No announcement yet.

i have a feeling....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if you mean by 'purely speculation' that that's ALL he's ever done, yeah, then i'd say it's purely speculation.... :)

and, by win big...i'm not talking nationally..yet...just in the area and in the conference...

and, as to reference to schaus...the ONLY real blight on his record is jane...so, i'd say ,yeah...splash...

Comment

He's never won anything at WSU or any D-1 university as a head coach. I suppose he "can" win here, but he has yet to prove that at this level (as a head coach). Which means, IMO, hiring him would not be a "splash". Perhaps a good hire if it were to happen, but hiring assistant coaches (except for the over-hype of that practice in men's basketball) just doesn't qualify in my book.

I'm probably just splitting hairs here but we've already seen that a head coach who won at the BCS level is no guarantee of success.

Comment

I would have no problem with giving Jim Littell a shot, if Jim Schaus would choose to go that route.

Whether or not he would win BIG at WSU remains to be seen. However, I would hope and I would expect that he would not be hired if Jim Schaus did not think he could WIN while running a clean program.

The performance at OSU, while only one game, is certainly not very encouraging for Jane and the Shocks.

The next 4 games become pretty important for the Shocks and Jane before starting conference play.

Comment

royal, i know you are not splitting hairs, and i really respect your posts. HOWEVER....he has won EVERYWHERE he has gone...including liberal, a non hoops spot if ever there was one , AND at friends, in big ways..yes,he has not won yet...but i'd bet plenty that he would....

Comment

I liked having Coach Smith as the women's basketball coach, however that train has long left the station.

Go Shocks!!!!
            “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
              I still think whats his name that was brought in will probably replace Jane if it comes to that.
              I agree...I don't know the backround of why he was hired, but it seems like there had to be a real reason of going from a Men's Assistant to taking a "not so great" job like this. I've heard the players really like him, too.

Comment

if so...WHY WOULD JANE ALLOW THAT?HOW BAD WOULD THAT BE FOR HER????

oops...sorry...too loud....

Comment

Originally posted by molly jabali
                  if so...WHY WOULD JANE ALLOW THAT?HOW BAD WOULD THAT BE FOR HER????

oops...sorry...too loud....
                  I have a feeling she knows she's about done. I wouldn't be surprised to see her "step down" at the end of the season.

Comment

More on Jim Littell

Molly, Jim Littel may be Plan B. I, of course, would rather see the current WSU WBB team become successful this year. However, if not, I did a little checking on Jim Littell with my 1st cousin who lives in Beaver, OK. Her daughter played for Jim Littell at Seward County back in the mid-90s. She went on to a successful career at KS State although WSU tried to recruit her when Jane Hargrove was the coach here. But, back to Jim Littell. I asked my cousin how her daughter liked him, & she said did like him & that he treated her very well. She had an excellent seasoan there before going to KSU. My cousin also said that Jim is a very good recruiter, too.

Comment

thank you, my friend....and the defense rests! :posterwsu:

Comment

mj, just curious but how old is Jim? TIA.

Comment

Littell's age

I can answer that since I saw your post come up first via my email inbasket. According to the OSU web site, Jim Littell's 1st coaching job was at Oxford, KS, in 1978. If we assume that he started there in his early 20's, then he must be in his early 50's now.

Comment

An interesting aside, although not particularly relevant, is that Jim's wife Barbara was an NAIA All-American at Friends and is in the Friends Sports Hall of Fame.

Here is the link to Jim's bio from the OSU web site:

My guess is that Jim is around 50-52 years old. So he has been around long enough to learn a lot of basketball I would think.

There is no doubt his winning percentage is very impressive. Can he reproduce that at WSU? That's the big question.

Darryl Smith was very successful at D-II Metro State, a 0.500 Coach at WSU, then has been successful again at the JUCO level.

Randy Smithson certainly had great success at the JUCO level before his so-so stint with the Shocker men.

Two things I like about Jim's record. One he has been successful at every level he has been at, including assisting OSU head coach Kurt Budke in rebuilding OSU's program and two his outstanding success at Seward County was achieved with consistency over a long period of time.

Comment

Re: Littell's age

Originally posted by xazshox
                              I can answer that since I saw your post come up first via my email inbasket. According to the OSU web site, Jim Littell's 1st coaching job was at Oxford, KS, in 1978. If we assume that he started there in his early 20's, then he must be in his early 50's now.
                              Yeah, I caught that after I posted the question. I agree. 50-52. Somewhere in there. Well seasoned, but not past his prime.

Comment

The most impressive number of all may have come in the form of Seward County’s home record in his 14 seasons. From 1995-2004, the Lady Saints did not lose a home game, posting a 135-game winning streak inside the SCCC Activities Center to set the NJCAA national record. During the course of his final 13 seasons, Littell’s squads won 99 percent of their home contests, producing an astounding record of 189-2.
                                Not bad! In fact, crazy good. :wacko:

Comment

Working...
                                X