No announcement yet.

New softball coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is interesting how much attention the change in the leadership of the WSU softball program is getting.

A comment Coach B made in the goShockers.com video clip was interesting:

the ceiling is pretty high on these girls as far as improvement goes
    Not sure whether that is just a statement of optimism or if that is an indication that they are starting from a pretty low level and simply have a lot of work to do to get to where they should be. Maybe a little bit of both.

Based on the player comments that have been reported, I get the sense the maybe Pooch was just a little bit too laid back with a Que Sera Sera approach although I don't know for sure that was the case.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
      A comment Coach B made in the goShockers.com video clip was interesting:

the ceiling is pretty high on these girls as far as improvement goes
      Not sure whether that is just a statement of optimism or if that is an indication that they are starting from a pretty low level and simply have a lot of work to do to get to where they should be. Maybe a little bit of both.
      Yeah, "I see the potential, but we have a lot of hard work ahead of us to get there."

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
      Based on the player comments that have been reported, I get the sense the maybe Pooch was just a little bit too laid back with a Que Sera Sera approach although I don't know for sure that was the case.
      I was told that his list of rules was on two sheets of paper rather than the one-inch binder that Walton had (all figuratively speaking ... maybe). But I have seen SIO video clips where the most often used one-word description of Pooch by the girls was "Intense". Hard to know.

Comment

It is hard to know for sure. I kind of had to chuckle because in the goShockers.com video Coach B said:

we started off slow
        then in the Eagle article Sloan was quoted as saying:

"We're definitely working really, really hard," pitcher Sloan Anderson said. "First day, I think we were all a little shell-shocked
        In any case, I think it will be a real challenge for this team to top the 20 wins of last season. But it will be interesting to follow and I really hope they prove me wrong on this outlook.

Comment

If Steuver is healthy, look for her to be in the lineup come spring. One word. "Speed"

Winning more than 20 games this year depends on two things. 1. Who calls the pitches and 2. Where the pitcher actually throws them.

On the 18th, which is the day after the Shocks have a scrimmage I believe, Three KC area teams will be in El Dorado. Zyphers, Rockets, and Peppers 18A team. Many of the Olathe girls play on these teams if anyone wants to look at HS talent from the KC area.

Remember, if they don't respect your heat, nothing else will work.

Comment

Well, I see typical statements from a coach and players. Every time there is a new coach on any level in any sport these are the typical responses. What do you expect the girls to say..."We aren't working hard...coach is awful." they are going to say the right things. I just remember hearing that Pooch was intense...but he was also fair. Or, there are always the athletes who can't handle when a coach is tough. At this level...you have to be intense and tough. I also remember the last time we hired a D2 woman...Judy Favor...and we all saw what happened with her. We'll see come spring. Fall games won't tell a whole lot as everyone plays and coaches are always trying different line ups. Wish the team well, but as I said, we'll see come spring how this team changes.

Comment

No doubt there is a lot of coach-speak and player-speak involved. I agree that you generally can't tell too much from fall scrimmages, although you would hope that at a very minimum they hold their own against that level of competition.

Comment

Originally posted by whatevershock
                I also remember the last time we hired a D2 woman...Judy Favor...and we all saw what happened with her.
                I understand that you are underwhelmed, but until demonstrated otherwise, the similarities between Coach B and JF start and end right there. I mean, Coach B did not have a revolt of her team in her last year at Emporia State that required the intervention of the AD? school president? (I forget which) to even complete the season. That is a difference from JF right there.

Comment

Working...
                X