No announcement yet.

2017 WBB Non-Conference Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Lady Shocks head south tonight to face the OSU Cowgirls in Stillwater at 7:00 pm. Not sure where Oklahoma State sits in the Big XII this year but staying compettitve in this game will be a challenge fo the Shocks I think.

Not sure how good (or bad) Incarnate Word is but OSU beat them 86-35 to open their season. Surely, the Shocks can be more competitve than that but we'll see how it goes.

Shocker game notes.

Cowgirl game notes.

Comment

Okie State leads the Shocks 55-33 at the half. Angiee Tompkins with a very nice 17 point, 6 rebound first half but Shocks simply could not stop the Cowgirls. The Shocks did score the final 5 points of the half to close the gap a little bit.

Shocks win the 3rd quarter 19-16. Trail 52-71 at the end of the quarter. Angiee Tompkins with 19 points and 7 rebounds and Rangie Bessard with 17 points and 5 rebounds leading the way for the Shocks.

Final: Oklahoma State 91 - Wichita State 67

The Shocks just could not overcome their bad start/Okie State's good start. The Shocks trailed 55-28 with 1 minute remaining in the 1st half. From that point until the end of the game the Shocks outscored the Cowgirls 39-36. The key stretch for the Shocks was last minute of the 1st half and the first 3:30 of the 2nd half when the Shocks had a 12-0 run to cut the lead to 15. But that is the closest they were able to get.

A few positives from this game:
      1. The Shocks did not fold up their tents and give up after the poor start. In the past they might have done so especially on the road.
      2. The Shocker bigs were quite effective. Angiee Tompkins had 19 points and 7 rebounds, Rangie Bessard had 17 points and 5 rebounds, and Sabrina Lozada-Cabbage had 11 points in only 9 minutes of playing time hitting all 4 of her FG attempts and both FT attempts. Fr. Alyssia Faye chipped in a basket and 2 assists as well. All in all the Shocker bigs totaled 49 points on 18-32 FG (including 3-6 3FG) and 10-11 from the line and grabbed 14 rebounds.
      3. The Shocks outrebounded the bigger Cowgirls 38-33.

On the negative side of things the Shocker guards were not very good. Diamond was okay. She scored eight points on 3-7 shooting and hit both of her FT attempts. The other 5 guards that played were a combined 3-22 from the field and 1-4 from the line and had 13 of the Shocker's 19 turnovers. Need some work there.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 15, 2017, 09:11 AM.

Comment

The Shocks fall to 0-3 on the season with a 62-48 loss to a decent South Dakota team. South Dakota outscored the Shocks 19-4 in the 2nd quarter and that was pretty much the game,

South Dakota though looked the part of the better basketball team shooting 46.7% from the field (6-22 on treys) vs 35.6% from the field (2-18 on treys for the Shocks and they used their overall sized advantage especially at wing and guard positions to pick up 10 advantage at the line hitting 14-18 free throws vs 4-6 for the Shocks.

I think the Shocks will see more of the sagging, packed in defenses like South Dakota showed today as they simply don't have a strong perimeter game.

For some reason Sabrina Lozada-Cabbage played only 2 second half minutes today. Tamara Lee was in street clothes as was Raven Prince who has yet to suit up for the Shocks (injuries I presume).

Quite frankly this program appears to be a long way from having a product the will get Shocker fans interested to any significant degree. None of the newcomers that HCKA brought in are making much of an impact. Could be this 1st year recruiting class won't amount to much.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 18, 2017, 04:52 PM.

Comment

My bad - I thought there was a thread like this and must have looked past it.

Here are the only relevant additions:

The Shockers lost Q2 by 19-4, essentially the difference in the result. HCKA tried to play Faye and Ambrosio at the same time in Q2 and (obviously) both the offense and defense suffered.

This team is only six deep.

Comment

Sorry, I didn't see you had started a separate game thread either. Not sure the interest in Shocker WBB is high enough to warrant separate game threads for one or two posts.

Comment

• flyingMoose
              flyingMoose commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh, I agree! Unfortunately. I just looked right past this thread. I have asked Kung Wu to delete the other thread.

I was sitting at the game, thinking about UConn coming here next year (that says something - I am thinking over a year ahead) and what that game will be like. They will beat us by at least 50 points and that is with all the fourth quarter and some of the third being played by their "scrubs."

