No announcement yet.

2017 WBB Non-Conference Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

glad to see them get that first win and start the climb upward!

Comment

It may be too early in the season for RPI's to mean too much but AAC women's basketball ranks 9th among 32 conferences in RPI despite have #1 UConn and 4 other Top 100 RPI teams.

The 5 Top 100 RPI teams in the AAC are: #1 UConn, #19 South Florida, #36 UCF, #84 Houston and #96 Tulane. After that it drops of to #178 SMU followed by #182 WSU.

Memphis is 312 and ECU at 330.

Of course, things could be worse. The MVC is currently ranked 30th in conference RPI ahead of only the WAC and MEAC but not by much.

Again it is really early and this early RPI rankings probably don't mean much. The Valley's bottom 5 teams have RPI's between 300 and 348. These 5 teams are a combined 5-13 against SOS's ranging between 296 to 346 greatly contributing to the Valley's conference SOS ranking of #32 (or dead last).
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 28, 2017, 05:56 PM.

Comment

The Lady Shocks (1-6) take on former Valley foe Missouri State (1-4) at Koch Arena Wednesday at 7:00 pm. Due to scheduling problems that both teams had they have a rematch in Springfield next Thursday.

MSU's only win is gainst D-II Central Missouri State. Losses are @ Ball State (58-70), at home to #16 Missouri (59-69), vs #3 Baylor (58-100) and vs Penn (60-65) wiht the latter two games at the Junkanoo Jam in the Bahamas.

MSU is lead by rangy 5-10 Sr. G Lisa Fruendt who is averaging 16.6 points and 4.2 rebounds per game. Cesaria Ambrosio could be a key to the game as she is about the only Shocker guard with the size and length to match up with Fruendt.

Looks like a toss-up game to me that could go either way. Shocks played well last time out against UC-Irvine but it remains to be seen if that level of play can be sustained.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 28, 2017, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          The Lady Shocks (1-6) take on former Valley foe Missouri State (1-4) at Koch Arena Tuesday at 7:00 pm.
          This game is tomorrow Wednesday, not today Tuesday. You are going to have a long work week if every day is Monday. :)

Comment

• 1972Shocker
            1972Shocker commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the catch. I corrected my post.

Cesaria stepping her game up has helped the Shocks in their last couple of games. Hopefully that continues.

Comment

Wichita State Lady Shockers 72 - Missouri State Bears 58

I think we may have hired a women's basketball coach. Yeah, the Shocks are 2-6, they are a work-in-progress and aren't going to scare too many folks with the size and talent they can bring to the table but the product I saw tonight was like day vs night from what I saw in the home loss to South Dakota 11 days ago. I am clearly seeing some signs of coaching taking place and perhaps more importantly bought into by the players. They still make their share of head scratching plays here and there but tonight they overcame a definite size disadvantage against the Lady Bears and played a good all-around game both offensively, defensively and on the boards.

On the offensive end the Shocks generally had good ball and player movement and played some very nice team ball (16 assists on 24 baskets). The shot 50% from the field including 6 of 10 treys compared to 39.6% from the field for the Lady Bears including only 2 of 15 on treys (and one of those was banked in). Despite a size disadvantage the Shocks outrebounded the Bears 31-28. The Bears were 14-21 from the line but the Shocks trumped that as well going a very good 18-20 lead by Rangie's 11-12.

Nice balance for the Lady Shocks also. Rangie had 19 points but Sabrina was the POG with 16 points on 7-11 from the field 2-3 on treys and a team leading 7 rebounds. Jeliah had 12 points included 3-4 treys and Diamond added 10 points and played a terrific floor game with 6 assists and only 2 turnovers. Diamond had the primary responsibility for guarding the Bears leading scorer Lisa Freundt who did score 21 points but Diamond made her work despite giving away 6 inchers in height to Freundt who was 7-16 from the field but added 7-8 from the line. Keke scored 8 points leaving the Shocks a basket shy of 5 double digit scorers.

I was a bit curious about Angiee's lack of playing time. She played only 7 minutes while Fr. Alyssia Faye played 13 and was the principal sub for Rangie and Sabrina. Not sure what is going on there as Angiee, a senior, seems to have the tools and experience to be a far better player than Alyssia.

In any case, when I walked out of the South Dakota game my attitude was that product won't entice Shocker fans to come out to support the Ladies. Tonight was just the opposite. I enjoyed a really nice exhibition of team basketball by the Lady Shocks. I enjoyed myself. The win helps but the quality of play especially compared to 11 days ago was encouraging. I hope it continues.

Way to persevere and buy-in Ladies.

http://www.goshockers.com/news/2017/...rival-msu.aspx
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 30, 2017, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Sully reports on the Lady Shockers improved play.
              The assist totals show that Wichita State is playing offense the way coach Keitha Adams wants – moving, passing and flowing.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 30, 2017, 06:24 PM.

