 13-8
      42 - South Florida (43) 14-7
      59 - Tulsa (52) 10-11
      61 - Central Florida (61) 12-9
      77 - Memphis (74) 10-11
      89 - East Carolina (85) 8-13
      136 - UConn (136) 5-16

The AAC seems to have a good chance of getting three teams into the NCAA Tournament.

The Shockers are no longer RV in the Coaches Poll. USF is RV T31 with eight votes, and Houston is T34 with two votes.

The ESPN Poll is yet to come.
      Last edited by flyingMoose; May 8, 2018, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X