• Kung Wu
              Kung Wu commented
              Editing a comment
              Deleted. But no big deal either way.

• 1972Shocker
              1972Shocker commented
              Editing a comment
              Next year could be very challenging indeed. We are basically getting nothing out of the newcomers this year and now Sabrina is not playing much for some reason. Perhaps a minor injury or illness but who knows.

Unless the 2018 recruiting class has some gems in it next year could be quite painful. Not that this year has been particularly pleasant so far although the early schedule has been pretty tough.

If you beat Tennessee on Tuesday, I will love Wichita even more than I already do.

Comment

Originally posted by UCONN_Husky View Post
              If you beat Tennessee on Tuesday, I will love Wichita even more than I already do.
              I would love for our Shockers to accommodate you but I just don't think that is in the card this year.

Comment

The Shocks are hanging tough against the Lady Vols. Trail 28-29 at the half.

Comment

I quite like what I'm seeing here!!!

Comment

Shocks fall 68-56. Not a bad effort by the Shocks. They had the game down to 51-58 with 3:00 to play and had the ball. After a Rangie Bessard miss Tennessee started to pull away as the Shocks went into a hack-a-Vol mode late.

Considering Rangie only had 9 pointys on 4-14 shooting and that the Vols shot 34 free throws to 6 for the Shockers (yes, 28 more free throw attempts) I think the Shocks did reasonably well hanging in there.

Diamond Lockhart, Jeliah Preston and Angiee Tompkins all had pretty decent games scoring 13, 12 and 12 points. Rangie did have 12 rebounds but she also had 6 turnovers.

Comment

Good fight from the ladies, I imagine having Lee would have helped us too. The lady Vols are young but have a pretty good team

Comment

Shocks are in Albuquerque this weekend for 3 games in the UNM Thanksving Classic. They open with host New Mexico on Friday evening, then Illinois on Saturday and UC Irvine on Sunday.

Looking at the teams early season results it looks like New Mexico (4-0) may be the class of this field. The are 4-0 although one of those wins was over Northern New Mexico, an NAIA school, that they beat 1074-66. There best win was an 88-87 home win over Big East favorite #16 Marquette. There other 2 wins are 88-76 over Western Michigan and 86-75 over New Mexico State. All of their games have been at home. Looks like New Mexico State plays like Drake. They try to outscore you. They score a lot but also give up a lot of points. That isn't necessarily good for the Shocks who are somewhat offensively challenged.

Illinois (3-1) has beaten Ft. Wayne, Chicago State and Bradley. Not exactly murderers row. They were drubbed 61-85 by FGCU. They are not overly big for a Big 10 team.

UC Irvine (2-2) has wins over Utah State and Portland and have losses to UNLV and Idaho State.

I don't like the style matchup that UNM presents and don't see the Shocks winning that one. I see the other 2 games against Illinois and UC Irvine as toss ups. Would be nice to see the Shocks pick up a win or two this weekend.
                        Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 21, 2017, 11:54 AM.

Comment

New Mexico 76 - Shockers 62

Shocks fall to 0-5 on the season.

The main difference between the teams appeared to be perimeter shooting. The Lady Lobos were 12-34 from behind the arc. The Lady Shocks were 4-19. Not too much of a surprise as long range shooting has not been a strong point of this Shocker team.

Tomorrow's opponent Illinois was a 65-59 winner over UC-Irvine earlier today.

Comment

A late shot by the Shocks rimmed out and the Shocks lost a tough one to Illinois 68-67 in Albuquerque.

Shocks fall to 0-6 on the season. Hopefully, they can get over the hump tomorrow against UC-Irvine.
                            ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. – Jeliah Preston's jumper with four seconds left hit the front rim and rolled around the rim before falling off, giving Illinois the 68-67 win on the second day of the UNM Thanksgiving Tournament in Dreamstyle Arena Saturday afternoon.  

Comment

The Lady Shocks pick up win #1 under HCKA with a convincing 76-53 neutral court win over UC-Irvine.

The Shocks shot 57.6% from the field lead by Rangie Bessard with 23 points on 10-15 shooting and Angiee Tompkins with 13 points on 6-10 shooting.

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. – Wichita State used a dominant third quarter to storm past UC Irvine, 76-53, Sunday afternoon in Dreamstyle Arena to pick up the first win of the Keitha Adams era.
                              Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 26, 2017, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X