Comment

The Shocks take on defending Summit League champion Western Illinois on Friday at Noon in their annual Schoohouse Rocks (Your Ear Drums) game. Western Illinois returns 4 starters and 8 letter winners from last years 26-7 (13-3) NCAA team so the Shocks will have their hands full it would seem.

Western Illinois is 6-2 (4-2 against D-1 competition) and are putting up 80.3 PPG in their 6 D-1 games. However, those D-1 games carry a SOS ranking of #323 so a little hard to guage at this point. WIU did knock of Illinois 77-67 in Champaign while the Shocks lost to the Ilini 67-68 in Albuquerque.

The Shocks are only 2-6 but their SOS is a bit better at #92. In their first 6 games of the season, all losses, the Shocks averaged 60.2 PPG. They offense has started to click better in the last two games, both wins, were the Shocks put up 76 and 72 points.

I would have to think WIU would be a 5 or 6 point favorite to win this game but if the Shocks can continue their improved play they have a shot at a 3rd straight win.

Comment

There is a replay of the Missouri State game on ESPN3 with MSU announcers.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

End of 1st Quarter: Leathernecks 16 - Shockers 17

End of 2nd Quarter: Leathernecks 32 - Shockers30 (Sounds like it was a quarter played in spurts by both teams - WIU with a 3 pointer at the buzzer)

End of 3rd Quarter: Leathernecks 52 - Shockers 45 (A 13-6 spurt by WIU opened up a 9 point margin and they pretty much traded baskets after that)

Shocks getting good production from Rangie and Sabrina but not much from anyone else.

I won't be able to follow the final quarter. Hope the Shocks can rally.,
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 1, 2017, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Shockers lose to Western Illinois by 78-65.

Got further behind early in the fourth quarter, closed the gap to 66-60 and it looked like they had a chance. Then the Leathernecks ran off eight in a row and the party was over.

The Shockers never did defend the three-pointer where WIU was 14 of 32. What I think was a match-up zone gave the Shockers problems.

Rangie had 20, and Sabrina had 15 for the only Shockers in double figures.

Comment

• flyingMoose
                          flyingMoose commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Several times during the game, I had the impression that the Leathernecks flat outworked the Shockers.

• 1972Shocker
                          1972Shocker commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Did you go the game? If so, will Sabrina have to teach you to sign?

• flyingMoose
                          flyingMoose commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I was there with several thousand of my grandchildren.

Shocks sitting at 2-7 against a pretty good schedule. They have Missouri State (a toss up) in Springfield, home games they should win against UMKC (RPI 285), Chicago State (RPI 284) and Alcorn State (RPI 278) and a road game that will verly likely lose at South Dakota State. Looks like they will end the non-con at 6-8 or 5-9 depending on how round 2 with Missouri State goes and that's largely due to the remaining cupcakes on the home schedule.

Comment

Round 2 of the Shocks vs Missouri State tonight at 7:00 pm in Springfield. Shocks took round 1 at last Wednesday by a score of 72-58 as they played one of there better games this year. However, since then the Shocks took a bit of step back with a 65-78 loss to a pretty decent Western Illinois team to fall to 2-7 on the season.

Since that time MSU lost at Arkansas Little-Rock 63-51 on Monday to fall to 1-6 on the seaon with their only win over D-II Cental Missouri.

Neither team exactly clicking on all cylinders this year as their records would indicate. MSU seems to have some pretty good pieces but don't seem to be as good as their individual parts.

I suppose I would have to say this is another toss-up game for the Lady Shocks. Will just depend on who has the better outing tonight.

Shocker Game Notes.

Comment

Round 2 goes to the Lady Bears in a big way as the pound the Shocks 94-71. Shocks had a couple of players out tonight. Keke Thompson has a concussion and Jeliah Preston was ill alhtough I doubt that made that much difference.

HCKA said that outside of Diamond Lockhart her team just didn't compete and the Shocks got theri butts kicked. Just a very poor effort.

MSU was 9-22 from three and he Shocks were 0-8. Shocks were outrebounded 40-26 and were outscored 20-8 on second chance poiints and while the Shocks hit very good 15-17 from the line MSU trumpedd that hitting 25-26.

Shocks have a few cupcakes coming up with UMKC, Chicago State and Alcorn State. Good luck on drawing anyone for those games. UMKC in particular will be up against the Shocker men's game at Oklahoma State.

After a couple of good games the Shocks have fallen back to where they were earlier in the season as they fall to 2-8.

Hopefully, getting a few wins, even if against lesser competition, will give the ladies a bit of a boost.

Comment

Working...
                            X