Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regional Hosting Off The Table For Shocks

From Today's Wichita Eagle:

No chance -- WSU did not bid on a chance to host the first- and second-round of the NCAA volleyball tournament Nov. 29-Dec. 2.

Koch Arena is booked with women's basketball games on Nov. 29 and Dec. 1.

"That's not an option for us," Schaus said.

Regardless, WSU would be a long shot to host one of 16 four-team brackets. Nebraska, Kansas State and Oklahoma are likely hosts in this region. All are in the top 16 of the RPI released Wednesday by the NCAA.

WSU is No. 39. Missouri State is the top MVC team in the RPI rankings at No. 28.

I hope to hell that's the last time we make that mistake. Until women's basketball is at least capable of making the conference tournament I think we could move those games to the KC or even the PHSPA to accomodate an NCAA Volleyball bid.

That was an interesting article today. Paul addressed several items of concern and intrigue, at least for me.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
      I hope to hell that's the last time we make that mistake. Until women's basketball is at least capable of making the conference tournament I think we could move those games to the KC or even the PHSPA to accomodate an NCAA Volleyball bid.

That was an interesting article today. Paul addressed several items of concern and intrigue, at least for me.
      They probably wouldn't have enough attendance to justify an arena much bigger than the NW HS gymnasium anyways. Move the game if you gotta do it.

Comment

Actually, Doc the women's team is very capapble of making the conference tournament since beginning last year they now take all 10 teams. Unfortunately, that's about the only thing you can bet on achieving with the current state of the women's program.

However, their is no question the VB team is currently light years ahead of the Women's BB program in terms of success, the ability to compete at a national level and the ability to draw large crowds. It would be interesting to see what we could draw to an NCAA regional. Heck maybe that would even catch the attention of the Students.

rrshock is right. Any high school gym in the City would be more than adequate for the Women's BB team. In fact, it would greatly improve the atmosphere over small crowds spread out in Koch arena. We spent a whole year at Kansas Newman's 1,200 seat gym when we were rebuilding Koch Arena and it was more than adequate for most games. The KU game may have been the only full capacity game that year.

On the bright side the Shocks play very well on the road and they will not be initimidated by playing in front of large crowds as they get that opportunity routinely at Koch Arena.

Comment

I thought about the 10 team thing as I was writing the post '72, but I felt sarcasm was the better course. ;-)

You have been critical of the student support (and rightfully so imho) but I would offer this; the men's basketball team can't get 1000 students to come to the game. What makes you think anywhere near that number are going to attend volleyball? I have been thinking about the state of our "fanhood" for quite a while now and honestly haven't been too happy about where we stand today.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock

They probably wouldn't have enough attendance to justify an arena much bigger than the NW HS gymnasium anyways. Move the game if you gotta do it.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Comment

I'm sorry, but this is just another thing on the list of many that the woman's basketball program is pissing me off.

You would have a little bit of extra space, but NW gym would definitely be adequate.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
                I'm sorry, but this is just another thing on the list of many that the woman's basketball program is pissing me off.

You would have a little bit of extra space, but NW gym would definitely be adequate.
                Comeplete agreement. More of JS's favoritism toward Jane Albright in my opinion.
                Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

I'm planning to write JS a note but I would like a link to the Wichita Eagle article mentioned in the first post. I would like to reference this article in my note. (I didn't find the item when I looked at the Eagle.)
                  Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                  Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

I'm sure it seems petty to some to criticize attendance for a team that will finish in the Top 10 for the 2nd consecutive year plus a Top 15 finish 3 years ago.

For that I think Coach Lamb, his staff and players and the fans who have made that happen deserve a lot of credit.

However, I just can't shake the notion that the Shocker Nation is capable of so much more. Maybe I am simply wrong in that assumption.

Maybe the Shocker Nation is dong the max that they can right now.

The reason I pick on the students is that they get in free. At least the paying customers have the excuse that they may be tapped out financially. The students only excuse would be lack of time. However, while these excuses may be true in some cases, I'm not buying it in general.

My guess is some Shocker Fans simply have things they would rather do than attend a Volleyball game. Some Shocker Fans will simply say they have no interest at all in women's sports.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
                      I'm planning to write JS a note but I would like a link to the Wichita Eagle article mentioned in the first post. I would like to reference this article in my note. (I didn't find the item when I looked at the Eagle.)
                      Here is the link:

Last item at the bottom of the article.

Comment

Doc, I have no illusions of the VB team drawing 1,000 students to the VB matches. But I would think that 200 - 300 would be possible, especially if the female students would get involved. And if the female students got involved you are are going to drag in more than a few male students just from the pheromone effect.

:D

Comment

This topic makes me think more about that VB sized arena that some have menitoned, only I think it needs to be used for Women's basketball instead. Many schools have seperate arena's for the men's and women's teams to play in. Does UNI still use the old arena? Bradley uses theirs. What about Creighton? What will MSU do when they get the new arena (granted their WBB attendance usually is better than the men's)?

Maybe it is time to build a smaller arena, but one that will be used for those events that would draw small crowds, such as the WBB games and some VB matches. Or they could use it for VB only until the season was over, then move WBB into it. This would help with scheduling problems. How much would a smaller gymnasium (for lack of better term) cost to build?

Comment

This topic makes me think more about that VB sized arena that some have menitoned, only I think it needs to be used for Women's basketball instead. Many schools have seperate arena's for the men's and women's teams to play in. Does UNI still use the old arena? Bradley uses theirs. What about Creighton? What will MSU do when they get the new arena (granted their WBB attendance usually is better than the men's)?

Maybe it is time to build a smaller arena, but one that will be used for those events that would draw small crowds, such as the WBB games and some VB matches. Or they could use it for VB only until the season was over, then move WBB into it. This would help with scheduling problems. How much would a smaller gymnasium (for lack of better term) cost to build?
                            Maybe next year they'll just think about the scheduling. Going into the season NOBODY considered the possibility of hosting. Now that it MAY be a possibility in the future they may look to schedule appropriately.
                            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22

Maybe next year they'll just think about the scheduling. Going into the season NOBODY considered the possibility of hosting. Now that it MAY be a possibility in the future they may look to schedule appropriately.
                              I still think they can accomodate it and move the WBB games. NW or even Heights would work just fine. VB should never take a back seat to WBB at WSU, especially with the shape the WBB program is in.

Comment

Working...
                              X