New softball coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New softball coach?

The word I am hearing is that we hired Kristi Bredbenner from Emporia State Univ.
    I also heard that WSU would not consider hiring a male. So the question is, did we hire the best available coach or the best available female?

If this is the case, I wish her much success! I am however, a bit underwhelmed.

If "they" whoever that is, would not consider hiring a male and it can be proven, I wonder if that is basis for a lawsuit?

I don't care one way or the other if a successful softball coach is a male or a female, I just want to be certain they got the best qualified person available for the job and the "successful" part of the description right!

:wsu_posters:

Comment

This did get my attention... 8)

"In 2006 she led the Hornets to the NCAA Division II National Championship game last season. Her squad finished with a record of 62-7 which set the MIAA record for wins in a season. Bredbenner and her staff were named the NCFA/Speedline Regional Coaching Staff of the Year."
      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I think 2006 was her first season and she took over a team that had made it to the national championship final game the previous year. However, it looks like she has done a pretty good job maintaining that level of play.

Comment

Most qualified? Absolutely not. She will get a real eye opening when she hits the road and starts competing in the recruiting war with the likes of World Series teams OSU and OU. She is no longer competing with the likes of Fort Hays State and her other conference foes. How about this question from a recruit. How many years have you coached at the Division I level? All I know is she better hire someone who people will come to WSU to get them better. If not it will be along three years. Good Luck to WSU softball and ladies make the best of it.

Comment

Where do you think D-l coaches come from. Did you expect Walton to come back or someone of his calibar.

Comment

Why not?

We got someone of his "calibar" when he came. :D

Comment

Originally posted by 1B29
                She will get a real eye opening when she hits the road and starts competing in the recruiting war with the likes of World Series teams OSU and OU.

I'm sorry, I must have missed it when we were regularly winning these recruiting wars against the likes of World Series teams OSU and OU.

Comment

All I know is that I will be in the stands regardless. However, I also know that SEC and Big 12 vacancies are usually filled with either former D1 Head Coaches or Successful D1 Assistant coaches that has proven to be an intricate part of a winning program. Oh I forgot I mentioned that bad word "winning".

Comment

The official announcement:

Comment

Though the current consensus appears to be in JohnnieB's "underwhelmed" camp, I will point out again that Coach Bredbenner's hire is in the Brent Vigness mold: he has Midwestern roots, did well at D-II Assumption College in Massachusetts, came to Creighton and has done very well there.

I am looking forward to her doing well at Wichita State.

Comment

Seems lije a very solid hire to me.

Comment

Did you guys not liking the hire miss the spot about being an assistant at a D-1 school that made the Big Dance in 2004?? Give her a couple years to recruit and see how she manages the team before u pass judgment.

"Before coming to ESU Bredbenner spent the last three seasons as the top assistant at UC-Santa Barbara. Working with players in all aspects of the game, she played an instrumental role in guiding the Gauchos to their first ever NCAA Tournament appearance in 2004 and a second place finish in the tough Big West Conference--the highest finish in UCSB history"

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose
                            Though the current consensus appears to be in JohnnieB's "underwhelmed" camp, I will point out again that Coach Bredbenner's hire is in the Brent Vigness mold: he has Midwestern roots, did well at D-II Assumption College in Massachusetts, came to Creighton and has done very well there.

I am looking forward to her doing well at Wichita State.
                            I would compare it more to the Judy Favor mold. Female coach from a successful D2 program in the mid-west and has the same coaching style.

Comment

Since it is apparently official...."here's to wishing her and our Shockers the very best!"

Congratulations Coach now get busy and get recruiting!

Comment

Working...
                              X