Shocker SB at Texas Invitational

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shockers 7-5 Texas

The game writeup is here and the LiveStats are still up.

Bailey got lit up in the second for four runs.

The comeback started with Laurie's two-out, two-run double in the third. Caitlin struggled mightily in relief in the bottom half, giving up a run before BaileyK came on to get the last two outs.

The Shockers continued to pound the second-line pitching of the Horns, Ryleigh hitting a bases-loaded, bases-clearing double to tie the game in the fourth at 5-5. Her hit brought on the second of the secondary pitchers in relief.

In the fifth, a Madison triple, Asea single, sac bunt and Morgan single scored two more runs and gave the Shocks their 7-5 lead and the final score. The #2 pitcher for Texas came on to close out the fifth and the Shocker scoring.

BaileyK gave up a single, hit batter and walk for the only baserunners in her 4.2 innings of relief to get the win. Just a great effort after her really, really awful start to the season.

Ryleigh had a double and single and three RBI. Morgan had two singles, and Laurie had her double and two RBI. Madison's triple was the other extra base hit.

Aww, rats!! Now I found the "missing page" of the thread with the Good Doctor's report off the Longhorn Network. My bad.
    Last edited by flyingMoose; February 24, 2018, 08:19 AM.

Comment

• WuDrWu
      WuDrWu commented
      Editing a comment
      Nothing bad about your coverage and write ups all the time. I had a 3 hour coughing fit last night during which I realized the game was on the Longhorn network. It really was a fun game. Klitzke pitched so well. Being the first time I've seen them this season, it's hard to imagine the lousy start.

And I for one really appreciate what flyingMoose and 1972Shocker do in covering and supporting the "other" sports. You guys are great!

Shockers v Michigan

Mackenzie - 3b
    Ryleigh - 1b
    Bailee - cf
    Laurie - ss
    Madison - c
    Caitlin - dp
    Asea - rf
    Bailey - p
    Morgan - lf
    Kaylee - 2b

Meghan Baubein, the #1 for the Wolverines, is in the circle.

Comment

Bailee has a single in the first for the only Shocker runner.

Bailey's struggles from yesterday continue. Bunt single, sac bunt, wild pitch and walk, single to score one, double to score another and Caitlin is in with one out and runners at second and third. The Shocks get one out at the plate, but a single scores the third Wolverine of the inning. The beating goes on: a double scores one and a single scores two more. Mercifully, the inning ends with a caught-stealing. Coach Hutchins sent her slowest runner just to get out of the inning?

Michigan lost the game just before this one to Virginia Tech by 1-0(8). They may be a bit grumpy.

Michigan 6-0 after one.

Comment

The lead is now 9-0 after two: a two-run triple followed by a single.

Comment

Mckenzie Weber makes her Shocker debut in the circle in the third, giving up only a walk.

Still 9-0 after three.

Comment

This may finish before I leave for WBB after all.

The Wolverines bring in another pitcher to start the fourth, and the Shockers begin to break out the pinch-hitters. Neleigh gets a two-out walk and Ashton follows with a single, but Bethany cannot get anyone home.

Two more Michigan runs on three hits.

Michigan now leads 11-0 after four.
            Last edited by flyingMoose; February 24, 2018, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Cassidy, Mckenzie (not a pinch-hitter) and Mauriana are all outs to end the game by the runs-ahead rule.

Shockers 0-11(5) Michigan

Not much to talk about. Two singles and no pitching.

Comment

Other Saturday Games

Virginia Tech 1-0(8) Michigan

Texas 3-2 Virginia Tech

Ohio State 8-5 Texas
                A two-out grand slam homer in the top of the seventh off the Texas ace is the winning blow. Piper had walked to load the bases.
                Last edited by flyingMoose; February 24, 2018, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Ohio State v Shockers

Bailee - cf
                  Mackenzie - 3b
                  Ryleigh - 1b
                  Laurie - ss
                  Madison - c
                  Caitlin - p
                  Asea - rf
                  Neleigh - dp
                  Morgan - lf
                  Kaylee - 2b

This is the first start for Neleigh. Caitlin again gets the start in the circle. Paige has not played since early last weekend. No idea of the issue which I assume is physical.

Morgan Ray is pitching for the Buckeyes.
                  Last edited by flyingMoose; February 24, 2018, 08:40 PM.

Comment

A double and two-out single plates a run for Ohio State in the first.

Buckeyes lead 1-0 after one.

Comment

With two outs, Caitlin reaches on an error and moves to second on a wild pitch. A single by Asea can only move her to third, and Neleigh fans to end the inning.

OSU still lead 1-0 after two. (No, the OSU up north.)

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                        1972Shocker commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Oregon State? :-)

• flyingMoose
                        flyingMoose commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I lived in that part of the world for a short while and kept wondering why all these people were interested in Oklahoma State.

A triple and wild pitch scores another run for the Buckeyes.

A walk to Morgan and single by Mackenzie create a Shocker threat, but Ryleigh grounds into a DP.

Ohio State lead 2-0 after three.

Comment

After a walk and one-out single, Mckenzie is in to pitch. Interestingly, Hailey has not made an appearance this weekend.

A double scores one run and a single scores another, leaving runners at the corners. After two batters and two hits off Mckenzie, Hailey is on to pitch.

After an out at the plate on a ground out, a single, an error and a single each score another run. Another single scores two more and the lead is 9-0.

Seven runs score in the half-inning, three of them unearned.

9-0 after four.
                        Last edited by flyingMoose; February 24, 2018, 09:56 PM.

Comment

BaileyK is on to start the fifth. She gets three strikeouts with a walk mixed in. Does she win the audition for the start tomorrow against Virginia Tech, or is Bailey still a possibility?

A Buckeye reliever gets three-up, three-down in the fifth.

Ohio State 9-0(5) Shockers

For today, same song, second verse.

Comment

Virginia Tech 2-5 Shockers

BaileyK got the start but did not last long, giving up one hit and four walks in 1.1 innings. An error and two of the walks loaded the bases and brought on Hailey in the second. She gave up a single to score one run for the Hokies with Morgan cutting down a second run at the plate on the single. VT leads 1-0 after two.

The Shockers scored four in third to take the lead. Bailee was hit by a pitch, Mackenzie singled and Ryleigh loaded the bases when her sac bunt was misplayed. A walk to Asea scored one run and Caitlin singled in two more. After a pitching change, Madison doubled home one more. Shocker take the lead, 4-1 after three.

A single by Bailee, ground out, single by Ryleigh and an error scored another run in the fourth for the Shocks.

Caitlin came in to start the seventh in the circle.

Virginia Tech scored a run on a double, ground out and fielder's choice before a strikeout ended the game.

Hailey pitched 4.2 scoreless innings, giving up four hits, no walks and getting one strikeout.

Mackenzie, Ryleigh and Caitlin all had two singles with two RBI by Caitlin. Madison's double was the only extra-base hit.

With Bailey being a non-factor this weekend, I wonder if she is dinged up somehow, blisters for example.

It seems the offense is overmatched by the top two of the rotation of a "P5" staff. They seem to be able to compete against the bottom of that rotation and most mid-major and lower staffs.

After Bailey, the Shocker staff is young and shows it. You are never quite sure what you are going to get. But they all have shown instances of being very competitive, and it will just take some time to gain the experience. I expect the staff to be capable by the time conference arrives.

The offense? I don't know - they remain a mystery to me. I expected more from the returning starters.
                            Last edited by flyingMoose; February 25, 2018, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X